Quantcast
Acura TL Owners? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Acura TL Owners?

My Ride
    Has AWD

Default Acura TL Owners?

Any Acura TL owners on beyond? Im looking at potentially buying an 04-08 TL within the next year. Id love to meet up with an 04-08 TL owner and chat about the car and get a first hand opinion of the vehicle from someone who has been driving one. It will be my 3rd Acura, or 4th Honda depending how you look at it

I don't own a 3rd gen TL anymore but they are fantastic cars. I had an 05 Dynamic in manual. The only thing that broke out of warranty during the time I owned it was the throttle position sensor. The syncro's were replaced under warranty as well.

If you aren't getting a Type S then I would probably suggest you hunt for a clean dynamic manual. The 3.2 is a decent motor and has more than ample power. It never feels like it lacks power, but it isn't super fast by today's standards

My Ride
    V8s

Go for a 6MT.

I had a 3.2cl type-s 6mt and loved it. I would have really considered one of these cars when I replaced my cl. Main reason I wound up with a G35 is I wanted something RWD (and didn't want the maintenance headache of an off-warranty german car).

I've repeatedly read about transmission issues, but stick with the manual and you'll be good to go. 90% of them are probably automatic though. Never ended up buying one of these, but they have been on my shopping list several times when looking for a good, cheap, car.

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

my uncle has one, they are very nice cars, he has a 05 a-spec 6sp, and its very
    powerful, has a lsd in it too, it had a 3rd gear shifting issue before but GM synchromesh fluid fixed the problem, we threw in a cold air intake and it sounds so beast!

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I've repeatedly read about transmission issues, but stick with the manual and you'll be good to go. 90% of them are probably automatic though. Never ended up buying one of these, but they have been on my shopping list several times when looking for a good, cheap, car.
    The older gen TL was the one with transmission problems, 99-03

Originally posted by G-ZUS

The older gen TL was the one with transmission problems, 99-03
    All TL's have transmission problems! (Probably excluding the 1st gen)

For some reason, Honda/Acura could never build a proper transmission for these cars. Second gen TL's have it the worst, 3rd gen's mostly have issues in 04-05. Early 4th gens have vibration issues and other torque converter issues along with prop shaft issues in the SHAWD models.

Other than transmissions, these cars make wonderful daily drivers.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by sneek

For some reason, Honda/Acura could never build a proper transmission for these cars. Second gen TL's have it the worst, 3rd gen's mostly have issues in 04-05. Early 4th gens have vibration issues and other torque converter issues along with prop shaft issues in the SHAWD models.

That's weird, I thought they had ironed out the transmission issues 3 of my friends have a TL from this generation and no one complained of any transmission related problems. Friggin Honda

I own an 07 TL-S. I've had the car for 4 years now, longest vehicle i've own by far.

Things i love about the car:
    - Interior is really nice
    - Seats are awesome
    - Makes decent power for a honda
    - Handles pretty good.
    - 6 speed is great ( i wouldn't go with auto)
    - Very reliable
    - IMHO the best looking Acura in a little while (excluding the NSX)
    - Good resale if i do decide to part with it

Things i don't love about the car:
    - Road noise could be lower
    - Random rattles around the car. (i hate it enough to pretty much ripped the entire rear and fix all the rattles)

I'd recommend getting 07-08 TL-S 6 Speed with the pearl white. (if you can find one)

My Ride
    UA6

I have an 06 TL A-Spec 6MT. It's a great daily driver and imo the best looking TL that Acura made. The interior is great and looks much better than newer gen TLs. I've owned it since 2010 and haven't had any problems with it. As mentioned above, there is a known issue with 3rd gear grinding in the 6MT but can be fixed by swapping the fluid for GM synchromesh. I have only experienced the third gear grinding a handful of times so it is not a persistent problem on mine.

My Ride
    2008 UA7

I have a 2008 TL Type s and its been amazing so far. Loving the interior and dash, especially the Type S interior. Power is great (coming from a TSX), and the sound system is awesome. Only thing i really dont like are the rattling door panels, and the milage. It could be just a little better.

From what i've read on Acurazine they said avoid 04-06 for tranny problems. 07-08 they beefed up the autos and manuals basically making the car perfect and bullet proof. Dont know if its just my car but my brakes went away pretty fast.

TL meet anyone lol?
    1998 Honda Civic SI *totalled*
    2000 Honda Prelude *sold*
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*
    2008 Acura TL Type S *current daily*
    2015 KTM RC390 *current daily*

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

My dad has one, I like the styling of them a lot I think after 09 the body is not as nice as it was on the 04-08, but that is my opinion.

Hasn't had much complaints with the car, it feels solid and drives nice. It is an automatic, but he babies the car quite a bit and hasn't had any issues yet with it so far. It was brought up from the states though in late 07 I believe.

The only complaint he has, which based on a number of internet users, is that the engine falls into resonance at a certain RPM, so when you are cursing at this RPM it makes a weird sound.

The only issue I recall was there was a power steering hose recall that needs to be done on the vehicles because it can break? Can't recall.

If you are looking to put mods in the car, then it isn't very friendly, as there are limited options unless you are willing to spend money. I believe Comptech use to make a super charge for the units, but required a battery relocation to the trunk. I mean you can get do the CAI, PCDs, J-pipe and exhaust. Otherwise you are pretty limited.

My Ride
    Has AWD

so far spot on beyond, lots of answers to questions I had. I refuse to drive auto so no worry there. Modding im looking for very minimal items, XLR8 dual exhaust, AEM V2 Intake, MAYBE tuning but probably just gunna leave it alone. Ultimately its just a daily driver so Id rather save my money to put it into a track car.

Id come to a TL meet if a few of you wanted to have a quick one this next weekend or perhaps later this week?

Originally posted by G-ZUS

That's weird, I thought they had ironed out the transmission issues 3 of my friends have a TL from this generation and no one complained of any transmission related problems. Friggin Honda
    I might have just been unlucky but AcuraZine seems to have a fair number of 04-05 TL's with problems. Mine was an 05. To be fair, Honda has always stepped up to the plate to fix any issues.

I have to second the complaints about road noise for this car. The noise cancellation that they put in doesn't do anything IMO. The car is okay on gas but nothing to write home about. The 4th gen TL has a good amount more sound deadening, but still lot louder than an F30 335.

My Ride
    Has AWD

so i can choose reliablity/cheep to fix, OR, i can have a quiet interior and pay out the ass in parts/labour anywhere i go..........tough choice, i will take reliability/cheep to fix cause im not baller lol

My Ride
    2008 UA7

Just had my Type S at Silverhill last week getting all the recalls done. Something with my AC and my powersteering hose leak (mine was quite bad, it was leaking everywhere).
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

If you are looking at anything exhaust, I would say to take a look at RV6 Performance.

The older stuff had some issues, but he has worked out all the kinks in his new product line. I know that he had a dual exhaust set up.

I know the 3.2 block stroked to 3.5 ltrs is good for 240 hp and 220 ft lbs on tomas dyno so there is potential.

My Ride
    2008 UA7

heard xlr8 and atlp is pretty good too. xlr8 sounds the best IMO, looks really nice also. Checkout HeelToe Auto for awesome TL parts.
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by sneek

It's almost all the NA produced Honda/Acuras with 3.0L/3.2L/3.5L engines mated to autos, Odysseys/Accords/MDXs/TLs/CLs. I was working for the dealer when the recalls and TSBs were happening, the fix seemed to be swap the tranny with a new one and install the 2nd gear oil jet kit or if you were under a certain number of kms and it passed visual inspection, just install the oil jet kit.

If your Honda product had either of these done, they're more or less good to go for awhile in terms of the tranny issues.

On OPs topic though I would have to choose a Dynamic 6MT if I was looking for a UA8-UA9 TL, albeit the 6MT had 2 things I hated (the earlier models seemed to have ridiculous and sometimes dangerous torque steer at WOT, the thing even had an LSD iirc but it still would jump lanes like no one's business and the super low OEM clutch friction point), it was definitely a fun car, a fat pig in terms of weight but all round nice car to drive especially on the highway. Both Auto and manuals also had a rear bumpstop recall that killed tire wear, just fyi to look into OP.

Originally posted by triplep
    My dad has one, I like the styling of them a lot I think after 09 the body is not as nice as it was on the 04-08, but that is my opinion
    I think that's everyone's opinion haha. The newer models look like fat chicks in a bikini