Quantcast
Private parking signs on public streets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Private parking signs on public streets

Default Private parking signs on public streets

Was surfing the 311 site and came upon this one - complaint about people/businesses putting out private parking signs on public streets, in this case it was reported to be valet parking that put out their own signs on River Front Avenue and then charged to park in those spaces on a public street. Link to specific 311 report.

Now this isn't the only spot I've heard or seen this type of activity - there's a private/charter school (not sure which) in our community that puts out their own no parking signs every school day on a public street that has no parking restrictions. People generally obey those signs but I've often thought I should take thee 4 vehicles in our household and park them up there and see what they would do. Seeing as they're not a CoC sign, I would suspect there's nothing they could do.

Another area that has created concerns in the past is the area in front of the Rush restaurant downtown as they used to do the temporary valet parking area on a public street although that may have changed.

The deal with school's putting out their own special parking signage seems to be gaining traction as I've seen this around other schools in the city - as such, has anyone ever challenged people/businesses that put out these private parking signs on parking spaces on public streets? What's has been your experience if any?
    Last edited by speedog; 07-20-2014 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

As you mentioned, Rush does this for the street parking for their valet. My fight with them ended up with spit all over my car. They also back cars into traffic to avoid driving around the block to their parkade entrance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I've wondered about this myself, construction guys just put them out randomly when they need to park on the street next to their job site or use part of the street to store machinery.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Mar
    I've wondered about this myself, construction guys just put them out randomly when they need to park on the street next to their job site or use part of the street to store machinery.
    Walked by a makeshift fenced area on 4th ave with construction workers vehicles parked there. It was right by a job sight and the parking authority guy was there giving them all tickets.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Mar
    This is the biggest pet peeve of mine EVER.

Particularly when they shut down a lane of traffic for a full kilometre just to put up metal fences on the street and all that I see inside, everyones personal pickup trucks...

The worst part about this is they are billing taxpayers to rent those F*ing fences.

Construction workers sad about not being able to park near their work sights or *shudder* paying to park?

I take the god damn bus to work because its to expensive to park downtown, they shouldn't get a free pass...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Man, if I saw shit like that going on, I would totally park my truck and trailer right in the middle of their "valet" zone. If they want to spit on it, a quick video of it happening would change things pretty quick too when you drag em into court for a detailing bill.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

Originally posted by Mar
    Contractors are supposed to have permits from the City which allows them to have an area set aside for their equipment, vehicles etc.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

Originally posted by 2000TL
    Contractors are supposed to have permits from the City which allows them to have an area set aside for their equipment, vehicles etc.
    Temporary 'No Parking permit (link)' in combination with a 'Street USe permit (link)' - not sure if said permits have to be displayed but I would bet the schools that are putting out their private parking signage are not even getting any permits.

I always wondered about that. I get having parking blocked off for construction vehicles, but outside of some sites (6ave east of the ctrain in the EV for example), there are sandwich board no parking signs set up and a bunch of run down neons and cavaliers parked there.

Originally posted by J-D
    I always wondered about that. I get having parking blocked off for construction vehicles, but outside of some sites (6ave east of the ctrain in the EV for example), there are sandwich board no parking signs set up and a bunch of run down neons and cavaliers parked there.
    So download the 311 app and give it a whirl.

My Ride
    Has AWD

did they ever appologize?

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by MGCM

did they ever appologize?
    man i just read that whole thing what a waste of time.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by blairtruck

man i just read that whole thing what a waste of time.
    do u want a lollipop or something?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

True. Working for the power company if we need parking bans we get permits thru CPA. First we give people a warning and repeat offenders get ticketed and towed. Most people that get towed are surprised those little no parking signs actually mean no parking.