Quantcast
i just found out about runflats! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: i just found out about runflats!

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default i just found out about runflats!

Pricey. Should I consider replacing them when wornout?

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

run flats are nice but a lot of people don't like them because they are too stiff and not too much roll/flex from the side wall

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

RFT is heavier.
    More expensive.
    Less gas mileage and performance.
    Bounce around like crazy when you take a sharp corner and a hit a bump.
    Terrible road noise especially when wearing down.
    Cannot be repaired so they say.

Pros you have a 100 k's of driving without a spare if you get a flat.(Under ideal conditions.)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    MR2

tire shops also charge a lot more to mount run-flats

As a former tire technician, people who have run flats are still likely to wreck them. They assume since they are run flats they can keep driving normal. They will still do that up to 80KM/h or over and chew up the sidewall of the tire.

If you have a spare tire in your car, I'd say switch to a regular tire.
    If you don't have a spare and all you have are run flats, honestly that's your only spare.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by cancer man
    RFT is heavier.
    More expensive.

Pros you have a 100 k's of driving without a spare if you get a flat.(Under ideal conditions.)
    prolly explains why I am not so impressed as i thought I would be with road noise and handling of this 2112 335ix with only 29k on it...
    It corners nearly as well as my 2004 rsx with A-Spec suspension. Road noise is about the same. Bumps around about the same.
    Oh well, I look gangsta now

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Get a plug patch kit and get rid of them asap.

Originally posted by old&slow

prolly explains why I am not so impressed as i thought I would be with road noise and handling of this 2112 335ix with only 29k on it...
    It corners nearly as well as my 2004 rsx with A-Spec suspension. Road noise is about the same. Bumps around about the same.
    Oh well, I look gangsta now
    Just to manage your expectations, I wouldn't expect the road noise to improve that significantly with a tire change. The E90 just isn't that quiet of a car. The F30 seems to do a lot better in that department.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by sneek

Just to manage your expectations, I wouldn't expect the road noise to improve that significantly with a tire change. The E90 just isn't that quiet of a car. The F30 seems to do a lot better in that department.
    Depends on the tire. Throw on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and you'll be impressed on how much road noise improves

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Agreed, anyone who hasn't driven on a good set of Michelins is missing out on a quiet ride.

My winter Michelins are actually quieter then the dueler h/t's that were on from the factory.

I've yet to have a good experience with runflats. As mentioned there's very few pros to the cons.

I'd vote a good tire and a plug patch kit and 12v inflator. Good tires with decent tread left are far less likely to puncture. Also not driving in the ditch helps. Most tire repairs in my career especially during the housing boom were on the right rear tire.

My Ride
    N54B30O1

The pro is the obvious benefit of the ability to keep driving (at a reduced speed) when a flat occurs -- you CHOOSE where and when to stop and where and when to do any kind of repair. Most flats I've experienced are slow leaks as a result of a nail or screw in the tread. The TPMS system usually identifies the low tire when I'm on Deerfoot. The runflat gives me the confidence to drop speed and continue on to a safe exit to get to a place where I can check pressures. If it's just low enough to trigger the TPMS (ie. 22 psi or so) I feel completely comfortable continuing to drive to a gas station or even to work to get air afterwards.

Winter is the big issue. Consider the safety aspect of NOT being stopped at the side of Deerfoot, in the dark... in icy or snowy conditions.. in the cold... you just can't buy any more safety than completely eliminating that situation.

Hell, it happened today on Highway 1. I got a TPMS light and rather than stop with vehicles blitzing past me at 125, I continued driving (on the shoulder, at reduced speed) for another 500m to a safe location. If I had a conventional tire, that would have destroyed a truly flat tire. The TPMS turned out to be a false alarm... had a tire replaced from damage last week and all pressures were good, so it likely related to that. But I was able to check all my tires safely... and that is why I will continue to buy runflats.

One big downside I have found (and for me it doesn't outweigh the big safety benefit above) is that they seem prone to sidewall bubbles and ultimately failure. When that happens, you are indeed without a spare. At that point you better hope you have a Ferrari Roadside Emergency Kit... which is a bottle of red wine, two glasses and a cell phone. I thought the bubble problem was limited to my winters (Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST's) but the replacement last week I referenced above was a bubble on the sidewall of my summers, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's.

Originally posted by cancer man
    RFT is heavier.
    More expensive.
    ^ I'll also add ride quality too. The OEM RFTs were generally harsher riding.

I always enjoyed the smoother ride on my winter setup (non-RFT) but attributed that partly to the minus size 17s. However I finally replaced my 18 summers this year with non-RFTs and am again enjoying a much smoother, quieter ride, and better performance to boot.

I keep a BMW accessory inflation kit in my trunk, and have AMA. And if I was really paranoid on a particular trip I could throw one of my winters into the car as a just-in-case (never have, yet). But I also rarely take my 335i out of town.

I won't be buying RFTs again.