Quantcast
2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost

I'm a Ford fanboy, and I'm pretty excited about the 2015 F150. Extensive use of aluminum has shaved a lot of wieght off. New truck (in SuperCrew Lariat trim) is 732 lbs lighter than the outgoing 2014 in similar trim.

Possibly bigger news is the output of the new 2.7L EcoBoost engine. Anounced today that it'll be 325 hp and 375 lf-lbs, and rated to tow up to 8500 lbs. That's very impressive for that little engine, and will take care of a lot of peoples requirements very nicely.

Those of you on twitter can follow Mike Levine, he seems to be the "official" source.
    I just go to the twitter webspage for #2015F150

https://twitter.com/hashtag/2015F150?src=hash

Haven't released the full lineup specs, but I assume those are very close now. Be cool to see what the high-end tow rating is on the 3.5 EcoBoost. Now that they are supposed to be conforming to the SAE tow ratings, there was speculation that the ratings would decrease.

Who else is pumped about all this news?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

That is a massize weight savings.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Who else is pumped about all this news?
    I need to see mpg ratings before I get too pumped... but this truck is exactly what I need. I would prefer the 2.7TT versus the new Dodge ecodiesel as winter isn't kind to diesels. I could actually go for less hp and torque if better mpg was available, especially considering how light the truck is. GM trucks have been towing 8600lbs for years with 285hp and 325tq while the truck itself has weighed close to 5500lb's. 700lbs is not an insignificant chunk of weight to lose!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree that the hard numbers on fuel economy will be very interesting. I expect the full specs to be availible within a month or so.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Default Re: Re: 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L EcoBoost

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I need to see mpg ratings before I get too pumped... but this truck is exactly what I need. I would prefer the 2.7TT versus the new Dodge ecodiesel as winter isn't kind to diesels. I could actually go for less hp and torque if better mpg was available, especially considering how light the truck is. GM trucks have been towing 8600lbs for years with 285hp and 325tq while the truck itself has weighed close to 5500lb's. 700lbs is not an insignificant chunk of weight to lose!
    I'm guessing that tow rating will be for single cab, long box config with tow package. Interested to see what the ratings will be like on a crew cab, standard box, 4x4.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's 13% weight reduction. Pretty good for a truck that isn't smaller, or slower, or less (presumably) less capable.
    Although I did hear a rumour that the bedsides were lower. That hasn't been confirmed with actual dimensions yet.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Very nice numbers for the 2.7tt! hopefully it makes it way to the mustang eventually and replaces that 2.3t

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so... does the 3.5L TT get a rating bump? the 2.7 seems a little close in numbers

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: Re: 2015 Ford F150 - 732 Lbs lighter, and new "baby" 2.7L

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

I'm guessing that tow rating will be for single cab, long box config with tow package. Interested to see what the ratings will be like on a crew cab, standard box, 4x4.
    Probably still well north of 7000lbs.

If you are looking to tow a 28' travel trailer, this truck isn't for you. If you are like me, a max of 7000lb tow rating is perfect for hauling my race car, tools, and ass around.

Even then, there are lots of travel trailers under 7k lbs. Most trucks I see towing are hauling wellllll under 7k. And that is the problem with the truck market, <5k lbs is too light duty, >7500lbs is too heavy duty or sacrifices mpg for towing. The sweet spot in towing capability (IMO) is the 6k to 7500lb range.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I tow a 19.5' travel trailer that is 5000lbs fully loaded. There are Lots of trailer in the <25' range under 7000lbs.

Obviously not suitable for the crowd pulling a large trailer, but I'm expecting the max tow configuration to be still in the 11,000 lbs range, past that, you are super duty territory.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I tow a 19.5' travel trailer that is 5000lbs fully loaded. There are Lots of trailer in the &lt;25' range under 7000lbs.
    Dunno if you are debating with me, or agreeing with me, but since we are saying the same thing, I'll take it as agreeing

My point was the 2.7TT is perfect for 90% of people towing. I'm quite excited about it! Now Ford just needs to get its hands on that glorious 8 speed in the Dodges...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was agreeing with you.
    And as for the trans, they should have an eight speed for the 2016 model year, and rumours are that they are working on a 10-speed in colaboration with GM for sometime around 2020 MY.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

After using it for the past 10 years, Ford still hasn't figured out how to paint aluminium. It should be interesting to see what happens when they pump out a million + F150's a year, and the paint starts bubbling on them.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    K-car

I hope for Ford's sake this whole Ecoboost craze doesn't bite them in the ass. 2.7 L and 325 hp 375 tq that little engine is working HARD to produce those numbers, now throw it in a huge ass pickup and ask it to do truck work for 150,000 kms without major repairs....we'll see I guess. I'm betting these things are going to be the engines to avoid outside the loving arms of factory warranty. I

I can't wait to see this little motor in the Mustang, Fusion, and smaller SUV's though, I think It'll work great there.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^ I am somewhat tempted to agree with you. I remember thinking the same thing about the 3.5L TT when it first came out, but it quickly proved it's mettle and erased all doubt, so much so, that I went out and bought one as an early adopter.

The 2.7L is only a loss of 0.8L displacement wise or about 23%, but keeps 85% of the HP and 91% of the TQ, and it is moving a truck that is on average 10% lighter. I think the numbers are right in line for it.

I think the 2.7L is a damn good evolution of the 3.5L for the light duty grocery getter market, while the 3.5L sticks around for the more serious truck user as an alternative to the 5.0L.

I am excited to see it in the real world, and see how it holds up.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by ercchry
    so... does the 3.5L TT get a rating bump? the 2.7 seems a little close in numbers
    I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the 3.5 will get a bump, but if they keep it at 365hp/420lb/ft you could always go to the aftermarket to beef the 3.5 up a bit.

I like the weight savings, I might buy one of these new F150's when I get done with school in a couple years.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Can't wait to get them in at work and try them out.

I'm sick of the outgoing model.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by dino_martini

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the 3.5 will get a bump, but if they keep it at 365hp/420lb/ft .
    When did they drop those numbers?

When I bought my 2012 the advertised numbers for the EB were 385hp and 411tq...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by corsvette
    I hope for Ford's sake this whole Ecoboost craze doesn't bite them in the ass. 2.7 L and 325 hp 375 tq that little engine is working HARD to produce those numbers, now throw it in a huge ass pickup and ask it to do truck work for 150,000 kms without major repairs....we'll see I guess. I'm betting these things are going to be the engines to avoid outside the loving arms of factory warranty. I

I can't wait to see this little motor in the Mustang, Fusion, and smaller SUV's though, I think It'll work great there.
    A motor is not a human being/living object. It is a machine. The 2.7L either operates within its designed parameters or not. It does not "wear out" quicker unless you are operating it at higher rpm consistantly.

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

A motor is not a human being/living object. It is a machine. The 2.7L either operates within its designed parameters or not. It does not &quot;wear out&quot; quicker unless you are operating it at higher rpm consistantly.

Exactly. I would think a smaller displacement engine will rev higher to make power, at 2.7L that thing will need to be in the boost more often than not. That means more heat, more wear etc. This is a small displacement engine in a big vehicle.

I'm sure Ford's tested the bag of this combo and it's all good. I'm just skeptical at this point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast