Quantcast
Question on ML63 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on ML63

My Ride
    Sloww

Default Question on ML63

im looking to buy a 2007-2009 ML63 AMG and im just curious if theres any known issue for them?

Its going to be my daily/winter driver and how much are the services for these amg cars?

Thanks

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I don't know much about them personally but I have a friend who has one and hates it because it's constantly in the shop. One of my coworkers bought one some time ago and sold it after a year of ownership because it spent more time in the shop then on the road (literally).

I'd buy an X5m
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Depending on where you service it, look for $200+ oil changes, and there is usually major services scheduled every 25,000-40,000kms on these specialty motors. One of the AMG guys on here might have a more accurate idea.

Based on that age it's going to be out of warranty, and probably have between 60-100 thousands kms which means brakes, suspension (air???), spark plugs are all in their window for replacement - make sure these are all checked.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Since it's off warranty, you might as well just do the services yourself to save money.

To cover some of the points here, the 1st gen ML's were terrible. Very problematic vehicles. The 2nd gen's (where 07-09's fall) are quite a bit better, but still rank poorly within the MB range for reliability. The current 3rd gen's are leaps and bounds better for reliability.

I don't believe the 2nd gen's had Airmatic suspension, so that big $$$$ isn't an issue. I'd say the X5's were on par with the 2nd gen ML's for reliability. They have their fair share of issues too. At least with the ML's, it's rarely drivetrain related.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

You know there's a very nice Cayenne S for sale on here that might fit the bill.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by rage2
    Since it's off warranty, you might as well just do the services yourself to save money.

To cover some of the points here, the 1st gen ML's were terrible. Very problematic vehicles. The 2nd gen's (where 07-09's fall) are quite a bit better, but still rank poorly within the MB range for reliability. The current 3rd gen's are leaps and bounds better for reliability.

I don't believe the 2nd gen's had Airmatic suspension, so that big $$$$ isn't an issue. I'd say the X5's were on par with the 2nd gen ML's for reliability. They have their fair share of issues too. At least with the ML's, it's rarely drivetrain related.

Most of the time that I see the ML's come through the shop, its always mainly for suspension or Diesel Adblu Heater/Pump stuff but yours is a gas so that doesn't apply to you. The rear airbags blow on these regularily that we always keep 10+ on hand and sell out in a few days.

For the Air Bags, MSRP $1443/each. Shocks MSRP $886/each.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Sloww

damn.. I guess shouldn't buy the generation 1 or 2 ML's as theyre money pit :S

any more suggestions?

35-40k budget

Porsche is out of the question to be honest, not really a fan

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Blue
    damn.. I guess shouldn't buy the generation 1 or 2 ML's as theyre money pit :S

any more suggestions?

35-40k budget

Porsche is out of the question to be honest, not really a fan
    Touaregs are super nice, not sure if you can get the Gen2's in that range but if you can i would do that!

Lexus RX350?

Acura MDX?

Infiniti FX50S?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

The problem with the ML is moreso the consumer base that drives them, I consider them as reliable as the next benz of that era. No different than X5's they have a bad reputation, but they are exposed to worse conditions and much different drivers than a typical 5 series will see.

That said I adore the ML63, its one of my favorite cars I've driven, I love SUV's with grunt and really enjoyed the fit and finish of that model when it was new. I'd still consider looking at FX50's though, more reliable and just as fun to drive.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

How about a Grand Cherokee SRT8(WK1)? I bought mine at the end of last summer, haven't run into anything out of the ordinary except for having to replace a tire pressure sensor this summer and Kal Tire did it for about $50, makes a solid winter beater and daily driver with my only gripes being the crappy cupholder for the rear seats, trans fluid can basically only be done by the dealer, and having to update the navigation disk every couple years if you want up to date navigation maps(I'm still rocking an 07 disc but I never use it anyway). If your out and about test driving vehicles give it a shot, you might like it.

Not sure what a used X5M goes for, but they are sick.

A friend of mine has a Q5 2.0T that has exhaust, chip an an intake. It's actually pretty quick and gorgeous inside.

My Ride
    Sloww

I guess i bought a ML63 amg today and picking it up on monday as a daily driver =/

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    How about a Grand Cherokee SRT8(WK1)? I bought mine at the end of last summer, haven't run into anything out of the ordinary except for having to replace a tire pressure sensor this summer and Kal Tire did it for about $50, makes a solid winter beater and daily driver with my only gripes being the crappy cupholder for the rear seats, trans fluid can basically only be done by the dealer, and having to update the navigation disk every couple years if you want up to date navigation maps(I'm still rocking an 07 disc but I never use it anyway). If your out and about test driving vehicles give it a shot, you might like it.
    We need to get a navigation update disk buy going, then burn it... The 07 disc shows me driving in open fields most of the time in Calgary. My 07 srt8 has been rock solid as well, I had the factory battery go bad last winter, thats it.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Blue
    I guess i bought a ML63 amg today and picking it up on monday as a daily driver =/
    What year?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Mibz
    You know there's a very nice Cayenne S for sale on here that might fit the bill.
    Marked as SOLD. Sat there for long enough.

My Ride
    Lariat

Q7??
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This thread is over a year old for those wondering why the Cayenne was sold haha.

My Ride
    Sloww

Got an 09 with 64k clicks on it for a good deal
    The 09 do have air matic I just checked
    Last edited by Blue; 07-12-2015 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I hope you got a warranty.

Look up M156 headbolts. AMG should recall those engines.

Also, don't be downshifting with the paddles. Puts a lot of pressure on the valve bodies and tq converter. The ML doesnt have rev matched downshifts, does it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast