Quantcast
ASET-CET certification - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ASET-CET certification

Default ASET-CET certification

Hello Beyond,

I just graduated from chemical engineering technology from Sait this past April and got a job working in waste treatment at a hard chrome plating facility. This is a new department at the company I am working for so I am the only engineering tech at the company. I am doing the lab work as well as designing and implementing the process.

My question is if my references for my C.E.T certification down the road in 2 years will be invalid or rejected because my direct lead does not have a C.E.T or P.Eng recognition.

Also my old manager was a C.E.T but he left after a month I started working

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    IMO ASET designations are basically useless, the only one that is important is APEGA. I wouldn't even worry about it... your qualifications come from SAIT, not some money collecting agency that trade marked the letters C.E.T.
    Lol Sugarphreak I was waiting for you to comment on this one. I imagine Cos will come in soon to comment on it as well with the other viewpoint.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I have an ASET Cert. My employer likes it, so they pay for it. It gives me better insurance rates than being an NAIT Alumnai.

All in all, it is what you make of it. I'm sure that people that are far more active in the Society reap far more benefits than I do.

Edit.. as for your direct question.. I was not under any CET supervision at all when I got my cert. I just went through the regular process and didn't have any issues at all.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Grimace

I used a reference with out CET or Peng, but then I had an additional 3 peng references..... Don't you need a few references to begin with? I would just give aset a call to check to make sure as you are still early on.

Originally posted by codetrap
    It gives me better insurance rates than being an NAIT Alumnai.
    I bet Touchstone Insurance can beat it though. Promise.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Originally posted by schocker
    I used a reference with out CET or Peng, but then I had an additional 3 peng references..... Don't you need a few references to begin with? I would just give aset a call to check to make sure as you are still early on.
    I'll definitely give them a shout, I'm just wondering because this plays a factor about my future with my current company and if I should get a little more experience and find another company with more P.Engs and C.E.Ts (Like Sanjel) lol or going back to school is also in my mind set like i stated in my previous threads but I'm not too sure right now I'm 19 and questioning all I've done so far in my short time on earth

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Chemengsait

I'll definitely give them a shout, I'm just wondering because this plays a factor about my future with my current company and if I should get a little more experience and find another company with more P.Engs and C.E.Ts (Like Sanjel) lol or going back to school is also in my mind set like i stated in my previous threads but I'm not too sure right now I'm 19 and questioning all I've done so far in my short time on earth
    You did one of the smartest things in the world that I wish I did.

Go forth and prosper Chem tech. You are quite literally YEARS ahead of many people who do longer schooling. You will earn mad skrilla for your education.

Get the CET if your company wants it/it promotes upwards movement, or if there are jobs you are applying for that want you to have it. Getting your CET is easy. Getting your rtech/ctech/ptech whatever the f*&k they call it now requires years of experience before you get it.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by mr2mike
    I bet Touchstone Insurance can beat it though. Promise.
    What would you like to bet?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by codetrap
    What would you like to bet?
    I was on aset rate with my car and TDMM was wayyyyy higher than touch stone. My house insurance though is still the cheapest through aset but next years annual increase should make it more than touchstone.

I'll bet nothing. But I know Touchstone beat people with the APEGGA grouping, no problem.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

CET doesn't hurt. Its a stepping stone until you qualify for P.Tech (eng).
    I heard it's getting harder and harder us dipolma guys to get their P.L. Eng. through APEGA. Most companies will take a P.Tech as a equivalent as long as your not doing any R&D. It's all experience based so as long as the person can get the job done. There's lots of P.Techs that make the same as P.Engs

Personally I haven't seen much of a difference. I'm waiting for the P.Engs to chime in and argue after that comment

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also a lot of (nothing)'s that make as much as P.Eng too...
    $ugarphreak is baller

There quite a few CET's that I would work with and for.

Also some P. Eng's that I wouldn't get on the same plane with.

I judge people on experience, not on what letters they have after their name.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

One big disadvantage the P.Tech has over a P.Eng is that as far as I know it is only recognized in Alberta (someone correct me if I am wrong). The P.Eng is transferrable to all the provincial engineering bodies in Canada, as is the C.E.T. with the provincial technologist bodies.

I never bothered registering with ASET, but that was a personal choice because I've never needed it, not knocking on it at all.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Having your C.E.T. definitely won't hurt you, if anything it shows to potential employers that you bothered to study for the Professional Practice exam (ASET guys now write the same exam as APEGA guys) and that you bother doing CPD (Professional Development). But as others have said it's the P.Tech, PL.(Eng.) and P.Eng. that brings in the $$$

Originally posted by mrsingh
    One big disadvantage the P.Tech has over a P.Eng is that as far as I know it is only recognized in Alberta (someone correct me if I am wrong). The P.Eng is transferrable to all the provincial engineering bodies in Canada, as is the C.E.T. with the provincial technologist bodies.

I never bothered registering with ASET, but that was a personal choice because I've never needed it, not knocking on it at all.
    I thought it was only APEGA's PL.(Eng.) which was in Alberta only and not in other provinces and that other provinces did have their equivalent of a P.Tech.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Nufy
    There quite a few CET's that I would work with and for.

Also some P. Eng's that I wouldn't get on the same plane with.

I judge people on experience, not on what letters they have after their name.

My lead is a C.E.T. and he has EIT's, TT's, C.E.T.'s, P.Eng's and even PHD's reporting to him. All about how you do what you do ***flame suit on***

I am currently a CET but have qualified for my P.L. through Apega.

Just got to write the Exam in October.

Got to start somewhere.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast