Quantcast
Doing the laundry. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Doing the laundry.

Default Doing the laundry.

I got my first upright washer and dryer about a year ago, and like anything I newly acquire, I experimented the shit out of it. Here's some of my findings that some may be interested in

1) I thought there was something wrong with the washer, as it didn't seem to be using nearly as much water as my upright. Yet, the clothes came out clean.

2) I changed from the normal 1 hour wash to the quick 15 minute wash and the clothes were still clean.

3) I changed from a warm to cold on all cycles, and the clothes were clean.

4) I reduced the recommended suggested amount of detergent by 50%, and the clothes were clean. Now that's a common marketing tactic like shampoo's, "Rinse and repeat".

Some of this may not apply to your particular venue, but overall, it's worth having a few seconds of, "Hmm".

I know these are laconic observations, but I prefer to the point conversations.

Time for you to change detergents, might be a new hobby:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-...dry-detergent/

Compare your hydro bills, are you using less energy and water?
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 08-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

1. I am guessing it's a new HE upright, which unlike the old ones don't use as much water. They also have built in sensors to only fill as much water as necessary, and before running, they measure the weight to know how much you have in there. This is a good approach but sometimes the water level might be just a bit too little. There are hacks out there to increase the water level if needed by adjusting a sensor screw for Samsung at least.

2. I doubt washing really washes anything, just makes stuff wet, adds the scent from the detergent to your load, and because it got wet, stuff kind of floats off. All new HE washers that are top loading don't have an agitator in the middle, if you look at your load inside the washer (if you have a glass top like I do), you can see that without the agitator, the clothes barely move as the washer goes back and forth. I think on my washer the only thing that maybe really washes the clothes is "AguaJet" which basically spins the tub full of water and clothes really fast until the water moves to the sides and then out of the top to basically spray the whole load with water as it spins.

3. Same as 2. I think if you have lots of greasy stains you may notice a difference.

4. Interesting observation. If you have soft water you should reduce your amount of soap used anyways, do you have a water softener by any chance?

My Ride

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Time for you to change detergents, might be a new hobby:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-...dry-detergent/
    I read a similar review recently as well and they mentioned that Costco brand was a very close second to Tide. I was always of the opinion that it's all the same and bought whatever is cheapest, but I think going forward going to use Tide powder. Wife likes the liquid stuff, but it seems based on that article that powder is better.

Originally posted by eblend

I read a similar review recently as well and they mentioned that Costco brand was a very close second to Tide. I was always of the opinion that it's all the same and bought whatever is cheapest, but I think going forward going to use Tide powder. Wife likes the liquid stuff, but it seems based on that article that powder is better.
    I am all for a pod lifestyle, a sucker for anything pre measured and pre formed. In the dishwasher we use detergent that comes in a foil wrapper, tearing it off daily is a first world aggravation. For laundry, we're still stuck in the 80's with measuring liquid. I don't know how I get through the day with such problems.

My Ride

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

I am all for a pod lifestyle, a sucker for anything pre measured and pre formed. In the dishwasher we use detergent that comes in a foil wrapper, tearing it off daily is a first world aggravation. For laundry, we're still stuck in the 80's with measuring liquid. I don't know how I get through the day with such problems.
    I was all for using the pods for laundry, but if powder cleans better, I would go with that all other things being equal.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

In my experience the Tide PODS clean the best. The Kirkland ones aren't bad, but the tide ones seem to get my white shirts the whitest.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

2 things I do that might help people:

1. When using that little cup to measure the laundry liquid, I realized I could just throw it in the washer with the clothes and take it out afterwards. It kept it from getting all sticky and gross after a month. This way it was always clean.

2. I eventually ditched the little cup completely and just mounted the liquid dispenser right above the washer. So I open the washer lid, push the button on the dispenser, it drains directly into the washer and I let go of the button. It doesn't measure but I've been doing laundry so long that I know how much I need.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mar
    2 things I do that might help people:

1. When using that little cup to measure the laundry liquid, I realized I could just throw it in the washer with the clothes and take it out afterwards. It kept it from getting all sticky and gross after a month. This way it was always clean.

2. I eventually ditched the little cup completely and just mounted the liquid dispenser right above the washer. So I open the washer lid, push the button on the dispenser, it drains directly into the washer and I let go of the button. It doesn't measure but I've been doing laundry so long that I know how much I need.
    Totally did the same things you did for years now; with the same epiphany... Pretty sure that's why they design the jugs like that.