Quantcast
Calgarians hate schools? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgarians hate schools?

Default Calgarians hate schools?

Guess green space used for dogs to take a dump is more important than building schools? I mean yeah how outrageous you can't have your dog running about and taking a crap in the school yard...

First it was:
    Excuse moi?

That’s the sentiment among hundreds of residents in a northwest Calgary community who have launched a major campaign to prevent a 400-student Francophone school from being established over a portion of a treasured park.

Residents in Scenic Acres contend they had no indication that a regional facility run by Conseil Scolaire FrancoSud was in the works until a provincial announcement green lighting the project came in February.

The land, located along Scenic Acres Drive NW, had previously belonged to the Calgary Board of Education, but it was deemed “surplus” and handed to the Francophone board in 2011.

At a meeting in late May, more than 350 residents attended to protest the school’s development, according to Ward 1 Coun. Ward Sutherland.

“They were pretty hostile,” he said.

Scenic Acres residents have formed the “Save Our Park Steering Committee,” and have begun collecting donations and drafting petitions in hopes of preventing the school’s development. But committee representatives refused to take questions from Metro on the matter Tuesday.

“A process is currently underway to determine the best location for a new regional elementary school for the Conseil Scolaire FrancoSud in northwest Calgary,” read an email response. “It would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.”

Anne-Marie Boucher, trustee chair for the Francophone board, confirmed her organization is now looking at alternative vacant sites on land owned by both the CBE and the Calgary Catholic School District in an effort to be “good neighbours.”

“Yes, we were surprised,” she said of the initial community reaction. “Usually, a school in a neighbourhood is good news . . . it seems that some people think we’re taking over the whole greenspace, but the space is supposed to be a shared space.

Boucher said the school would allow them to move students from its packed site near Market Mall, formerly called Jerry Potts School when run by the CBE. She said that site is in need of renovations and has five modulars attached to it — even then some kids are forced to learn in the library due to space pressures.

Neither Boucher nor Sutherland would specify what other communities the facility could be established in, but the councillor said alternative locations had been proposed in his own ward as well as two others.

Area residents enjoying the Scenic Acres park Tuesday afternoon appeared largely unaware of the potential school development despite a sign placed by the community committee advising them to be informed.

Ryu Araki relaxes at the park with his wife and two kids routinely, but said he wasn’t necessarily opposed to the school either.

“She’s interested in French-immersion (for the kids),” Araki said, before adding, “but this is also a really good space.”

A potential move of the Francophone school has also caught the attention of Alberta Education Minister Jeff Johnson who urg ed Sutherland and the school boards to come to a “speedy resolution.”

“I would stress that these decisions on school site locations are made at the local level by municipalities and their school boards and that that province has not involved in the site selection process,” the minster wrote.

Controversy has flared recently in another northwest community as Varsity residents stormed the office of MLA Donna Kennedy-Glans to complain about the potential impacts of establishing a replacement school for special-needs students at Christine Meikle in their neighbourhood.

Sutherland said the frustration in Scenic Acres again comes down largely to a lack of notice and questions about site selection. He said traffic and congestion issues will emerge with the new school and it’s estimated just eight kids from the community will attend the school with the 392 being bussed in.

“The days are gone when you don’t do public consultation,” he said. “I don’t get it — it should be standard policy.”
    Now it is:
    Calgary’s public school board has countered a lawsuit attempting to block development of a a special-needs school in a northwest neighbourhood, claiming plaintiffs or representatives have specifically raised concerns about the intelligence of students and the intended purpose of the facility.

The Calgary Board of Education’s statement of defence comes in response to a claim from perturbed landowners in the community of Varsity, many of which have property backing onto a park that could be partially used for a new Christine Meikle School.

The lawsuit, first reported by Metro earlier this month, seeks to gain an injunction preventing the development and to have the land turned over to the City of Calgary. Plaintiffs are also seeking damages for alleged loss of property value and the “high-handed conduct” of the Calgary Board of Education, which is steering the development.

But the CBE’s statement of defence, filed Tuesday, said the 30 listed plaintiffs “seek to advance an isolated set of interests which are contrary to the best interests of the citizens of the City of Calgary.”

The defence filing strikes at the basis of the residents’ statement of claim that the CBE had a legal obligation under the Municipal Government Act to hand the green space over to the City of Calgary after it declared the land as “surplus.”

Specifically, the document states that “the School Lands are not and have not been designated as surplus lands” and, legally, have “maintained their character as reserve land.” The board referenced a 2012 move to ensure the land remained for a school.

Emotions have run high among critics of the lawsuit, including Christine Herman, daughter of the famed special-needs advocate that both the current and future schools are named after.

CBE officials have said the current Meikle facility in Bridgeland is severely outdated and doesn’t serve the needs of its current crop of 75 students, many of whom are in wheelchairs.

Reached Wednesday, Herman said she’s sticking by her beliefs that the lawsuit is the “lowest of the low.”

“(The Varsity residents’) dogs go there and do their business and now they’re going to have to go somewhere else,” she said. “I think it comes down to that simple thing.”

A number of the listed plaintiffs have declined requests for interviews and their legal representative Richard John did not respond to an email request for an interview Tuesday.

In a previous statement, the only he’s provided about the lawsuit, John said the matter “does not address the nature of the facility” that’s being planned for the park.

But the CBE’s claim alleges the plaintiffs or at least one of their representatives have “focused on the special needs of the students and the nature of the school.”

The board said questions were raised about the I.Q. of students with special needs and suggestions were made the Meikle is actually a medical facility and “would be used for the purpose of parking students with special needs to give the students’ parents a break.”

The CBE has said it hopes to have Meikle ready for students come September 2016.

None of the allegations on either side has been proven in court.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Calgarians hate schools?

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Francophone school
    I highlighted the elephant in the room, and the real cause for the hate...

My Ride
    Horse

^

The residents in the Varsity article sound like the worst kind of NIMBY's though.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Calgary is turning into a dystopian society. It's all the money attracting questionable people from all over.

My Ride
    Whirlpool Deluxe washing machine

oh fermer la bouche!

I can't believe these residents!
    First On Race Day, once.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by flipstah
    Calgary is turning into a dystopian society. It's all the money attracting questionable people from all over.
    You clearly don't live near a school lol.

The only thing worse than deal with retarded kids who have no sense, is dealing with their retarded parents who encourage them.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Default Re: Re: Calgarians hate schools?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I highlighted the elephant in the room, and the real cause for the hate...
    Pssh, there already is one in Varsity... It's the old Jerry Potts school and I this is what I encountered one day one the way to work when I was running a few minutes late...

I like schools. Because it forces people to drive slower where I am.

As for the kids in the school. Meh, I imagine it would make a good shelter when the US tries to invade Canada again, looking for tax money - again.
    Cocoa $8,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I haz no kids... therefore I am all for no schools near me

I'd be ticked off if they demolished a park that I use near me to put in a school that would be useless to me.
    A school within walking distance would increase your property value... I'd call that useful

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by FraserB

You clearly don't live near a school lol.

The only thing worse than deal with retarded kids who have no sense, is dealing with their retarded parents who encourage them.
    I do but it's fenced in to keep the kiddies from running amok.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Fuck I hate NIMBY's.

It's Varsity. Stuck up WASPs.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This happened in Arbour Lake when the school was being built. Homes backing onto the greenspace was promised that the space was not going to be developed, and when the school was built, they lost their beautiful view. Home values plummeted 20% along the ridge.

Just a couple of NIMBY's making a lot of noise.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by rage2
    This happened in Arbour Lake when the school was being built. Homes backing onto the greenspace was promised that the space was not going to be developed, and when the school was built, they lost their beautiful view. Home values plummeted 20% along the ridge.

Just a couple of NIMBY's making a lot of noise.
    That's a big drop especially since a school typically adds value, similar to an LRT station closeby. Was it because it blocked a spectacular view of the mountains or something?

Then again, houses along the Martindale station definitely saw a plummet.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.

What? When was the greenspace re-zoned??? Those kinds of changes are really hard to do once things are established.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

I don't understand this country.
    Why does every community need a school? Would it not make sense to centralize operations? But then poor Johnny and Susie would have to spend hours each day on a bus thanks to urban sprawl.

I come from a backwards 3rd world country and this is how it was it my home town. Edited to add: the population in my town was around 5-10 million give or take
    We had 3 junior highs. One all boys, one all girls, and one mixed boys & girls.
    We had 4 highschools. One all boys, one all girls, and two mixed boys & girls.

We had 30-40 kids per class and I seem to recall I got a better education there than I did here.

Our parents had to buy all our supplies, they even had to buy school uniforms. There was no private bussing. Either the parents drove the kids or they walked or rode bicycles, or took commuter taxis (paid by the parents). There were no lunch rooms, you either packed a lunch or went without.

Granted each school was massive (similar in size to SAIT) so it could fit all the kids

I actually am getting a Catholic school built on a park I drive by daily, so in the span of 1km from where I live, I am going to have 3 schools right by me. It's going to be awesome

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by flipstah
    That's a big drop especially since a school typically adds value, similar to an LRT station closeby. Was it because it blocked a spectacular view of the mountains or something?
    http://goo.gl/maps/9crLX

Blocked the view of COP. It's the first row of houses on the right that was affected.

Originally posted by suntan
    What? When was the greenspace re-zoned??? Those kinds of changes are really hard to do once things are established.
    I'm not entirely sure the greenspace was even re-zoned. I think it was just a lack of due diligence by the homeowners when they purchased the homes, coupled with white lies told by the builders when they were selling them.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'm not entirely sure the greenspace was even re-zoned. I think it was just a lack of due diligence by the homeowners when they purchased the homes, coupled with white lies told by the builders when they were selling them.
    Well then, it's not anybody's fault but the people that bought them.

When did this "price drop" occur anyhow? Many of the homes in Arbour Lake are still hella expensive.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast