Quantcast
Advice - Car feels like it lost power - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice - Car feels like it lost power

Unhappy Advice - Car feels like it lost power

For the last two mornings when I drive my 370z it feels like a 3 cylinder car. Driving around the car lacks power and struggles to build up speed. It basically feels like I am driving around in 6th gear.

After I restart it a couple of times it goes back to normal but its starting to worry me..
    Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Its hard to deal with dealerships if I cant replicate the problem.

Thanks

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Perhaps it's carbon build up? Maybe have to walnut blast?

Sounds like limp mode, does a CEL come on?

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Yeah, sounds like carbon deposit build up, a common issue with direct injection engines of pretty much every make.
    I think you're noticing the problem more in the mornings because the problem is worse during 'cold-starts' and the impact of the deposits is less noticeable once the engine reaches operating temperature.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-04-2019 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Definitely look for a CEL. Kind of sounds like there's a sensor on its way out that's causing poor running conditions intermittently.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Apparently the VQ engine does tend to leak at the plug tubes...maybe see if your coil packs are soaked at the boots?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Definitely look for a CEL. Kind of sounds like there's a sensor on its way out that's causing poor running conditions intermittently.
    +1 on the cel. OP - is it not throwing any codes at all? Scan it anyway... it might have a pending code and it's just waiting for data. That might lead you in the right direction.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Perhaps it's carbon build up? Maybe have to walnut blast?

Sounds like limp mode, does a CEL come on?
    No lights come on at all...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Any white smoke? does it feel like it is missing and running rough?

Check to see if one of your spark plug wires has come loose either from the plug or the distributor. Also check to see if all of your injector wires are connected securely.

Next thing to check is your ignition timing, if it is delayed too much it will exhibit this kind of behavior... the engine will actually run smooth if this is the issue, but it will run hotter than normal and have hugely reduced power.

If everything looks good, pull your plugs and see if one of them looks fouled up or abnormal from the others. Then try running the engine with one of the plug wires detached, one at a time for each plug. If there is no noticeable difference in the engine for one of them, you might have an injector that has shit the bed.

Last things to check are if you've lost compression in one of your cylinders
    NO smoke at at all, and engine still runs smooth. Dont really notice until I try to speed up

I am not very mechanic savy. Spark plugs i can probably figure out. Is it easy to check compression and injection timing?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-04-2019 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Did you recently fuel up, right before this started happening? Did you accidentally put regular octane in? It's possibly some bad gas, and your computer is compensating for knock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

or could be carbon. can't hurt to run a carbon cleaner into the intake, unless it is really high milage.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Ignition timing... although I think that might be fully electronic on the 370z. Loss of compression would also make it run rough and smoke a bit, so it likely isn't that either.

If it is running smooth with no smoke I am thinking it might be what sr20s14zenki was saying about the coil packs... if it is affecting your spark then you would loose power.

Could also be your fuel pump or a clogged up fuel filter. Anytime I've had an issue with fuel pumps or filters they never just kill the car, they usually either cause the engine to cut out periodically, or they get weak and it feels like a huge loss of power when trying to accelerate.
    hmmm starting to sound complicated... i guess i have to pay a visit to the dealership..

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Did you recently fuel up, right before this started happening? Did you accidentally put regular octane in? It's possibly some bad gas, and your computer is compensating for knock.
    Nope, on half a tank now. I am pretty good with only putting in premium..

Originally posted by spikerS
    or could be carbon. can't hurt to run a carbon cleaner into the intake, unless it is really high milage.
    the car is couple years old with about 30,000~Km on it.
    I dont think its that high of milage..

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

then yeah, goto CT and grab a bottle of injector cleaner or whatever, and spray it into the intake when the car is running normally to make sure nothing is getting clogged or stopping valves from seating properly.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Oh wow. 30,000km and having this issue?

Probably not carbon, could be, but unlikely.

Take it to the dealer and demand an answer, probably not going to get anywhere here.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

A lot of talk of carbon, but that wouldn't explain why it is fine after he turns it off. To me, that sounds like some sort of sensor issue; something that resets after turning the car off. Putting in regular wouldn't retard the timing so much it cuts the power in half either. (But then, the OP already cleared up that it isn't a fuel issue)

But again, OP - have the car scanned even if there is no CEL yet. If it has a "pending" code, then that might show you where an issue lies.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Car is 100% pulling timing. So now to figure out why.

I'll be honest, if you have a tuned, turbo, performance car, it can be sensitive to Octane. I recall getting "Premium" gas once and it was for sure old. Not happy but nothing you can do but drive it reasonably and wait till you can refill.

Pending this, I'd link it to dirty plugs or not getting proper spark. Then look to getting the MAP sensor cleaned.

Replacing sparkplugs or inspecting them to see what's going on is worth it too. This shows you how to get at them.
    http://www.the370z.com/diy-section-d...ure-heavy.html

No need to run carb cleaner. I'm sure you don't granny drive this car. And carbon build ups at that low kms is not going to impact it.

Coil packs should last longer than what you have. Exhaust the other options before going this route as new plugs are a lot cheaper than new coil packs.

You could find the resistance rating on the coil packs, while in there doing the spark plugs, test the coil packs to ensure they meet OEM specs.

VQ motors can have oil leaking into plug boots. Easy enough to change the valve cover gaskets.

I really don't see this is an expensive issue like a blown motor or whatever you're dreaming it is. But then again this is just my eMechanic diagnostic.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Definitely an electrical issue of some kind.

a) low mileage
    b) sudden onset
    c) can temporarily rectify issue with an electrical system restart (car on/off)

OP have you tried "the google" ?

Always, always consult a car-specific forum first.

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivet...ower-loss.html

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

if its that new take it back. surely you have warranty?

My Ride
    ST184

Change your plugs. Just grab some copper plugs and gap them properly and see if that helps at all. Cheap, easy to do and it probably needs to be done anyways.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Seafoam it!

Originally posted by 06civic
    Driving around the car lacks power and struggles to build up speed. It basically feels like I am driving around in 6th gear.
    But really @ 30k kms that's odd, if you give the throttle a few blips is it 'healthy'?

Besides all other things mentioned, depending on your driving style and how much you've beat on it, if it's a manual maybe the clutch is slipping already? again idk your driving style. I remember when my S13 had its clutch going, the engine would be very spirited and happy, but I would be going nowhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast