Quantcast
Automating Indoor Security Camera - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automating Indoor Security Camera

Default Automating Indoor Security Camera

Long story short there is either someone coming into my apartment when I'm not there, or there are demons.

I want to automate a system that will turn on when I'm not there, and record video when it detects motion. Anyone have experience with this? Ideally I'd like to do this without leaving my computer on. Camera that records on sd card, or goes over wifi to an external HD or something. I haven't found anything on googling. Seems most of the cameras are live stream only (which I'm sure could be captured by a PC but again I want to leave it off). Probably needs nightvision too.

Logitech alert. Idiot proof to set up, decent IQ (w/ nightvision), on camera SD recording (for when the computer is off), ok software and can save to external HD or NAS.

Its wont be the best quality ($) with the most features ($) and not the cheapest but it is really easy to use and should work for you.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Blue Iris software, and a good quality IP camera, or good USB camera if close enough to the PC.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Why dont you get one of those 'smart things' door sensors and then it will alert your phone when someone enters your apt. Then you could get a wifi connected camera and look at the camera to see who it is. I have one of those cameras (cant remember the manufacturer) and it was very affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So, what's the long story?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Nice - I like the smart things idea. I work close to where I live so it would be easy to get a text and run over. No need for cameras. But then the question is do motion detectors see demons?

Tik-Tok:
    Actually not a long story haha. There's been 3 incidents. 1) a light I never use was on when I came home. Maybe I accidentally turned it on? 2) One day 4 of my shirts had a paint-like stain on them. Searched hard for a cause and still can't explain it. They weren't transported, and were hanging without rubbing anything. 3) Bunch of cigarette butts on my balcony. Maybe wind did it?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

So, let me get this straight.

Someone is coming into your apartment, turning on lights when not necessary, painting your shirts and then having a few cigarettes on your balcony. Then leaving. Without stealing a thing.

Sound about right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Might be a bit pricey, but check out Piper home security.
    Automated camera/motion/sound right to your phone.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Definitely not the best quality cameras, but hard to beat this price.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50594

You'll need to throw your own HD into it though.

Has motion detection, records on motion, night vision (albeit not great range, but it'll do fine for indoors, can be set to email alerts). Also has remote access to view live or recordings from computer or smartphone.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

We put a couple of these in a number of months back - Logitech DCS-933L (link) - not difficult to set-up and once set-up, they don't need a hardwired connection to your router as they will connect via wifi, just need an AC connection. They can record snapshots, video and audio and work at night as well in an infra-red mode. Best of all, you can set them up to FTP all activity to a server somewhere which means you don't need a computer running 24/7 to capture events - they also will upload the 5 seconds before any detected motion as they are continuously recording, they only upload when there's a detected event. You can also have them set-up to alert you via an app on your smartphone or via email and you can connect to them from your smartphone as well - not the best quality image, 640x480 but they do get the job done.

Over the time we've had them, they have easily helped us ID some customers who have been a problem and have been trouble free - they just work and best of all, if someone decides to steal them, the images of the thief will already be uploaded to my FTP server before they can remove them. You can also move these around quite easily because once they're set-up and connected via wifi, you can just unplug them from the AC power where they were, move them to a new location, plug them back into AC power and once it boots up, it will reconnect to your wifi and everything's back working - tested this out at home, set one up in the basement, had it running, unplugged it and moved it upstairs, plugged it back into AC and withing 30 seconds it was back on-line doing it's thing. Also, these can be set-up to do zone coverage meaning not every motion within the camera's view will trigger an event.
    Last edited by speedog; 07-25-2014 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Automating Indoor Security Camera

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
    Long story short there is either someone coming into my apartment when I'm not there, or there are demons.

Anyways, I have a Dlink DCS-942L, has IR nightvision and a microsd slot that stores the video upon motion detect, or you can view it wirelessly in real time with the app, also there's a notification system when it has detected something it sends an email and a screenshot of what it captured, I turned that off for the time being though, because it kept sending me pictures of whichever one of the cats strolled past the FOV

My Ride
    240sx

Default Re: Re: Automating Indoor Security Camera

Originally posted by n1zm0

Anyways, I have a Dlink DCS-942L, has IR nightvision and a microsd slot that stores the video upon motion detect, or you can view it wirelessly in real time with the app, also there's a notification system when it has detected something it sends an email and a screenshot of what it captured, I turned that off for the time being though, because it kept sending me pictures of whichever one of the cats strolled past the FOV
    That is insane, OP do you have any open ventilation or loft storage area?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: Automating Indoor Security Camera

Originally posted by GotRice?

That is insane, OP do you have any open ventilation or loft storage area?
    It's funny, I was rummaging around my sisters condo attic running some cable, when I realized that the only thing stopping me from getting into the condo on either side of her, was a sheet of drywall, lol. There was even a gap that I could see right through to the neighbors attics.

I have a Foscam 9821W for a similar purpose (contractors were fucking around in my condo, finally caught them).

It has night vision, motion detection start, email alerts, 720p (sort of), and all that. It can be wireless or wired, and you can view it from any remote computer or a phone app, as well as move it around (pan/tilt, digital zoom only). They run about $120:

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-FI9821WB...s=foscam+9821w

It has been worth it's weight in gold for me. Night vision image quality is surprisingly good as well.

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

Tik-Tok:
    Actually not a long story haha. There's been 3 incidents. 1) a light I never use was on when I came home. Maybe I accidentally turned it on? 2) One day 4 of my shirts had a paint-like stain on them. Searched hard for a cause and still can't explain it. They weren't transported, and were hanging without rubbing anything. 3) Bunch of cigarette butts on my balcony. Maybe wind did it?
    1. You turned the light on.

2. Buy deodorant

3. Someone is throwing butts from their balcony and they are landing on yours.

My Ride
    Ford

i have this one arriving tomorrow.

indoor cam

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

will see how it works on the weekend.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Kloubek
    So, let me get this straight.

Someone is coming into your apartment, turning on lights when not necessary, painting your shirts and then having a few cigarettes on your balcony. Then leaving. Without stealing a thing.

Sound about right?
    Mental illnesses can manifest themselves in strange ways. Back when I was with the RCMP, we get these calls sometimes. For eg. someone broke into a female neighbours apt, just to steal their underwear.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Anyone looked at getting this camera? Seems easy to use.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r?ref=category

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Heard an ad on the radio for these things...are they any good?

http://www.dropcam.com

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I am thinking of picking up a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W...ywords=FI8910W

Any opionions on thie Foscam vs say the Lorex that Costco sells?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast