Quantcast
Damn Mushrooms growing on front lawn - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Damn Mushrooms growing on front lawn

My Ride
    03' B6

Default Damn Mushrooms growing on front lawn

Hi all,

I need some advice on how to get rid of some damn mushrooms that have been growing on my lawn for the past couple months.
    I moved into a new house last August where the builder laid new sod for the front and back. It wasn't until mid May that we noticed little mushrooms growing on the front and in the backyard. I did some googling and pretty much found that it's almost impossible to get rid of the fungus and that it's actually healthy for your lawn cause it helps break down the decaying matter in the soil. The thing is, they look hideous and disgusting and I just want them gone.

Yesterday I was on my lawn slowly prying them out of the ground and filling the holes with soapy water (read on google that it helps)

I'm about 99% sure that we will have to re-sod our lawn but we probably won't do that until next spring.

Anybody else experience stuff like this and/or can recommend any long term help to battle these disgusting things?

Thanks for your help!

Mow that area a little shorter and/or don't water it for a few days. Every lawn mushroom I've had has been due to excess moisture.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Mibz
    Mow that area a little shorter and/or don't water it for a few days. Every lawn mushroom I've had has been due to excess moisture.

I don't know if you use a lawn fertilizer company (Greendrop or whomever), but I noticed that they dragged a ton of spores from other peoples lawn onto mine.

Every year since using Greendrop, I had mushroom circles all over my front lawn, this year I cancelled the service, and haven't had any.

Edit: When you're picking them, use gloves and shove them in a bag right away. Their spores can seed out like crazy if youre careless with them.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Maybe dry out your lawn for a little bit. Don't water it for a while and punch holes or aerate the area. The next time you water the lawn though, do so in the wee morning, like 4-5am.

Watering at night or late evening promotes fungus growth and disease for your lawn.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    03' B6

Yeah I read/understand that it's due to excess moisture.

I don't think I even watered my lawn for the past month when we were the hot weather and the only moisture it's been getting is from the rain we got last week (Wed night and Friday afternoon).

I was thinking about aerating the lawn but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

It's because they laid the sod on top of wood scraps, which the fungi are now using as a food source. To get rid of the fungi, you'll need to remove those wood scraps.

It really has nothing to do with the water content (of course water is important but it's not the causal factor here).

My Ride
    03' B6

Do you think it has to do with the fact we live in an older neighborhood with tonnes of mature trees (60ft) and a complex tree root system?

FixedGear

Damn makes sense, I heard that being an option but have no clue what the builders put under the sod.

Any short term solution?
    Last edited by Jerms; 08-12-2014 at 01:26 PM.

It could also be they are feeding off dead roots from those big old trees. Not much you can do except excavate the dead wood.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Maybe try spraying the areas with hydrogen peroxide, I was thinking it was a piece of scrap wood