Quantcast
Cars with low miles? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cars with low miles?

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default Cars with low miles?

Some times it actually makes me nervous to see cars at used car dealerships
    cause I think they been rolled back. Can a 2011 BMW be rolled bacK?
    Also, how much room to move do dealerships, like BMW gallery, have to move on used cars? I always thought they had much more room than a new car? What can I expect from a 42K price tag?

I have a 2012 Mercedes with 2400kms on it. Maybe some people buy cars when they don't need to and they just sit there.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

If I was buying from a one owner person that would be much different. It's the dealers who I dont trust and for good reason. I know from personal experience some cars can be fixed but that was a long time ago.
    ANy way I was just offered a 2012 335i coupe for 39800 all in. price tag was 42,900.
    Is that reasonable???

My Ride
    FB6

It's not impossible, but it's not as simple as swapping clusters as the odometer data isn't only stored in the cluster.

It shows an error if the mileage doesn't match between the cluster and the car.

Can't comment on your offer but as for dealers. I think you're pretty safe if you're dealing with larger dealers and not just used lots. This is all my opinion though.

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by old&slow
    If I was buying from a one owner person that would be much different. It's the dealers who I dont trust and for good reason. I know from personal experience some cars can be fixed but that was a long time ago.
    ANy way I was just offered a 2012 335i coupe for 39800 all in. price tag was 42,900.
    Is that reasonable???
    What options are on it? What's the kms?

Audiophile? Navi? M sport? 19" rims?

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

M Sport, Executive Package, including navigation, voice control, parking sensors, satellite radio, heated seats with lumbar support, comfort access, alarm system, and more. CARPROOF CLEAN, NO ACCIDENTS.

This BMW 335i xDrive has a 330 HP inline 6 cylinder engine with an 8 speed automatic transmission. It is both efficient and powerful, with excellent balance and handling, in addition to intelligent all wheel drive, making it a sports car for all conditions. It has plenty of factory warranty, plus we offer a variety of options for extending warranty coverage, and financing is available up to 84 months OAC.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Have you gone online to see how the car is priced amongst other ones for sale? Its next to impossible to manipulate the odo on a modern BMW, it's also highly illegal. This isn't 1991 bud, you don't see much odo. manipulation anymore.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

I wouldn't worry about roll backs too much these days. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the mileage matches the condition just by looking at it. You shouldn't be buying anything without a mechanical inspection anyway.

Used cars at high end dealers like BMW usually have crazy markup. I've seen them $10K above the private market, depending on what you're looking for. Some people just need the peace of mind (real or imagined) that comes from buying from a dealer. Certified cars are great (warranty) but you pay a huge amount for it. Sometimes you can't help it, but I avoid buying from dealers whenever possible. Markup + GST adds a huge amount of unnecessary expense to the cost in most cases.

There is a ton of room to move on a $42K car at BMW, at least based on my experience, but you may not get much of it. I'd be surprised if they paid more than $30-35k for that car on a trade or from auction.

I drive 5000-6000 km/year. My car just rolled past 30,000kms. I have a mental block at 100,000 KM and would never touch a used car anywhere near that, but I realize I might be in the minority on that one. I just find that KM's impact a car's condition more than anything, and the premium for low KM cars is never that much, so I don't even bother looking at high KM cars.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-22-2014 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

This car?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true

lol @ the 2 spoilers and M badge.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 08-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

The car in question has 29K on it. Has balance of warranty.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I wouldn't worry about roll backs too much these days. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the mileage matches the condition just by looking at it. You shouldn't be buying anything without a mechanical inspection anyway.

Used cars at high end dealers like BMW usually have crazy markup. I've seen them $10K above the private market, depending on what you're looking for. Some people just need the peace of mind (real or imagined) that comes from buying from a dealer. Certified cars are great (warranty) but you pay a huge amount for it. Sometimes you can't help it, but I avoid buying from dealers whenever possible. Markup + GST adds a huge amount of unnecessary expense to the cost in most cases.

There is a ton of room to move on a $42K car at BMW, at least based on my experience, but you may not get much of it. I'd be surprised if they paid more than $30-35k for that car on a trade or from auction.

I drive 5000-6000 km/year. My car just rolled past 30,000kms. I have a mental block at 100,000 KM and would never touch a used car anywhere near that, but I realize I might be in the minority on that one. I just find that KM's impact a car's condition more than anything, and the premium for low KM cars is never that much, so I don't even bother looking at high KM cars.
    Little bit of mis-information bud
    The average used car profit at a bmw dealer is $1700 - $2200. A 42K asking price would have been bought for $32-35K. There is a huge amount of warranty costs and reconditioning costs involved to certify a BMW. Before the dealer has cleaned the car and put gas in it there is an average of $4500 to cpo. The used car business for bmw dealers is a tough gig.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Yeah I'm not sure whats up with the M badge. Spoiler is kinda weird as well...but at least is low and is the last thing you will see...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:32 PM.

My 2012 Subaru Forester has 3846 kms .. She likes to stay in the garage where it's safe..

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

And I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, my 2013 Lexus bought last spring already has 38,000 kms on it lol.

OP I wouldn't worry too much about odometer rollback these days, especially through a major dealer. Looks like a nice car!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Re: Cars with low miles?

Originally posted by old&slow
    Some times it actually makes me nervous to see cars at used car dealerships
    cause I think they been rolled back. Can a 2011 BMW be rolled bacK?
    Also, how much room to move do dealerships, like BMW gallery, have to move on used cars? I always thought they had much more room than a new car? What can I expect from a 42K price tag?
    Back in December 2011 I bought my 135i (September 2008 in service date, 14500km on it) from Calgary BMW, they were asking $41k+tax and I paid just over $36k all in.

Depends on the car and what the dealer paid but there's always room to move on pretty much any car.
    Last edited by Twin_Cam_Turbo; 08-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Disoblige
    This car?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true

lol @ the 2 spoilers and M badge.
    HA typical BMW steering wheel wear.. 9 and 3 positions are *MINT*.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Nice looking car though. I do like the M kit despite the user tacked on M badge. Also that car is 6MT, not auto. The specs paragraph is also a mismash of shit - 335s make 300HP, and only the Fxx have the 8 speed auto. I don't recall any 335 with 330HP quoted as the HP figure - even the 335is was 320 IIRC. Kinda sad coming from a BMW dealer.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by clem24

... only the Fxx have the 8 speed auto. I don't recall any 335 with 330HP quoted as the HP figure - even the 335is was 320...
    Must've copied the description from an F30 M-Performance Edition... 326hp
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Little bit of mis-information bud
    The average used car profit at a bmw dealer is $1700 - $2200. A 42K asking price would have been bought for $32-35K. There is a huge amount of warranty costs and reconditioning costs involved to certify a BMW. Before the dealer has cleaned the car and put gas in it there is an average of $4500 to cpo. The used car business for bmw dealers is a tough gig.
    That's more money than I thought you'd put into the average car, but I was right about the dealer cost. How is it $4500+ per car just to certify? Obviously you would know, but I'm really surprised that it's that high. It's super easy to find a used car that doesn't immediately need anywhere near $4500+ of work on it. What if you get a really good sample?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast