Quantcast
Mount Polley mine tailings pond breach: Local state of emergency declared - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Polley mine tailings pond breach: Local state of emergency declared

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Mount Polley mine tailings pond breach: Local state of emergency declared

A local state of emergency has been declared in an area where a B.C. tailings pond wall collapsed, sending millions of cubic metres of mine waste water and metals-laden sand into local waterways.

The breach sent 10 million cubic metres of water and 4.5 million cubic metres of metals-laden sand out into local waterways, scouring away the banks of Hazeltine Creek and sending debris flowing into Quesnel Lake and Polley Lake, which rose 1.5 metres.

In a post on its emergency operations department's Facebook page, the CRD said the local state of emergency status would help it "access additional capacity that may be necessary to further protect the private property and government infrastructure in the town of Likely."

'We regularly perform toxicity tests and we know this water is not toxic to rainbow trout.'
    —Bryan Kynoch, president of Mount Polley mine owner Imperial Metals
    Brian Kynoch, president of the mine's owner, Imperial Metals, told CBC News on Wednesday morning that water was still flowing from the pond, despite the fact that it's virtually empty.

Work crews were out all night trying to close the dam and secure the debris flow areas, he said.

Kynoch said he expected Imperial Metals would brief provincial officials at 1 p.m. PT Wednesday, and may have more information to release then.

Questions over water quality

The exact composition of the pond water released into the environment is not known, but water samples collected by staff from B.C.'s Environment Ministry have been sent for analysis.

Water supply in Likely, B.C.
    Residents in the area of Likely, B.C., are relying on emergency water supplies after the tailings pond failure at the Mount Polley mine. (Kirk Williams/CBC)

In the meantime, a drinking water and water-use ban remains in place on all consumption or recreational use of the Quesnel and Cariboo river systems from the spill site to the Fraser River, several hundred kilometres away.

At a community meeting in Likely, B.C., on Tuesday, Kynoch said the water from the copper and gold mine's tailings pond was "very close to drinking water quality," though the silt, the "ground-up rock" left over after extracting the metals, poses a problem.

A summary of the material dumped into the tailings pond last year was filed with Environment Canada. It said there was 326 tonnes of nickel, over 400,000 kilograms of arsenic, 177,000 kilograms of lead and 18,400 tonnes of copper and its compounds placed in the pond last year.

"Specifically, mercury has never been detected in our water and arsenic levels are about one-fifth of drinking water quality," Kynoch told roughly 200 people at the meeting. "We regularly perform toxicity tests and we know this water is not toxic to rainbow trout."

Kynoch also apologized to the local residents and business operators.

"I apologize for what happened," Kynoch said at the emotionally charged meeting. "If you had asked me two weeks ago if that could happen, I would have said it couldn't happen, so I know that for our company it's going to take a long time to earn the community's trust back."

A logging company crew was able to tow a log jam away from the Quesnel River, averting potential flooding or damage to a bridge in Likely, but residents were frustrated with the lack of information in the hours and days after the breach.

Residents react, criticize communications

Diane Gibson, owner of the post office and restaurant on the Likely riverfront, said she heard nothing until she went to nearby Williams Lake and overheard the news in a store.

Alfred Hillary, a business owner who lives just below the mine, said their phones were out and he didn't receive a phone call. He heard about the breach over his emergency responder radio.

Hillary blamed the mine for failing to address earlier problems, but in the small community devastated by the downturn in the local forest industry, many residents were prepared to stand by the company.

"This town relies upon Mount Polley, so we're hurting," Gibson said. "I, personally, don't blame Mount Polley. There's lots of people who will point fingers. It is unnecessary to point fingers until we're in full view of the facts.

"Needless to say, it's going to hurt us regardless of whose fault it is."
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ared-1.2728832

Brutal
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Good buying oportunity?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hard-rock mining has a brutal record of environmental damage. Makes oilsands companies look like saints.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

inb4 no one gives a fuck because it wasn't an oil sands operator.

wait... too late.

My Ride
    Grimace

Oh when you read the comments they all compare it to northern gateway
    Not similar at all.

Pretty huge spill though. Are oil sands tailing ponds earthen berms like that also?
    That breach reminds me of this dam breach though:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sa..._Power_Station

Or reminds me of the Hungarian one a few years back.

Could the Hungarian tailings dam tragedy happen in Alberta?
    http://www.pembina.org/blog/417

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Nobody jumped on the $9 shares?

It will be intersting to see where Imperial Metals goes with this.

I don't think they have enough cash to deal with the fiasco, perhaps they'll go bankrupt. I think the Mount Polley mine was their largest asset, they aren't going to be putting out very good numbers going forward.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 08-06-2014 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Originally posted by schocker
    Are oil sands tailing ponds earthen berms like that also?
    Yes. Generally speaking, all external tailings facilities are earthen dams. It is not cost-effective to build them out of anything else. In the oil sands, they are constructed using a starter dyke made of waste material (oil sand that is not ore so it doesn't go to the plant) for the first 10-15m and then, using up-stream construction (stepping in with each additional lift) they are raised using tailings sand as the tailings height rises (creating beaches towards the centre of the pond).

The operators I have experience with generally keep the fluid levels at least 3m below the crest of the dyke. One potential cause of failure (not saying this is Mt Polley's case) is that the high fluid levels exceeded the 3m freeboard and the phreatic surface (water level within the dyke) cannot be controlled. Instead of flowing down through the dyke to the foundation where it is controlled properly, it can come out the "dry" face of the dyke (downstream side) and introduce a failure plane. The material above the failure plane slides or sloughs down and you've got yourself a tailings dam failure.

