Quantcast
Street racers busted doing triple the speed limit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Street racers busted doing triple the speed limit

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Street racers busted doing triple the speed limit

Happened up in Edmonton. Anyone know any of these daredevil's?

EDMONTON – Two drivers are facing charges after being caught travelling nearly three times the legal limit in north Edmonton.

Police say an officer on a police motorcycle saw two high-end vehicles weaving in and out of traffic at high rates of speed on 137 Avenue and Castle Downs Road on Monday evening.

The Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG and BMW M5 were recorded on a radar going 160 kilometres per hour in a 60 zone.

The officer pulled over the two vehicles.

Ahmad Sayed Abou Alhassan, 26, and Jamal Ibrahim Smilley, 21, have both been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

“We all hear speed kills. yada yada yada. But the actual physics…at that speed in ideal conditions — provided you’re not skidding, your tires don’t lock up and you’re not on gravel — you’re looking at 328 metres before the vehicle comes to a rest,” said Sgt. David Green of the Edmonton Police Service.

He said that means a driver would need to be aware of anything that’s three blocks ahead.

“The odds of getting into a collision at that speed are astronomical.”

Monday’s incident happened two days after an alleged street racing incident on Wayne Gretzky Drive, where two vehicles lost control and went into a ravine.

Edmonton police say there have been 248 mandatory court tickets issued for excessive speeding in the city, which is more than 50 km/h over the posted speed limit, and 21,666 speeding tickets.

Last year, there were 369 mandatory court tickets and 32,406 speeding tickets issued.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1454174/ed...street-racing/

My Ride
    8P 3.2

An M5 will stop from 100km/h in about 30 meters. So likely under 60 meters to stop from 160km/h.

These guys were idiots no doubt. Should have their licenses taken. But not sure why the police officer needed to make shit up when saying it takes 328 meters to stop an M5. Hope this officer never relays a "fact" in court.

How about 155kph in a 50 in Medicine Hat on June 5 - link.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-12-2020 at 10:49 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

1076 ft from 100 mph to 0. This story brought to you buy 30forsunnyside.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 12:47 AM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Whoa...

Isn't there a beyond member in Medicine Hat who owns a 2014 Camaro?.. *cough* SKR *cough*
    Wasn't me. I drive like a grandmother.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's 30m for a C63 at 160km/h. I was wondering about that 3 block exaggeration too. I'm pretty sure I can beat that on ice.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

These cars can probably stop faster being right side up wheels down - but if flipped/ rolled it's probably much more. Perhaps that's what the officer had in his mind, but didn't explain well enough?

160km/h in a 60.... f*cking stupid...

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

They're just adding a 90% texting tax to the stopping distance.

When an obstacle is encountered:

0m - "Let me finish up this snapchat, bro. How do I put it sideways again?"
    50m - "Oh shit bro."
    100m - "Which one of these two pedals is the brake again?"
    150m - Gentle, housewife-esque braking pressure begins. The exotic German luxury car is pushed to 1.7% of its Nurburgring-designed potential.
    165m - World Cup flags deploy, causing atmospheric drag to slow the car further.
    175m - "Oh shit, bro."
    200m - The unbelted driver bounces around in his seat. Braking pressure reduces.
    220m - A six meter wide pothole punctures both front tires and collapses the control arms.
    328m - The car slides to a stop against a broken-down bro truck, its Rockstar wheels gently forming dew in the cold morning. It's like a Norman Rockwell painting.
    329m - Text messages are sent to hundreds of Kijiji sellers in order to acquire a "big brake kit bro"

I thought it was cool that the original press release tells people to "take it to the track" and offers directions and schedules for when Castrol has public drags. If only the CPS could do the same.
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 07-17-2014 at 07:17 AM.

My Ride
    FT86

It takes less than a meter to fully stop while travelling at a rate of 160 km/h if you hit a solid enough object.

I imagine that in one of these vehicles the police found an ounce of marijuana with a street value of $100,000.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    An M5 will stop from 100km/h in about 30 meters. So likely under 60 meters to stop from 160km/h.

These guys were idiots no doubt. Should have their licenses taken. But not sure why the police officer needed to make shit up when saying it takes 328 meters to stop an M5. Hope this officer never relays a "fact" in court.
    That article is so poorly worded. I would imagine that on a flat clean road with good tires yes your right it could.

But you take that same situation and throw a out of control car into the mixture and gravity will take over and throw down the road a long ways.

My Ride
    POS

328 feet is exactly 100 meters. Cop probably got his measurements mixed up. Not sure where he got the 3 block thing though. Maybe if the car rolled over and came to a stop on it's roof it would take 3 blocks to stop

Regardless, the drivers need their licenses take away for doing this type of speed in a 60 zone.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by schocker
    1076 ft from 100 mph to 0. This story brought to you buy 30forsunnyside.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

While I don't agree with the distance he stated you guys have to remember the figures you are quoting for braking distances are for cars on proper surfaces with warm tires/brakes and don't take into account any reaction times.

@160km/hr you're travelling 45 meters / second. The average person takes about a second to react to something unexpectedly, and another second to let off the gas and get fully on the brake. (Yes I'm sure all you beyonder's are pro race car drivers with record reaction times but these guys don't seem overly bright to begin with)

So something happens and he's already gone 90 meters when braking starts.

Car and driver claims 165 feet for 70mph to 0, lets say 225 ish feet for 100mph then. (~70 meters)

So you have 90 meters reaction, then 70 meters braking... 160 meters total. A lot of avenues are spaced 100 meters apart so while 3 blocks is BS ... it really could be a block and a half before the car can stop, provided it is still on its tires with good grip.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^ 1s reaction time seems way too high though unless you are 1000 years old

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't think anyone is condoning the speed, just criticizing the bullshit propaganda.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by schocker
    ^^^ 1s reaction time seems way too high though unless you are 1000 years old
    Not overly if it's something you aren't expecting.

Reaction times at drag strips or those hit a button when the light flashes are different because you're actually concentrating on it waiting for it.

Ever been driving down the highway and seen a deer out of nowhere and slammed on your brakes? Sometimes it does take longer than you expect to react if you aren't watching for deer. If you know the road has lots of deer and are actively looking then you react quicker.

I doubt these idiots were paying 100% attention to whats around them if they got busted. More likely they were paying more attention to who was winning / going faster and shit.

My Ride
    Whirlpool Deluxe washing machine

I have seen cars top out faster.

Bart.
    First On Race Day, once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast