Quantcast
any hook ups for Oakley sunglasses on here? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: any hook ups for Oakley sunglasses on here?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I used to feel the same way, but after going through a dozen or so cheap sunglasses, Im getting sick of going to a place that sells them, trying them on, wearing them for a couple weeks, then they break, and its just rinse & repeat all over again... Do that about 10 times, and you'll have spent enough to have bought yourself a DECENT pair of glasses that actually look good. Most $15 sunglasses, you'll look like shit in them.
    I didn't know how stupid I looked with them the majority of the time anyway, until I bought a nice set of Oakley's, and haven't looked back since. My Gascan's were only $150 though.....
    I'm totally on the same page now that I have some Oakleys. I like them and see the value in them over gas station sunglasses, but I still don't think they're worth the Canadian MSRPs. I've got a pair of Polarized wiretaps and regular Gas Cans, bought in the states for ~$200 for both which I feel was close to worthwhile, but I'd have trouble justifying them at the Canadian MSRP of ~$400+ for both. Nowadays I only use the cheap ones for working in the field where they'll get coated in abrasive mud and dust, going to the wrecking yard, or other scenarios where sunglasses have a decent chance of getting wrecked.

$5 shades also do not protect your eyes as well as a good pair, even though they may claim 100% UVA/UVB or whatever. Also good luck finding quality polarized shades for cheap. I used to buy Oakleys, now im a fan of Ray Ban.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Salt city optics will ship to Canada.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Salt city optics will ship to Canada.

$190 US for what was at local sun glass hut for $220 canadian.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

IDK, I was very tempted to buy my Oakley's on ebay, as their $90 on there.... but after the exchange rate, cost of shipping, taxes and all that other shit, it would have been not even $20 cheaper at the end of the day, plus the time of waiting for them to get here. So I just said screw it and bought them in store, and had them the same day obviously..... so thats something to consider.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by KISS_ME

Not all insurance covers sunglasses, if any at all to my knowledge. The way some people get it written off is to have the dealer write you a receipt for prescription glasses.

Hit up a eyeglass place in Chinatown, i'm sure they can read between the lines and understand what you want but be prepared to pay full MSRP if not more.

Edit: currently at ~20 pairs of oaks and few pairs of Raybans.
    I've had quite the opposite experience actually. I usually get 10% off which isn't amazing, but considering you're getting them for free through benefits, it's pretty good. I always go through the same place. Visions on center street. The place up center street in the mall charged more than retail so I stopped going there.
    Last edited by jsn; 07-12-2014 at 06:56 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I've gotten some sunglasses through an optometrist as well, just gets written as contacts/prescription glasses. Basically I can order anything that comes from Luxottica, who makes Ray-Ban, Oakley, and a bunch of other brands.

I even got an Oakley hockey visor.

My Ride
    changes every year

Got some!

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

The longevity of my glasses it directly proportional to the cost of the glasses.

i.e.
    expensive..... I sit on them within 2 weeks
    cheap....I still have a pair from high school
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    $5 shades also do not protect your eyes as well as a good pair, even though they may claim 100% UVA/UVB or whatever. Also good luck finding quality polarized shades for cheap. I used to buy Oakleys, now im a fan of Ray Ban.
    I buy polarized sunnies from Shoppers. 23$ and The pair I currently have Ive had for 2 years..

Sure Oakley has good quality, but if you suck at taking care of them they are just as breakable as any other pair.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by rotten42
    The longevity of my glasses it directly proportional to the cost of the glasses.

i.e.
    expensive..... I sit on them within 2 weeks
    cheap....I still have a pair from high school
    Lots of people say that, but I find I'm the complete opposite. My subconscious jewishness won't let me treat an expensive personal item like shit.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Benny

Lots of people say that, but I find I'm the complete opposite. My subconscious jewishness won't let me treat an expensive personal item like shit.

I try....and I bought a nice pair in Vegas that lasted me 3 years before I sat on them but for the most part it just doesn't work out. That said, I never had to wear glasses before and now that I'm an old f&ck with bad eyes for reading I did buy a pair of reading glasses worth $500 that I have had for 7 years. Maybe it is time again to try a nice pair of sunglasses.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Instead of Oakley, may I suggest Maui Jim?

Also, regarding the vision coverage... it depends on your provider. I know Alberta Blue Cross includes prescription sunglasses as part of the vision benefit. I have also noticed it depends on how the retail states the sunglasses on the invoice.

Some retail will list the non-RX sunglasses as Plano Sunglasses instead of just 'sunglasses' on the invoice. This is because some OD does recognize non-RX sunglasses is still a medical need for the eyes. But this is a grey area of debate between insurance provider and the Optometrist in Optometry industry.
    Last edited by HiSpec; 07-14-2014 at 04:46 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Who makes the clearest polarized lenses? Oakley, MJ, Revo, RayBan? Tough to find a good answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    changes every year

I love my new Oaks, what a huge difference from my other non polarized Oaks, I wish I knew how polarized were a long time ago.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    Who makes the clearest polarized lenses? Oakley, MJ, Revo, RayBan? Tough to find a good answer.
    As far as I am concerned anything of Luxottica's brands will have similar lense characteristics. I personally think Maui Jim has the best polarization, but find that there are only a few situations where I prefer this polarization, mainly in water or snowy settings. Otherwise while driving etc I prefer a standard lense.

here is a link to Luxottica brands

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Polarized prescription Ray Bans were half the cost of non-polarized prescription Oakleys.

Both frames are plastic and nearly identical shape. Such a scam Luxotica runs

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by boarderfatty

As far as I am concerned anything of Luxottica's brands will have similar lense characteristics. I personally think Maui Jim has the best polarization, but find that there are only a few situations where I prefer this polarization, mainly in water or snowy settings. Otherwise while driving etc I prefer a standard lense.

here is a link to Luxottica brands

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands
    Lux doesn't make lenses.

Each individual brands under Lux they make and design their own lenses. Lux doesn't have say in any of the optics for all the brands under them. Think about it... it doesn't make sense for Tiffany & Co. to let Lux to touch any of their designs.

Being a high myopia, I find MJ's optics are sharper on the edge of the lenses. In the center, both MJ and Oakley are similar to each other.

However, this comparison is kinda irrelevant as I wear contacts with my Oakley (they have an extremely limited range for their RX lenses) and my MJ is RX'd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2