Quantcast
Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by a social dsease
    if I read the OP correctly, the topic up for debate is not whether or not helmet laws should exist, but whether or not Sikhs should get an exception to that law.

I believe no group should be excepted from ANY law in Canada just because they believe in a different imaginary guy in the sky than other groups.
    Totally agree. The debate of whether or not a helmet law should exist is a separate issue. I also agree that the guy in the sky is imaginary, but Sikhs or any other religious individual would disagree with that. So that too is another debate altogether as well.

It IS a law, and I agree that someone's personal views should not exempt them from the law. If you don't like the laws of a country, then don't live in that country. Simple as that.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Of course their personal views should exempt them from conflicting laws as long as we pretend to live in a tolerant and open country that advertises " Freedom of Religion."

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by benyl

as I said before. Lowest common denominator.

I need a handrail for my handrail.
    hahahahha. Man. Love the city. THose guys are awesome.

My Ride

Originally posted by a social dsease
    if I read the OP correctly, the topic up for debate is not whether or not helmet laws should exist, but whether or not Sikhs should get an exception to that law.

I believe no group should be excepted from ANY law in Canada just because they believe in a different imaginary guy in the sky than other groups. This is about Equality, and Equality means that everyone plays by the same rules; no group should have the right to pick and choose which rules they play by. Can you imagine how bizarre it would sound if I said speed limits shouldn't apply to me because I'm XX religion? Or I should be allowed to jay-walk because I'm XX skin colour? If people choose to come to Canada then they should be prepared to adapt their lifestyle to suit Canadian laws and culture, not the other way around.
    If I speed, I can lose control, crash, etc and cause harm to someone else.
    If I jaywalk, I can cause a car to move suddenly to avoid me and cause a accident that harms someone else.
    If I ride a bike with no helmet and crash, I cause harm to only myself.
    What about the Sikhs that didn't choose to come to Canada, are Canadian born Sikhs exempt?
    This is not a Canadian law, but one for Ontario.
    Please provide a link to Canada's official charter of culture, I did not know one existed.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How is this any different than mandatory seat belt laws?

Analagous issue but I wonder if smoking rates declined greater after the government mandated packaging laws. Or if obesity has decreased since calories started being more openly advertised?

Everyone has rights and they should be protected. But medical costs are really high, driving isn't your right and common sense isn't common. My friend presented a case to the government for more funding to help homeless with addictions and rehab. It could save the government millions if they got more funding, greater sized teams helping out, bigger facilities etc rather than people ODing and ending up in the hospital and costing tax payers a shitload of money. But it's their right to OD and end up in hospital if they want to, right?

I agree with their decision. Really at the end of the day there is nothing in the charter about right to drive. So if you want to, you have to play by their rules. Simple as that.

I don't know why the hell anyone would want ride without a helmet anyways. Serious brain damage can occur from something simple as falling from a bicycle - talk to anyone who works emerg. On a motorbike? I'm sorry but that's just fucking idiotic.
    Last edited by msommers; 08-20-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Toma

Show me stats? Hospitalization and total costs to taxpayers for sports related injuries, versus motorcycle Helmet preventable injuries.

Cheap rationalizations is a Nazi hallmark.

Mind your fucking business.
    It took me 10 seconds with the search function to prove your hypocrisy:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/379339/an...-gun-control-/

Maybe you should learn to mind your own fucking business, even when the Liberals do something he doesn't like it comes back to "they are basically just conservatives anyways".

Grow the fuck up and try and maintain some consistency in your arguments. Either people are free to do what they want or they are not.

None of this Emperor Toma makes a list of what is bad and what is good. Are you sure you don't work for the Liberal party?

Page 3, Toma mentions the Nazi's, who wins the pool? I had my money on page one.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride

Originally posted by msommers
    How is this any different than mandatory seat belt laws?
    All provinces in Canada have primary enforcement seat belt laws

This helmet law is solely for Ontario

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    Page 3, Toma mentions the Nazi's, who wins the pool? I had my money on page one.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by killramos

Maybe you should learn to mind your own fucking business, even when the Liberals do something he doesn't like it comes back to "they are basically just conservatives anyways".

Grow the fuck up and try and maintain some consistency in your arguments. Either people are free to do what they want or they are not.

None of this Emperor Toma makes a list of what is bad and what is good. Are you sure you don't work for the Liberal party?
    I don't see ANY inconsistency. The fact that you cant see the difference.... sad.

I was waiting for how long it took him to mention the Charter. Two posts, I think that is a new record time!
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by killramos

No matter how right you are, you'll still be wrong. Just wait for it.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    You Crazy

What? You took me off Ignore?

WOW

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by phil98z24

Too slow

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by phil98z24

I was wrong before you even posted.

And I was wrong just because!

I don't know how I will ever compete with his coherency...

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Originally posted by 5hift
    If I speed, I can lose control, crash, etc and cause harm to someone else. I agree
    If I jaywalk, I can cause a car to move suddenly to avoid me and cause a accident that harms someone else. I agree
    If I ride a bike with no helmet and crash, I cause harm to only myself. I agree
    What about the Sikhs that didn't choose to come to Canada, are Canadian born Sikhs exempt? "no group should be excepted from ANY law in Canada" - this includes Sikhs born in Canada, those born overseas, or any other group
    This is not a Canadian law, but one for Ontario. I agree
    Please provide a link to Canada's official charter of culture, I did not know one existed. This is my own personal belief, not a quote from any offical document

Sorry but I'm not really sure what your argument is, other than to troll me?
    Last edited by a social dsease; 08-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Religion or not, hell even if we had a law where we didn't have to wear helmets would you really take that chance?

I have only one noggin and I'd like to protect it... I've been down on a motorcycle and I've scraped my helmet on concrete while I went down going 10kms/hr... That could
    Of been my skull lol

Not only do Our loads suck every day of the year, have tons of gravel all the time and have some horrible drivers who never look for a bike, you really think riding around without a helmet is good?

Religion or not wearing a helmet should be mandatory in my opinion. If you can't wear one because of your religion then you should probably stick to cars.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Shlade
    Religion or not, hell even if we had a law where we didn't have to wear helmets would you really take that chance?

I have only one noggin and I'd like to protect it... I've been down on a motorcycle and I've scraped my helmet on concrete while I went down going 10kms/hr... That could
    Of been my skull lol

Not only do Our loads suck every day of the year, have tons of gravel all the time and have some horrible drivers who never look for a bike, you really think riding around without a helmet is good?

Religion or not wearing a helmet should be mandatory in my opinion. If you can't wear one because of your religion then you should probably stick to cars.
    Indeed I would never do it. I even ride my bicycle with a. Helmet

Risk vs reward...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast