Quantcast
Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets.

TORONTO – Ontario won’t allow turban-wearing Sikhs to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, a decision the Canadian Sikh Association called “deeply” disappointing.

Premier Kathleen Wynne wrote to the organization last week, saying she had struggled with striking the right balance between public safety and religious accommodation.

“After careful deliberation, we have determined that we will not grant this type of exemption as it would pose a road safety risk,” she wrote in the Aug. 14 letter.

“Ultimately, the safety of Ontarians is my utmost priority, and I cannot justify setting that concern aside on this issue.”

The mandatory helmet law is based on extensive research that shows the high risk of injury and death for motorcyclists who ride without a helmet, she added. Mortality rates have gone down 30 per cent and head injury rates down 75 per cent in jurisdictions with such laws.

Courts have also found that Ontario’s law doesn’t infringe on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms or the Ontario Human Rights Code, she said.

The association has been a strong advocate for an exemption and presented “compelling arguments,” Wynne wrote.

“However, the Ontario government has carefully monitored, and considered, the soundness of accommodating your position, drawing on relevant academic research, key legal decisions, and consultations with caucus and the community.”

The organization said it felt let down by the Liberal government, which had promised to bring in legislation that would provide the exemption.

“In all our discussions and meetings and consultations, we were given the understanding, assurances, commitment that we will be moving forward on this,” said Manohar Singh Bal, secretary of the association.

Members of all three parties as well as other high-profile Canadian politicians, such as former premier Bob Rae, all support the exemption, he said. Former transportation minister Glen Murray promised to introduce a bill sometime in March or April this year.

“The premier has reversed her position, I will say, or has not followed through on the understandings and commitments that she gave,” Bal said.

British Columbia, Manitoba and the United Kingdom have all enacted legislation that allows turban-wearing Sikhs the right to ride a motorcycle, he said.

Wearing a turban is part of their religion and dress code, he said. They can’t go out in public without wearing one.

“It’s part of their very being as a person,” Bal said.

Ontario Provincial Police allowed its uniformed officers to wear turbans long ago, but the province won’t grant Sikhs equality when it comes to the helmet law, he said.

“It’s mindboggling how they pick and choose where they want to accommodate Sikhs and where they don’t want to accommodate Sikhs,” he said.

“It’s just like we’re at the mercy of the majority that they will pick and choose which rights we are entitled to and which rights we are not entitled to, and this is a classic example of that.”

Almost a year ago, Wynne spoke out against Quebec’s controversial “values charter” which aimed to impose restrictions on religious clothing and symbols on public servants.

Her government introduced a symbolic motion promising to oppose any bills that would restrict people’s freedom of expression and religion in public places, which was passed unanimously in the legislature.

NDP MPP Jagmeet Singh, who introduced a private member’s bill to support the helmet law exemption, said he’s also disappointed in the Liberals and will continue his efforts to protect all articles of faith.

“While the Wynne Liberals are happy to pay lip service to civil rights, when the rubber meets the road, this so-called activist premier is quick to deny the Sikh community rights recognized elsewhere,” he said in a statement.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1517003/tu...ide-motorbike/

Personally, there has to be a line drawn between religious freedom and expression, and public safety and interest. I think that because owning a motor vehicle or having a driver's licence is a privilege and not a right, nor a mandate, that religious and personal freedoms should take a back seat to the rules and regulations outlined for the general public.

A turban will offer a small amount of protection versus not wearing a helmet at all, but is sweet fuck all really when protecting against road rash and head injuries. You have a much better chance of surviving a crash with a helmet versus without, the cost to the tax payer is less when it comes to medical bills...

Perhaps instead of asking for an exception, looking for an alternative would be the answer? for example, a helmet that could fit around the turban, or a turban that incorporates a helmet?

I, for one, applaud Ontario for this decision. It is readily apparent that the members of the government there were trying to avoid a racial confrontation there and placating the population of sikhs there, that is, until it came time to create the actual exception...

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
    Last edited by spikerS; 08-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Wow. That sucks. I frigging hate helmet laws. Its the main reason I sold my bike.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Re: Turban-wearing Sikhs lose exception to ride motorcycles without helmets.

Originally posted by spikerS

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
    Furthering the pussification of society. People should be able to decide for themselves if they want to wear a helmet, unfortunately since the government makes all their decisions for them they are too stupid to make a wise choice.

What a colossal waste of money that could be used for something even remotely useful.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

would they accept a colander instead of a helmet?

My Ride
    Whirlpool Deluxe washing machine

Well I am not surprised. It is exactly the same in the Canadian forces. You are allowed to wear a Turban head piece, but in training and deployment you wear a ballistic helmet for your safety.

Because bullet vs Turban. Bullet wins.

It is not a minority issue, or a issue of religion. It's a Health and Safety issue. Everyone wears protection where mandated for your safety.
    Last edited by TheStigz; 08-20-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    First On Race Day, once.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Originally posted by Wakalimasu
    would they accept a colander instead of a helmet?
    See practical stuff like this i can get behind...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Legislating for the lowest common denominator. A colander would be awesome.

My Ride

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I don't agree with the ruling actually

I think it is a personal risk to go without a helmet, just like it is a personal risk to smoke, or drink, or eat junk food. Our rights and freedoms should allow people to make that choice for themsleves.

Turban, ball cap, or showing off the bald spot... should be a personal choice.
    Would you be willing to pay for that? Due to someones overindulgent, bad habits, poor choices, to tie hospital beds and treatment facility's increasing the amount we all have to pay taxes to ease this burden on our health system?

First On Race Day, once.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Rightwing conservatism..... Make any excuse and riotionalization to find a reason to interfere in others business. Bitxh is with the wrong party.

We need a much more serious and enforceable charter.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by TheStigz

Would you be willing to pay for that? Due to someones overindulgent, bad habits, poor choices, to tie hospital beds and treatment facility's increasing the amount we all have to pay taxes to ease this burden on our health system?

maybe we shouldn't leave home, breathe air or eat food.

Those all carry a risk of being hurt, getting fat or causing cancer.

Originally posted by TheStigz

then blame the system not the people that want to exercise their freedom as human beings. If you want to go with that line of argument, you can start making laws against what people eat, drink, breath, do etc. I think we should ban skiing because I don't want to pay if someone cracks their skull on a rock like Michael Schumacher. You can make arguments about helmet laws or the like, but using our healthcare system as a basis for that is just terrible reasoning.

My Ride

Originally posted by benyl

Those all carry a risk of being hurt or causing cancer.
    Well taken.
    First On Race Day, once.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by benyl

Those all carry a risk of being hurt, getting fat or causing cancer.
    But comparing that to riding a motorcycle on the street with other cars around you? You could slip on your bike and bump your helmet on the pavement and get up without a second thought. No helmet, gg.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

While I have no problem with people living their lives dangerously, there need to be a mechanism of "you clean up your own mess if things go south", instead of the current "I sue everybody".

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Has nobody seen the obvious market for a helmet that can fit a turban? Not sure how it'd work, but if you could figure it out there's money to be made.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by A790
    Has nobody seen the obvious market for a helmet that can fit a turban? Not sure how it'd work, but if you could figure it out there's money to be made.
    I was thinking about that, a helmet for turban, a turbanet! Not sure about making a fortune considering the demographic, yeah that's racist.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Fuck you morons grasping at straws and making excuses of why YOU HAVE a right to control other people are seriously infuriating.

Mcdonalds?
    ALL sports?
    ALL sugar drinks?
    Smoking?
    Fat people?
    Motorsports?
    Performing Arts?

Mind your fucking business.

The one in a trillion chance that a guy with a turban will be injured MORE, and cost your pathetic useless asses an extra cent excuse to meddle, is laughable.

PROBABLY, will save you money. Hell just fall off and die. lol

I can definitely see both sides of the argument and understand where the Ontario government is coming. However I am a Sikh and the one thing I have valued about being part of this country is the ability to express freedom of religion. Naturally I'm biased and also feel the ruling is disappointing. Especially considering that in other provinces turbans are allowed.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

Originally posted by Toma
    Fuck you morons grasping at straws and making excuses of why YOU HAVE a right to control other people are seriously infuriating.

Mcdonalds?
    ALL sports?
    ALL sugar drinks?
    Smoking?
    Fat people?
    Motorsports?
    Performing Arts?

Mind your fucking business.

The one in a trillion chance that a guy with a turban will be injured MORE, and cost your pathetic useless asses an extra cent excuse to meddle, is laughable.

PROBABLY, will save you money. Hell just fall off and die. lol

While you are right. Sports in general has it's own governing bodies with laws, rules, safety, sponsorships yada yada. They actually tell you to wear safety equipment, or simply not play.
    First On Race Day, once.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast