Quantcast
Castrol Motorcycle Lapping Day Sept 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Castrol Motorcycle Lapping Day Sept 21

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default Castrol Motorcycle Lapping Day Sept 21

I'm planning on attending a lapping day in Edmonton @ Castrol Raceway 9:00am-4:00pm Sept 21

Novice group is sold out already

If anyone else wasn't aware of these events I thought I would share. This is the last event of the year so it's your last chance.

"Track events are open to riders of all skill levels. We have multiple sessions grouped by skill level."

http://www.hardnoxtrackdayz.com/trac...ce-riders.html

On a side note, if anyone has been to a lapping event, feel free to post up advise for novice riders getting their feet wet on track. (myself)
    Last edited by Modelexis; 08-26-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Upass

The hardnox guys are awesome. I did one track day with them back when stratotech was still open. Im probably not the best person to be giving advice but here it is anyways.

Forget about your back brake, my first few session I was still using it and as soon as someone advised me to stop it felt like I had a lot more brain capacity to focus on other stuff. I was locking up the rear anyways because on the track you will be braking really hard and the rear locks up easily with no weight on it.

At the beginning they will take all the noobs out with a lead rider who sets the pace and shows you the lines. Pay attention to this. The proper line is very important to bein fast. They will start really slowand then slowly ramp up the pace.

Be prepared to pull on the bars not push to steer. It makes turning a whole lot easier at track speeds.

Go slow and slowly increase your speed as you get comfortable. Th first time out is going to be a huge sensory overload. Just go slow and try to learn the track first. Don't follow others hot into the corners and get yourself into trouble. No one cares if you are slow, you are there to improve at your own pace.

Bikers are awesome people and more than willing to help, dont be shy To ask for pointers out there.

That's all I'll say since I'm a newb myself but I learned more in one day at the track then 3 years on the street. It's so damn awesome.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I bought a truck just so I could get out and attend these events, tired of riding around this city trying to find one good corner to slice.

I've done car lapping days before back when race city was around so I have an idea of the general atmosphere but I'm excited to get out and find a rhythm without worrying about pot holes or gravel or manholes.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Upass

The new tracks could not be built any sooner, I haven't been to the track all summer and come to think of it I didn't make it out last summer either.

I went to the last bike track event at Race city and 2 summers ago went to Stratotech and haven't been back since, bad time to pick up this hobby.

If I don't head out for my trip before September 21st I'll be there for this one.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

ever since race city closed i've been debating heading up that way but am always discouraged by how early i'd have to leave town living in the deep south to get up there by 8-830am.

at one point, i considered finding a cheap motel the night before so i could stay on the ground level and wheel the bike into the room.

as for advice:

- stay hydrated and snack frequently to help your focus.
    - bring extra fuel
    - pay attention to your posture, don't hump the tank.
    - since you tracked a car, remind yourself that smooth = fast,

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Some good advice already mentioned. I’ll add the following…

- Do not set out with the intention of going fast. Focus on being smooth and consistent.
    - Tape over your speedometer. You want to feel out the speed, not watch it.
    - Warm up your rubber for at least the first lap of every session.
    - If you're tired, rest. Don't feel the need to head out of pitlane if you're not feeling it.
    - Remember to breathe! You’d be surprised how many people forget to do this.
    - Do not death grip the bars – stay loose.

Obviously, there’s a lot more that could be said, but if it’s your first time, you’ll have enough on the brain as it is.

Most importantly, have fun!

Experience: countless track days and all four levels of Superbike School.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Did some test fitting last weekend, never really loaded a bike into a truck before so I'm trying to find the best way to strap it down secure.

The bike doesn't hang onto the tailgate but sticks out far enough to not allow the gate to close. What's the typical solution to this? just bungee the tailgate to the trailer hitch somehow?

I'm a truck newb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Modelexis; 08-19-2014 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Can you just move the tail of the bike over so it sits at an angle and close the gate.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

yeah...I just angle the back end of the bike. lightly strap the front end down just so it's secure, then grab the tail and swing it over until you can close the tailgate...

get canyon dancers for the front, then the rear straps are really just over kill.

I second that Hardnox are great guys. Curtis, Rob and Trayr are all doing it for the love of riding, so it works out well...and Curtis and Rob are both very talented riders. I was up there on Sunday and everyone was having a great time.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Go4Long
    yeah...I just angle the back end of the bike. lightly strap the front end down just so it's secure, then grab the tail and swing it over until you can close the tailgate...
    Maybe I'll give that method a try and just try to swing the rear over.

I've got straps that work well by going around the triple clamp:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Modelexis; 08-19-2014 at 11:19 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

how does this look:

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Must have been a ton of interest cause the novice group is booked already!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I'm proud to say that this is the only part of my body that touched the pavement this weekend.

Rookie, first time on a track and i managed to stay on the rubber while pushing pretty hard.

Accomplished my goal of touching down finally with the pucks.
    I've only been riding for just over two summers, last year I tried in parking lots to touch down with no luck...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Was an awesome event, I have tons of photos I'm gonna upload later in a separate thread.
    HardNox does an awesome job, very organized, great lunch.

I'll for sure be back for events next summer.