Quantcast
Alberta PC government quietly approved a pay hike for senior government officials - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alberta PC government quietly approved a pay hike for senior government officials

Default Alberta PC government quietly approved a pay hike for senior government officials

The Alberta Progressive Conservative government quietly approved a pay hike for senior government officials last week despite promising a three-year pay freeze in 2013.
    The tenacity and indifference of this party is astounding. Especially after seeing Redford and her fellow cronies get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/28...cials-wildrose

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Another terrific quote

"After a long, hard-fought negotiation, we landed on a deal that served AUPE members and government employees well. It would be unfair to not extend that same agreement to those who aren't covered by the collective bargaining agreement," said Jessica Jacobs-Mino, press secretary to Horner.
    Sooo, enjoying all the benefits of the union, with none of the pitfalls (like union dues, or possibility of strike)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ So they want non-union people to be covered under union agreements

I don't really have a problem with wage increases for them, it makes the jobs more attractive and you usually get more competent people as a result. If they wages are too low (even though the general public thinks they want this), qualified people go into the private sector and you end up with a bunch of boobs who end up squandering a lot more tax payer money as a result.
    They're getting $300,000 a year. I doubt the private sector pays anywhere near that for the same qualifications. In addition, typical private sector workers don't get to retire after a few years, or get to expense every damn thing.

With that being said, it's not the main reason why Albertans are pissed off. It's the big picture regarding the arrogance of this party as a whole.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Seth1968

With that being said, it's not the main reason why Albertans are pissed off. It's the big picture regarding the arrogance of this party as a whole.
    Well, we better all vote Wildrose next election then. With such humble people as Rob Anderson in their party, I'm sure they'll do better!

"Senior government managers will receive a lump-sum payment of $1850 and a two per cent pay raise this year retroactive to April 1 followed by a 2.25 per cent increase in 2015 and a 2.5 per cent increase in 2016"

Meh, 2-3% a year is probably below average in the AB market. I agree that is better to keep the job more attractive so that we get competent people. There are managers/vps with much less responsibility in the private sector that make more than that.
    Last edited by sabad66; 07-29-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Well, we better all vote Wildrose next election then. With such humble people as Rob Anderson in their party, I'm sure they'll do better!
    Fair enough. I'll fix that.

With that being said, it's not the main reason why Canadians are pissed off. It's the big picture regarding the arrogance of government as a whole.

My Ride
    G6

I personally don't care if they make more, as long as they do a good job. For me, they'll either balance the budget, or I'll be voting Wild Rose.

They're getting $300,000 a year. I doubt the private sector pays anywhere near that for the same qualifications. In addition, typical private sector workers don't get to retire after a few years, or get to expense every damn thing.
    For senior management?? You're damn right the private sector does... And that's usually before any other benefits such as stock options, which probably doubles that number. You have to pay well to recruit top talent. Having said that, where I think the government squanders money is the amount of management they hire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For anyone at VP level at an oil and gas company, your total compensation (base+RRSP+stock+bonus+benefits+etc) would be well north of $300k. Be very rare for base salary to be past that even for a VP.

I haven't seen a good comparison of the value of the Govt pension, but it's considerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I personally don't care about the dollar amount. What I care about is the fact that they're going back on their word. I remember all the political hay they made about that, how they were getting on with the common man, trying to save money during hard times and all that.. they were adamant that they would *set the bar* on fiscal responsibility....

That's what pisses me off. Keep your fucking promises.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I agree. Keep your promises. This government is 90% arrogance, and 10% cluelessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by codetrap
    I personally don't care about the dollar amount. What I care about is the fact that they're going back on their word. I remember all the political hay they made about that, how they were getting on with the common man, trying to save money during hard times and all that.. they were adamant that they would *set the bar* on fiscal responsibility....

Agreed. It doesn't matter if it equates to $100,000 or $10,000,000.

They made a promise under the guise of helping us common folk, then gave themselves more money anyway. This is in a certain way, a big F you to the average Joe. Especially given that we're taking financial hits on many levels, but they seem to have the right and force to give themselves raises.

These people are supposed to be our employees, but if they truly were, they would have been fired (and many jailed), a long time ago.

My Ride
    240sx

Originally posted by codetrap

There is nothing you can do and they know that.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Another terrific quote

Sooo, enjoying all the benefits of the union, with none of the pitfalls (like union dues, or possibility of strike)
    This is how it works at where I work. The "professionals" get all of the benefits the union negotiates.

Its complete bullshit. I mean, I don't mind, but we don't always get the same benefits the professionals do.

AND on top of all of this, the union (AUPE) had to fight tooth and nail (we came THIS close to going to arbitration) to get anything at all. And they are still trying to fuck with our pension

Speaking of which, anybody hear the latest scandal going on with redford? Fake seat bookings on flights so nobody else could use the government jets?

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Speaking of which, anybody hear the latest scandal going on with redford? Fake seat bookings on flights so nobody else could use the government jets?

I just caught the tail end of that on CHQR.

It wouldn't surprise that for every one politician's scandal, theft, fraud, there are 10 we'll never know about.

http://www.newstalk770.com/2014/07/29/36267/

Auditor general is involved.

Wildrose calling for a criminal investigation.

As if her previous crimes didn't warrant such. But again, ABOVE the law. If us peasants conducted ourselves in such a manner, we would end up in jail. Redford? A slap on the wrist (for getting caught) and she still works for them

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It wouldn't surprise that for every one politician's scandal, theft, fraud, there are 10 we'll never know about.
    Sad but so true.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

Sad but so true.
    So what about provincial Direct Democracy?

Would that not be the epitome of Democracy, or am I missing something?

In before the comparisons to California and Switzerland.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I used to feel quite angry towards Redford. But now I just feel embarrassed for her. The fact that we are still seeing her political wrongdoings surface from her tenure as premier is staggering.

The penthouse was just unbelievable. Anything released after that is just....

There should be a criminal investigation though... of everything she's done. An example needs to be made. Unfortunately for her, she's on the business end of it.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast