Quantcast
Anyway to bypass iCloud activation? I think I got scammed... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyway to bypass iCloud activation? I think I got scammed...

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

Default Anyway to bypass iCloud activation? I think I got scammed...

Hey guys,

I bought a used iphone 5s off kijiji... yeah I know not the smartest move but continuing on...

the owner said he had restored the device and it was on the set up screen. So I thought sure it must be fine.

Then I got home, connected to my wifi...and the phone is locked to an apple ID.

I called the guy and i got some app message...so the number he had given me was from a texting/calling app....

So as it stands I have a brick. I can't activate the device cuz it's locked to the apple ID.

Do you guys know what can be done? Please help me out!
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    G37S

You probably bought a stolen phone.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Hard reset? Or you could try putting it into DFU mode, and see if you can wipe it from there using itunes.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Find out if it is stolen here by checking to see if it is black listed.

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-...ice-in-canada/

If it is blacklisted and stolen, might as well turn it over to the CPS and depending on what happens, you might get it back.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Joe-G
    Hard reset? Or you could try putting it into DFU mode, and see if you can wipe it from there using itunes.
    Yes, lets try and teach people how to bypass security and use stolen goods.

If it was your phone that got stolen, I am sure you would want it back.

Either way, that won't work as the Black list is maintained outside of service providers and manufacturers.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by Joe-G
    DFU doesn't work either. Brother in law gave me an old company iPhone 4 so that I could use as an iPod that has been sitting there for awhile. Turns out it was cloud locked as well and now just a paper weight as the guy is no longer with the company.

My take on the cloud lock is that whenever you have a phone lost or stolen, there is really only a small chance of getting the phone back. Guess who really wins? Apple with more paperweights and sales.

DFU doesn't work as it's one of the key security features of iOS 7. You're basically SOL

1. Steal phone

2. Pretend you bought a phone off kijiji and ask beyond.ca how to bypass security since rightful owner bricked it reporting it stolen

3. Use information given to unlock phone or resell stolen phone on kijiji to unexpected smuck

4. Profit

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

yes cuz that's exactly what I do, go around stealing phones.

Anyway thanks for your response everyone, my bad luck
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

Originally posted by r0g3r
    yes cuz that's exactly what I do, go around stealing phones.

Anyway thanks for your response everyone, my bad luck
    Things have been quiet lately at beyond. Could use a good ole epic thread. Post the phone number for the scammer and any info you have
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jltabot
    DFU doesn't work as it's one of the key security features of iOS 7. You're basically SOL
    This. It's a great feature to prevent theft.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Since you can't use the phone, you might as well check with Apple or CPS to verify that it's been reported stolen and track down the owner.

At least give this person their phone back.

And on that note, always be careful buying phones on Kijiji.

- Ask the seller for the IMEI number and the serial number

- Run the serial number and IMEI in the national CPIC database. As long as you have the serial number, any member of the public can use this search tool. If the phone was reported stolen to any police agency, it will appear when you run it in CPIC, and you can lead CPS to the scammer (CPIC site: http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformproperty.cfm)

- Call the network to verify the status of the phone. And verify the IMEI of the phone against the one you were given when you meet the seller

It might be a hassle, but it saves you money and even more hassle in the long run. If the seller doesn't want to give you any of that information about the phone, move on. That's a warning sign that you're dealing with a stolen phone, or a seller who's not on the up and up.

EDIT: Heck, you have the phone with you. Run the serial number and IMEI, see if you get a positive result. If so, you'll have to hand it over to CPS. If not, take it to Apple and see if they can track down the owner.

It's not always theft guys. I bought a used iPad and told the guy to wait while I do a erase and reset and low and behold it asked for the apple id at which time the guy provided no questions asked but he honestly didn't know that was a feature and he thought all he needed to do was delete all his apps. Not saying this is the case here, but it's a possibility.

Check youtube, there are ways to get the apple id email and you can contact the owner that way. If it does happen to be stolen you can do a good deed and return it to the owner.

There are ways to change IMEI numbers on phones. It's beyond most scammers technical sophistication though. It also usually takes some time before the IMEI hits the databases so just checking it won't necessarily mean the phone isn't in the process of being blacklisted.

You can also bypass the iPhone Activation Lock system. I'm not going to discuss how though(Don't bother PM'ing me and asking) but people have to remember once you have physical access to the device software security is pretty much a paper tiger. Phone phreaking isn't dead its just moved onto cell phones.

Pm'd

Originally posted by Stealth22
    Since you can't use the phone, you might as well check with Apple or CPS to verify that it's been reported stolen and track down the owner.

At least give this person their phone back.

And on that note, always be careful buying phones on Kijiji.

- Ask the seller for the IMEI number and the serial number

- Run the serial number and IMEI in the national CPIC database. As long as you have the serial number, any member of the public can use this search tool. If the phone was reported stolen to any police agency, it will appear when you run it in CPIC, and you can lead CPS to the scammer (CPIC site: http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformproperty.cfm)

- Call the network to verify the status of the phone. And verify the IMEI of the phone against the one you were given when you meet the seller

It might be a hassle, but it saves you money and even more hassle in the long run. If the seller doesn't want to give you any of that information about the phone, move on. That's a warning sign that you're dealing with a stolen phone, or a seller who's not on the up and up.

EDIT: Heck, you have the phone with you. Run the serial number and IMEI, see if you get a positive result. If so, you'll have to hand it over to CPS. If not, take it to Apple and see if they can track down the owner.
    I just wanted to add a little personal experience and lesson learned to this.
    Everything said above is bang on, and as someone mentioned it some times takes time for the IMEI to make it onto the list. While you have the seller there contact the phone carrier and have the actual IMEI checked and transferred from sellers account to buyers account.
    Not sure if the phone I purchased was in the process of being added to the black list or if the seller called and reported it stolen about week and half later but I have a great new ipod

My Ride
    Pushbroom

The phone can be "hacktivated" however, I'd try to find out if its solem first and contact the original owner.