Quantcast
Camera Suggestions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camera Suggestions

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

Default Camera Suggestions

I'm trying to pick a new camera, my D300 is getting long in the tooth.

I want a smaller camera as carrying the DSLR and my daughter is getting to be too much.

1. Nikon 1 V3 -
    Advantages: Small, light, can use my 70-200 on it with the lens adaptor.
    Disadvantaged - Small sensor, poor high ISO, rated as a worse sensor than my D300 (dxomark)

2. Sony A7 -
    Advantages - Full Frame, small
    Disadvantages - Cost, limited lens selection, expensive lenses

I'm open to other suggestions but just a camera that is smaller and lighter than the D300.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Those are two completely different class of cameras.

If you can get around the cost of the A7, that's the hands down winner. Because of the short flange distance, you can get adapters for a LOT of different lens mounts and manual focus isn't really an issue because of the focus peaking.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A7 would easily be my choice. A7S if you could swing it.
    Ultracrepidarian

As said above, two very different cameras.

Is shooting action a big concern, like your daughter running around, kids sports, etc.? Then no contest for the V3. Nothing can touch it in the small/mirrorless segment for AF, frame rate, buffer, etc. You can also use your Nikon lenses on it with the FT-1, which makes for some pretty awesome (and fast) combos, like with the 70-200 you mention (which becomes a 189-540/2.8 ) which are great for zoos, sports, etc. The trade off is of course is overall IQ, since it is using a 1" sensor still. ISO, DR, DOF, etc. is nothing like on the A7. It's no P&S, but it won't be anywhere close to the A7 in that department.

A7 wins hands down in the IQ department, but you're also looking at larger, heavier, and more expensive lenses to boot. It has phase detect AF, but it's nothing like what's in the V3. Your pockets will also need to be deeper. You can use lots of different lenses on it if you want to get into adapters if you're into that.

Depends entirely on your priorities IMO, since those are such different cameras. I'd most likely get the A7 unless action shooting, reach, etc. were top priorities.

My Ride
    rally pig

budget and what are you looking to shoot with the smaller camera?
    how important is it for you to be able to use your Nikon lens on the smaller camera.

the mirrorless camera out there now are more than capable on replacing the DSLR for most unless your a sport and/or wild life shooter.

My Ride

My daughter is 2 so most of the photos will be of her, although I do plan to go on a safari in Africa sometime in the next year. So I was contemplating the V3 for the reach with my current glass. The issue is the small sensor in the V3, and the ability to shoot in less than ideal light.

That being said, I don't see needing the reach most of the time.

The budget is fairly flexible, as I can sell my old gear to supplement the money I will put towards a new camera. So right now my budget is around 2000-2500$.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I'd personally look at some Fuji X camera's as a mid point between those 2 options. A TX-1 with the kit zoom and a prime or two is a sweet setup and you have way more AF lens selection than the Sony FE mount offers right now.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Re: Safaris in Africa

Admittedly, the best times for photos are just after sunrise and before sunset because the light is best and a lot of animals are most active, and likely when you'll be out on safari the most as the guides are well aware of this. Most of the time I was probably in the 2000-6400 ISO range while trying to maintain a decent shutter speed at those times. Definitely something to consider. However you will be out there mid day as well when lots of the grazers are doing their thing and there's still plenty of activity going on, and lots of animals you can get fairly close to.

Moreover when discussing reach, I would guess if I looked at my metadata from my Africa catalog that >75% of the shots are at my maximum focal length of 400mm on a full frame. I would almost say to try and sell the D300 and get a D7000 (D7100 potentially) just for that trip alone. Maybe renting is an option if it makes financial sense.

Just to throw an idea out there, what about something like a D7000 + Sony RX100 (I/II/III)?
    Ultracrepidarian

I'd rent a D7100 or D810 for your Safari, for that you will want as much reach, crop-ability, and ISO performance as you can get. V3 would make a nice backup or "virtual" TC on a Safari, but I wouldn't bring it as my only camera if I was serious about it. You can also rent with insurance, so if a Lion eats your camera or something, it's not on you.

I find both the V3 and A7 to make better secondary or backup cameras than main ones, since neither of them are great all-rounders.

If I were going to Africa I'd have a D810 on a 70-200, a D7100 or second D810 on a 200-400 (or 500/4), and a good P&S or small mirrorless cam for unexpected close ups. All rented w/ insurance, since I couldn't imagine subjecting my own equipment to such dust .

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have a look on the FM A7 image thread. It's a sweet camera and more than just a back up. That's a pretty outrageous statement, Mark LOL

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by blitz
    I'd personally look at some Fuji X camera's as a mid point between those 2 options. A TX-1 with the kit zoom and a prime or two is a sweet setup and you have way more AF lens selection than the Sony FE mount offers right now.
    yeah that's what i was thinking too but also curious to hear what focal length works best for him.
    X-T1 with 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 would be awesome, Fuji is also releasing a 90mm 2 next year and a super-tele is on their road-map.
    he could also keep the D300 and Nikon lenses and use a mirrorless or fixed lens camera for daily use/capturing the daughter. X100s, Ricoh GR, m43, etc

then wait for msommers and mitsu when they decide to upgrade to the D810 and snag their D800 or D600

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Ha ha, I'm sure with the new Nikons coming out someone will upgrade soon. I've thought about getting a full frame Nikon but I run into the problem of it being heavy again. I don't use my D300 enough because of the weight so looking for something lighter. I looked at the XT-1 but I didn't really like it.

I tend to use my my 10-20 on my D300 and I like fast primes (35 and 50). Just want something lighter and more a camera I can use.

The idea of renting a camera for the trip is a great idea, where is a good place to rent from?

Thanks for the suggestions.

My Ride
    rally pig

out of curiosity but what didn't you like with the X-T1?
    If it's ergonomics and EVF, it may rule out most, if not all mirrorless cameras out there.
    the X-T1 body is very similar to the A7.

otherwise the X-T1 w/ 10-24, 35 and 56 sounds like a perfect candidate for you.

maybe look into the Nikon Df

the A7 is a great camera if you have lots of different lenses, you can put Nikon lenses on it but AF will be slow.
    but manual-focus is very easy on the A7 because of focus-peaking and magnification.
    shot a wedding couple of days ago with the A7 and I was fine for the most part, you just have to anticipate the moment.

about rental places, The Camera Store, Vistek locally.
    lensrentalscanada.com is great if you want to rent telephoto lens for your Africa trip but looks like they are having issues right now.
    Last edited by taemo; 07-30-2014 at 01:07 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Don't go DSLR full frame if you feel the D300 is too big. The bodies might be the same but the lenses just get bigger.

A Sony A6000 might be better than an A7 for you. More AF glass selection, smaller lenses, and more selection.

My Ride

From the sounds of it, no one would go the Nikon V3 route, so I think I'll start selling my gear. Then make a decision from there, I'd still like a interchangeable lens camera but I might have to try more out and see what I like. Keep the suggestions coming and I will have a play with them at the store.

Good call on the Df, I didn't even think about that one. Definitely a more compact solution with one of the best FF sensors out there right now (especially in low light). It has quite the fan club on the forums, and sold much better than a lot of people expected. It's a decent amount smaller than a lot of other DSLRS, but you still get the OVF and proper AF. Certainly not as thin as something like an A7, but you could also keep all your FX lenses.

I've used Canada Lens Rentals multiple times and they have been awesome. I was not aware they are having issues, but they had cheap insurance which covered you for damage/negligence, and they allowed their stuff out of country. Hopefully they aren't in financial trouble. At least when I looked, TCS and Vistek rentals were a crazy ripoff.

Something like a D600 would be a tad lighter than your D300 and a bit smaller, but not a whole lot different than your D300 size-wise, especially if you're looking to downsize.

FF also means heavier lenses overall, something to keep in mind if weight is a major concern. You said you liked primes though, which helps a lot with weight in the shorter focal lengths.

Sounds to me like you need to head down to TCS and handle some cameras . I also think you need to decide how capable you need the AF to be, and if you are OK with an EVF. I would be much easier to narrow things down with that info I would think.

My Ride

I had a good play with the cameras down at TCS today. Spent a while and talked to a couple of the guys behind the desk. Everyone seemed to think that the A7 is the way to go these days.

They suggested staying away from the A7s if I wasn't going to shoot 4k video. I think I tend to agree with them, the A7 will be a good step up from my D300.

BTW, anyone want to buy my gear?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried out a lot of cameras today and good some great help at TCS. One of the reasons I like getting my gear from there.

My Ride
    rally pig

congrats!
    what lenses are you planning on using with the A7?

make sure to buy a 2nd battery and a wall charger.
    half-leather case or L bracket to improve your grip on the camera.

the 35mm 2.8 and the 55 1.8 lens are great performers
    the 24-70 is average and the 28-70 is mediocre if you wish to use a zoom lens but are fairly bulky and beats the purpose of having a small camera.

My Ride

I think I'll start with the 55 1.8, it appears to be a fantastic lens. Not sure what I'll get after that but is should give me a good start. Play with FF to see which focal lengths I feel like I'm missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast