Quantcast
Red wine, ideas? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Red wine, ideas?

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Default Red wine, ideas?

So I have my wedding next weekend and was looking to order a case of red (we're having a smaller shindig). What would be a good all round red for having on the tables to go with sirloin steak? It should probably be a nice drinkable wine with or without the steak and one that would work well for a possibly hot summer evening?

Probably on the cheaper end of wines but looking for a good bang for buck type. I'm not much of a wine guy.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Apothic red = Cheap and good

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by kvg

Apothic red or white is delicious for the price. ($10.50 a bottle)

Originally posted by kvg
    Um please no. I collect wine and there are a tonne of better options. A nice and relatively cheaper option is CoppolaClaret. It's a California blend a great wine that both wine people and non wine people will enjoy. It typically goes for$28/bottle aat most wine stores however you can get it for $18/bottle at Costco. The bottles are easy to spot as they are black label with gold meshing around the whole bottle.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

"hot summer evening" = sangria

If you are planning on drinking after the meal, nothing better if it is hot out.

Coppola Claret at less than $20 is a deal, I've had a few bottles as well as one bottle of Apothic red. I'd lean towards the Coppola, better taste and a better back story.

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Ok thanks for the ideas so far, we have Pimms as our feature 'summer' drink. I have a friend who's big into reds and suggested a malbec reserva for around $20/bottle, has anyone tried type?

Try Bonterra Cabernet, California organic goes very well with steak yet light and drinkable when it's hot out. Normally $21-$22/bottle but I've seen it as low as $14.50 at Costco.

Go to Costco liquor store and get what they have. Usually have the more popular brands and a little cheaper.

Sangria could really get the party going if it's strong.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by VWEvo

Um please no. I collect wine and there are a tonne of better options. A nice and relatively cheaper option is CoppolaClaret. It's a California blend a great wine that both wine people and non wine people will enjoy. It typically goes for$28/bottle aat most wine stores however you can get it for $18/bottle at Costco. The bottles are easy to spot as they are black label with gold meshing around the whole bottle.
    +1

I'm not sure how Apothic picked up such a following, but it's far from the best option, even at that price point.

That being said, a blend of some sort is your best bet to please a crowd and get a good bang for your buck.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by you&me

+1

I'm not sure how Apothic picked up such a following, but it's far from the best option, even at that price point.
    Because it's a decent $10 wine

There is no such thing as one wine that everyone will enjoy the most. I love the arrogance that wine snobs (and foodies) have, that seem to think their taste buds are "right" and other peoples are "wrong".

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Apothic red or white is delicious for the price. ($10.50 a bottle)
    i've never had the red... but the white?

coppla makes a nice wine though

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 01:18 PM.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Because it's a decent $10 wine

There is no such thing as one wine that everyone will enjoy the most. I love the arrogance that wine snobs (and foodies) have, that seem to think their taste buds are "right" and other peoples are "wrong".
    No, it's not.

You're right; there's no one wine that will appeal to everyone. That's why I echo'd VWevo's recommendation to look for a blend - they tend to have the broadest appeal. It has nothing to do with being a "wine snob" and "wrong" and everything to do with have some sense of "good"... If you drink Apothic and like it, that's fine, but I'd recommend trying some other wines... It cant hurt to expand your horizons, and who knows, you might even find something you like better.

Budweiser's the most popular beer in the world... Must be the best then All those beer snobs drinking craft brews are just showing off.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Wow, I cant believe you guys even have taste buds if you're recommending Apothic..... anything.

Id literally rather drink fermented donkey piss any day over that crap. Jesus fuck. Two years ago, at this other job, they were giving it away at Christmas, as much as I love wine, I didn't even finish the bottle. My plants "enjoyed" the rest of it.

Here, I have to jet, but as a Sommelier (French word for "Wine expert" ) I'll chime in later when I have the chance and make some much much better suggestions. Still around $8-15/bottle. There are TONS of amazing wines that are quite cheap, yet could fool almost anybody in terms of taste, body etc.

Off the top of my head......
    Two red's you should try, would be "Screw it" Shiraz/Merlot and "Wine 'O' clock" Shiraz/Merlot Both have a rich flavor, and complement heavy foods like steak quite well. Both wines are $7-8/bottle at the liquor store near my parents' house, called Queensland Liquor.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-22-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I don't know much about wine but I REALLY like Carchello Jumilla. I get it from JWebbs for low 20's/bottle.

Last edited by msommers; 07-22-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Yah Apothic red is pretty bad stuff.

For 25 or less you can get lots of good wines. A few of my favorite are

Francis Coppola (ivory or black label) - Cab Sav, 25ish range
    J.Lohr - Cab Sav, around 20
    Sisters Run - Cab Sav, sub 18

1884 makes a few good ones (cab, syrah, malbec) that are around $15

Luigi Bosca - Syrah or Malbec , also around 15

Waterstone (bit closer to 30, is an amazing cab sav)

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

J, Lohr 7 oaks can be had once in a while for 18-20 on sale.

Cupcake is good - 14
    Robert mondavi Woodbridge -14ish.
    Jackson triggs cabsav cheap option 7-9$.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Speaking of red wine, I'll share what I thought was a funny story my dad told me a few years back.

He was out for dinner with some colleages and some very high profile clients.

One of clients the told the waiter that he would like to order the most expensive, exclusive red wine on the menu. The guy who ordered shortly left the table to go to the washroom. My dad, thinking it would be hilarius waved the waiter over and told him to just bring out the cheapest red wine they have as a joke.

The waiter proceeds to bring the bottle of wine (cheap bottle) to the table once the client was back and poured him a glass. The client did the whole wine connesuer thing, twilring the glass around and smelling the aroma. After that he proceeded to take a taste and rambled on how it is such a good year, and how it is the most amazing wine and blah blah blah.. The whole table burst out in tears laughing at this guy. After he discovered what my dad had done, he got up enraged and left the dinner leaving his two partners behind.

I thought it was a funny story.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Apothic is very harsh. You'll either love it or hate it.

If that's your price point though, this is a far better choice, in my opinion.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast