Quantcast
Question on tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question on tires

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Default Question on tires

Well I have some asymmetrical tires on the front and directional on the rear. I was told this is an issue. This is on a rear wheel only used in the summer. Tires go fast in the back end and I never really cared just matched the proper size.

I have search and haven't found a real answer to why its an issue.

Am I good? its mostly city driving no tracking of the car and its not bagged on. Will have a little fun on open Alberta highways but don't push the car to the limits.

Your thoughts!!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Ive used directional and non directional on the same car before with no issues... for street driving? I seriously wouldn't bother caring. For VERY spirited driving as in track days, you may have an issue. What exactly? I dont know, as Ive never noticed any odd behavior with the tires or the car.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

This is fine, Pirelli actually sells the sells their P-Zero Rosso line as both asymmetric and directional that can be interchanged and run mixed.

Their reasoning is directional up front provides better traction and grip for your turning tires up front while the asymmetric tires in the rear provide better performance in other aspects.

That being said, I have run a set of mismatched pirelli's on my P-car and was not a huge fan of them. I prefer running asymmetric or directional on all four corners.

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Lol, I have those on my Buick, OEM tires. With the treadware of 220, Id much steer clear of those. Sure they handle great, but at 35k, the tires were already completely toast. For the $1500 I need to replace them, there are far better options out there.

Quick question, where did he say he's rockin' Pirelli's?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ Lol, I have those on my Buick, OEM tires. With the treadware of 220, Id much steer clear of those. Sure they handle great, but at 35k, the tires were already completely toast. For the $1500 I need to replace them, there are far better options out there.

Quick question, where did he say he's rockin' Pirelli's?
    Quick Answer he asked if it was bad to mismatch directional and asymmetric. I said Pirelli designs their tires to be used that way (so it can not be terrible) He doesnt have pirelli's but is running his current tires in a set up pirelli uses. I have personally had them, I have personally thought they were not very good
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

Only time I would imagine it would be an issue is on an AWD car or mixing on the same axel. Even then its more the fact that you're mixing brands with different grip levels that would cause the issue. If it was something similar to the Pirelli's mentioned above I'd very much doubt it'd cause much of an issue in daily driving if they're providing similar levels of grip.

In a situation like you are describing, it isn't going to cause issue. It may not be 100% optimal in theory, but it is not like you are trying to tune your suspension and handling characteristics attempting to shave a thousanth of a second off you lap times... Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Firgured. The issue was i had purchased tires from tire rack. Kal tire being the closets shop to do a tire change i decided to go there plus i could get it almost instantly. Went to get a hair cut came back and i was told they couldn't mix and match the tires as it was against company policy. Asked for an reasoning behind this, and i got nothing but a blank stare. I told him it made absolutely zero sense. I had zero idea about directional, symmetrical etc tires before hand cause its not something i noticed before