A tailings dam failure at one of the oil sands mines would make this one look like child's play.
    Last edited by zaider; 08-06-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Seems that they primarily do copper/gold.

Not really all that interested in either. Taseko is also copper.

That nickel is in the wastewater runoff means that it is not economically feasable. You can tell a lot about what is underpriced by what is thrown away (Miners in the US used to throw away platinum)

Will it affect Victoria/Vancouvers water supply? Probably a little bit, but probably a lot less than environmentalists would have you believe. Drinkable fresh water is suprisingly difficult to maintain, even a little bit of salt contamination makes it unsuitable.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-07-2014 at 06:45 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by ZenOps

Will it affect Victoria/Vancouvers water supply? Probably a little bit, but probably a lot less than environmentalists would have you believe. Drinkable fresh water is suprisingly difficult to maintain, even a little bit of salt contamination makes it unsuitable.
    Are you retarded?

Here is a Map of BC: http://homer.ca/maps/bc.htm

Of note is the fact that Victoria is on an island, in the ocean.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Seems that they primarily do copper/gold.

Not really all that interested in either. Taseko is also copper.

That nickel is in the wastewater runoff means that it is not economically feasable. You can tell a lot about what is underpriced by what is thrown away (Miners in the US used to throw away platinum)

Lets not forget Vancouver Island doesn't have a waste treatment facility and dumps raw sewage into the pacific. For decades this has happened but all those damn hippies are waiting for front page articles so they can boost there egos by holding signs in protest.

Things like this are bound to happen but all this does it put the spot light where is shouldn't be. A couple months ago the water was so dirty at a few beaches with higher the normal levels of ecoli people were advised not to swim. While I'm one for a good eco system, things tend to happen it be natural or man made.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Milk2%

Lets not forget Vancouver Island doesn't have a waste treatment facility and dumps raw sewage into the pacific. For decades this has happened but all those damn hippies are waiting for front page articles so they can boost there egos by holding signs in protest.

Things like this are bound to happen but all this does it put the spot light where is shouldn't be. A couple months ago the water was so dirty at a few beaches with higher the normal levels of ecoli people were advised not to swim. While I'm one for a good eco system, things tend to happen it be natural or man made.
    There is plenty of waste treatment on Vancouver Island. Just not Victoria.

www.google.com

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Originally posted by GTS4tw

There is plenty of waste treatment on Vancouver Island. Just not Victoria.

www.google.com
    O sorry mister google. Let me rephrase VICTORIA considering 70% of the population from Vancouver Island resides there.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

O sorry mister google. Let me rephrase VICTORIA considering 70% of the population from Vancouver Island resides there.
    Actually Nanaimo is big and there are many many other towns on the island. Around 50% of the population live in Victoria.

They are working on a plan to stop dumping into the ocean and is it really that bad anyway? Its more the other crap that goes down the toilets that cause the problems. People have been dumping their waste in nature since the beginning of time.

https://www.crd.bc.ca/seaterra-progr...reatment-plant
    Last edited by GTS4tw; 08-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Actually Nanaimo is big and there are many many other towns on the island. Around 50% of the population live in Victoria.

Super reliable so far though! Keep posting them factz.

They are working on a plan to stop dumping into the ocean and is it really that bad anyway? Its more the other crap that goes down the toilets that cause the problems. People have been dumping their waste in nature since the beginning of time.

https://www.crd.bc.ca/seaterra-progr...reatment-plant
    Here to troll a little more?
    I don't spend my time looking up exact facts for your viewing pleasure. I go from years of living there...

I don't know how you think Nanamio is big, lol have you been there or is google maps your vacation destination?

They have been working on that plan for years......

The human waste isn't what anybody with a half a brain would be concerned about.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Here to troll a little more?
    I don't spend my time looking up exact facts for your viewing pleasure. I go from years of living there...

I don't know how you think Nanamio is big, lol have you been there or is google maps your vacation destination?

They have been working on that plan for years......

The human waste isn't what anybody with a half a brain would be concerned about.
    I visit the island 1 or 2 times per year. Been going to Nanaimo for 30 years. It seems big when your from a town of under 10,000.

Doesnt change the fact that over half the island doesnt live in Victoria.

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Next time before i throw a random figure I'll make sure to use google.

Again comparative to the other towns on the island, metro Victoria makes them look like nothing.

Are you retarded?

Here is a Map of BC: http://homer.ca/maps/bc.htm

Of note is the fact that Victoria is on an island, in the ocean.
    Thing is, all river water eventually makes its way to the ocean. The only thing is distance, and how much a polluted area can be dissipated or diluted by the time it gets there. It will eventually hit the coast. The mountains make the runoff quite quick on that side of the rocky mountains (the Bow river eventually empties into hudsons bay for example.)

I'm sure that area does a gigantic upsidedown U on the map, and will eventually make it to Vancouvers water treatment. The fish in Victoria will probably be affected as well.

Heavy metal runoff is surprisingly safe after only a relatively short distance. The metal that is suspended in sludge or water eventually runs off, the rest tends to sink like gold in a pan when hitting a lake along the way.

Its mainly the arsenic that they are worried about, but that can dilute fairly quickly.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-07-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-04-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast