Quantcast
SW neighbourhoods - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SW neighbourhoods

My Ride
    My Bike

Default SW neighbourhoods

I have a question that maybe you guys can help with. The wife and I are looking for a new house. We both grew up and live in the Northwest so we don't know anything about neighbourhoods south of the river. We've started to look in the SW, specifically areas that are within a 15 minute walk from the West LRT. Are there neighbourhoods around there we should avoid? Are there some that are overpriced?

TL/DR: Moving, need opinion on neighbourhoods surrounding the West LRT.

Thanks

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I think all of them will be pretty decent. We live in Strathcona which is a 20 to 25 min walk to the LRT station but any of the closer ones like Signature Park, Scirocco etc would be great

My Ride
    Ram

inner city ftw. richmond park and killarney

Originally posted by Sorath

I live in this area and it is fantastic for downtown access.

What's the budget? - because that could disqualify a lot of neighbourhoods in West Calgary.. also, what type of house?

My Ride
    My Bike

Under 750, single family.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

imo anything west of macleod and W/SW of Sarcee/Glenmore are all great areas, specifically living off 14th st, I find the access to just about everything is really convenient, I can make it to deerfoot in about 7-10 mins, downtown 15 mins, chinook center 10 mins, south center 5 mins, closest train station (southland) is 5 min at most, the NW is just up crowchild etc, grocery/hardware stores about 5 mins away on macleod.

My Ride
    NC1

How about Rosscarrock & Spruce Cliff?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I rent in Spruce Cliff but its a quiet and really nice area and close and easy to get to anything.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Sorath

Left Aspen for inner city life like 5 years ago and never looked back.

Too many cunty housewives and wannabe ballers, I've never seen a worse sense of neighbourhood. Everyone is just trying to out do everyone and while the location is good the houses are way over priced for what you get.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^Funny I've heard that from a friend who lives out there as well. Oh well her house has appreciated like crazy and quick access to the mountains so it's not all bad.

Personally I really like the Killarney area but right on 17th ave are lots of old rental places. Spruce Cliff and Wildwood are great areas - Wildwood will definitely be top of my list whenever I move out of my condo into a single detached.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by ddduke

Left Aspen for inner city life like 5 years ago and never looked back.

Too many cunty housewives and wannabe ballers, I've never seen a worse sense of neighbourhood. Everyone is just trying to out do everyone and while the location is good the houses are way over priced for what you get.
    I've never experienced anything like this? Maybe you are spending too much time analyzing people and less of getting what you need to get done.

I'd say Aspen is great if you want something that will hold it's value and has great access to pretty good ammendities. You got Aspen Glen Landing which has a ton of stuff plus there is a bunch of stuff off 85th as well. West LRT is night and day compared to other lines. Less busy and a much shorter commute from my experience.

Of course the houses are over priced for what you get but you are paying for location. Save 100 grand and live out in Kincora if you want.

Edit: I'll even extend that to Wentworth if you are looking for places to get into new developments.

My Ride
    Silverado

We don't appreciate your kind in the SW.

Damn north-westerner.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

We're in Richmond Park/Knob Hill and like it. Would look really closely at Wildwood as already mentioned. It isn't zoned R2 which means you won't have to deal with infill construction which is really bugging us right now.

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    We're in Richmond Park/Knob Hill and like it. Would look really closely at Wildwood as already mentioned. It isn't zoned R2 which means you won't have to deal with infill construction which is really bugging us right now.
    There are so many new infills and projects going up and construction is driving me mental.
    Last edited by bleu; 08-11-2014 at 10:04 AM.

My Ride
    G6

Just about everywhere on the SW line is pretty good... I grew up in the NW as well, but after two places in the SW, I wouldn't move back.

My Ride
    My Bike

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    It isn't zoned R2 which means you won't have to deal with infill construction which is really bugging us right now.
    I'm currently in an R2 lot, which is a bit of a mixed deal. On the one hand you can sell your property to a developer without worrying about the condition. But on the other hand you have little or no incentive to improve your property because it won't add any resale value. And the construction sucks.

I'm looking to move into an R1 lot and staying put.

On a related note, is it just me or are 2 out of 3 infills built like garbage?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by icky2unk

I've never experienced anything like this? Maybe you are spending too much time analyzing people and less of getting what you need to get done.

I'd say Aspen is great if you want something that will hold it's value and has great access to pretty good ammendities. You got Aspen Glen Landing which has a ton of stuff plus there is a bunch of stuff off 85th as well. West LRT is night and day compared to other lines. Less busy and a much shorter commute from my experience.

Of course the houses are over priced for what you get but you are paying for location. Save 100 grand and live out in Kincora if you want.

Edit: I'll even extend that to Wentworth if you are looking for places to get into new developments.
    I don't spend too much time over analyzing anyone, it's what I noticed while living there, both through my neighbours and the customers I dealt with. I was selling projects in the area and the #1 thing I noticed is that almost every person I dealt with was living beyond their means. No one could afford to build what they wanted and would almost beg to get lower prices (not negotiate, but beg), always hearing the same story "we just bought this house, can we get a deal", then I'd go to places like Evanston or Kincora and people would have no problem paying for the project. Go in to any store there, the housewives are just miserable cunts, just generally rude with over inflated egos. Most of my neighbours were rude, I'd go for walks with my girl and smile or say hi to everyone I passed, most people just put their heads down and ignore you. The Safeway in Aspen is also overpriced, do a comparison to the one in Westhills and it will blow your mind.

Look are 89coupe, he's a perfect example of the type of person that lives in Aspen: Buys a cookie cutter house in, tells everyone he lives in Aspen then flaunts his 'baller status' (bragging about how much his meals cost, posting pics of his decor, christmas tree, etc.)

I'm not saying everyone that lives there is like this, there's just an over abundance of wannabe baller douchebags living there. Just like how Kensington has an over abundance of pretentious hipsters
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

If you're interested in an older/ established area have a look at Woodlands, grew up in Woodlands estates a stones throw away from fish creek. Couldn't have asked for a better neighbourhood to grow up in. I'd move back if I could afford it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast