Quantcast
Right to bear arms - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to bear arms

Originally posted by Seth1968

Tell that to the thousands of woman that get brutality raped and beaten each year because they have no (legal) viable means to protect themselves.

Originally posted by speedog

Please do enlighten us as I wasn't aware that women weren't allowed to own firearms in Canada.
    I never said that anyone wasn't allowed to own a firearm, pepper spray, or a switch blade for that matter.

What we're not allowed to do, is carry any of those in public places for self defense.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I have guns because I like guns, plain and simple. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. I took the course, got trained, passed the test, and am qualified to own an operate them. I store them as legally required. I do my due diligence in ownership.

People assume that because I own guns, I own them to fight off a hypothetical tyrannical government, or to protect my home. I'm not really worried about any of that. I think they're cool, and I enjoy shooting them.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Gun laws in Canada mean that properly and legally stored guns are useless as a home-defense tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by freshprince1
    I have guns because I like guns, plain and simple. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. I took the course, got trained, passed the test, and am qualified to own an operate them. I store them as legally required. I do my due diligence in ownership.

People assume that because I own guns, I own them to fight off a hypothetical tyrannical government, or to protect my home. I'm not really worried about any of that. I think they're cool, and I enjoy shooting them.
    I also like how anti-gun people also assume if I have a gun:

a) I must have anger/self-esteem issues,
    b) I am going to or want to kill someone ("There's no reason to own a gun unless you want to kill someone!"),
    c) I am against gun control

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

THIS.

Im not a war monger hillbilly. Shooting is a skill, i like to learn that skill and have been very safe and professional in doing so. Do guns end up in the wrong hands, sure they do. So do drivers licences and prescription medications. But there are countless people that have those that use them properly too. Guns are no exception. When used safely and properly, they are a lot of fun. Ive met lots of good people through firearms.
    Last edited by civic_stylez; 07-14-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Seth1968
    What we're not allowed to do, is carry any of those in public places for self defense.
    If you work for brinks you're allowed to carry guns in public places for self defense.
    I wonder why people don't attempt to attack brinks employees.

Canadians like to pretend that no one in Canada is allowed to carry guns in public. They have been around guns in public all their lives and the only time they freak out is when they see someone in public carrying a gun when they aren't wearing a blue costume with a badge on their shirt.

When you retire from the police force you don't suddenly turn from someone who is capable of carrying a gun in public safely to a danger to society.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-14-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Gun laws in Canada mean that properly and legally stored guns are useless as a home-defense tool.

Both posts 100% on point IMO. I am a gun owner and I love my hobby. With that said I think we do not need open carry laws in Canada. Believe it or not there are unstable people out there who are able to own firearms and it's too easy for someone to get a little trigger happy in a tense situation/argument when you can lack a better sense of judgement.. Just imagine someone pulling a gun on you in a road rage situation.

What I think needs looking into is the "restricted" classification system of firearms... It is a complete joke. IMO there should only be the "prohibited" firearms and the not's. Another thing that needs to be revised in Canada is the right to protect yourself and your household. Our system is so flawed in that regard that you will actually have police suggesting that you make sure the intruder is not taken in alive.

Originally posted by Modelexis

If you work for brinks you're allowed to carry guns in public places for self defense.
    Yep. If you're an enforcer for certain corporations, aka, government, then it's all good to carry a gun for self defense. But if a taxpayer pepper sprays an assailant, they could be charged, and basically have their life ruined.

Originally posted by euro_racer

Both posts 100% on point IMO. I am a gun owner and I love my hobby. With that said I think we do not need open carry laws in Canada. Believe it or not there are unstable people out there who are able to own firearms and it's too easy for someone to get a little trigger happy in a tense situation/argument when you can lack a better sense of judgement.. Just imagine someone pulling a gun on you in a road rage situation.
    I don't buy this argument that if people were allowed to protect themselves, then Canadian society would erupt into anarchy.

Point is, we have the right to defend ourselves, our property, and our families. The outcome of that right is a moot point.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Just imagine someone pulling a gun on you in a road rage situation.
    Side arm carry is legal in the states and the only time I've ever heard of a gun being pulled in traffic by a legal gun owner is by a police officer.

When you go to the shooting range are you afraid to talk to anyone in case they might flip out on you and shoot you? According to you a shooting range is one of the most dangerous places in Canada since you have civilians with loaded weapons interacting with the public.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-14-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

Exactly...Well said.
    As well... most people are completely ignorant to the firearms classification and licensing process in Canada, but they all have opinions on the matter

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Travis Baumgartner has pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree murder before a judge alone.

He has also admitted to an original charge of attempted murder in the serious wounding of a fourth guard.

An overnight crew of five armed guards employed by security company G4S was reloading ATM machines on the university campus in June 2012.
    You were saying?

Anyways I am all for gun ownership but within reasons. Shotguns and hunting rifles? Sure. Handguns? Not so much. Assault rifles? Yeah no...

Shooting can be a fun past time along with hunting but we don't need the whole craziness of assault rifles or handguns.

What I think needs looking into is the "restricted" classification system of firearms... It is a complete joke. IMO there should only be the "prohibited" firearms and the not's. Another thing that needs to be revised in Canada is the right to protect yourself and your household. Our system is so flawed in that regard that you will actually have police suggesting that you make sure the intruder is not taken in alive.
    If those 'unstable' people in Canada already have access to firearms do you really think they aren't carrying them with them because the law says they can't?

My Ride

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

You were saying?

Anyways I am all for gun ownership but within reasons. Shotguns and hunting rifles? Sure. Handguns? Not so much. Assault rifles? Yeah no...

Shooting can be a fun past time along with hunting but we don't need the whole craziness of assault rifles or handguns.
    Define "Assault Rifle..."
    Is it anything that looks scary?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

You were saying?

First, can you describe "assault rifle"? You are either referring to a firearm that has black/tactical furniture or to one that has a high rate of fire and a large magazine. You are not referring to anything capable of automatic fire since those are prohibited in Canada anyway.

Handguns are classed as restricted in Canada. This means I'm allowed to use it at the range and at approved shooting events. I need to apply to the Chief Firearms Officer for authorization to transport it from my house to the range or to a gunsmith, if I get busted with no authorization, I am in serious trouble.

The same restrictions are placed on many "assault rifles", which is a horribly misinformed term tossed around to invoke fear.

The hunting rifles you say should be allowed are just as lethal as the firearms you see no use for, same goes with shotguns. The ability to conceal a firearm based on size is not a factor since once a non-restriced firearm goes below a certain length, it is classified as restricted and all the conditions attach.

Out of curiosity, should the brown rifle below be allowed and the black one be banned?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It's 100% possible to legally store a firearm in such a manner that would allow it to be use in a home defense situation.
    Last edited by FraserB; 07-14-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by Anomaly

Define "Assault Rifle..."
    Is it anything that looks scary?
    It is if you're the RCMP haha, several guns are restricted based solely on looks, even .22's and those whose actions cannot be modified in any way to make them full auto, and those whose actions are used in other non-restricted models, etc.

The "people should be able to own rifles and shotguns but not hand guns or assault rifles" argument is always one I've found ridiculous. Why not limit all cars to 100HP while we're at it? I bet we would have less fatalities and less high speed car chases. Oh and Alcohol, if it was banned, we'd have fewer drunk drivers turning these vehicles into dangerous weapons...I'm sure that would be well accepted.

People support things that are convenient for them. Apply gun-hater logic to a possession they are fond of that is legal, but when used illegally can be dangerous (take your pick: car, knife, hammer, baseball bat, golf clubs, etc.), and watch what happens.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-14-2014 at 11:21 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    I'd also like to see a cap on the amount of guns you're allowed to own- there's absolutely no need for a responsible citizen to have 40+ firearms in their homes.
    Good point. While we're at it; we need to cap the amount of cars you can own, the amount of knives you're allowed to have in your house and the amount of alcohol you're allowed to have. No responsible citizen needs more than one car, 40+ knives or 40+ liters of booze.

Placing arduous restrictions on people who legally possess an item in an attempt to curtail the illegal use of those items is pointless and has no basis in fact.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by FraserB

It's 100% possible to legally store a firearm in such a manner that would allow it to be use in a home defense situation.
    People have found ways to do it yes, but aside from using a safe in your bedside table you can't really do it. You can't store ammo with a gun unless they are locked up together. You must lock a gun while it's stored. A gun cannot be loaded when it's stored.

If you need a gun quickly those factors get in the way. Effectively eliminating the possibility to store a firearm to be used in a home defends situation.

Yes I know you can buy a Gunvault and keep a loaded mag next to an unlocked handgun inside of it but that vault isn't always where you are...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Killramos, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast