Quantcast
2014/2015 Snowfall Warning Thread - Page 34 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014/2015 Snowfall Warning Thread

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Fucking Calgary.... I went for a quick drive today to get something, and absolutely everybody is doing 20km/h... WTF is wrong with these people? I just started driving around people whenever lanes permitted it, this is absurd.

You might as well just give up on driving, get a nice winter coat and walk everywhere and stop being a burden to the people around you.
    That shit happens even when its just slightly snowing. On Friday I was driving down on Mcleod and people were doing 10-20 under the speed limit when the roads were perfectly find albeit some blowing snow.

Originally posted by speedog
    Wow, 650+ reported accidents in a 40 hour period in Calgary (6:00am Friday to 10:00pm Saturday) per CPS (Calgary SUN story).

For sure, I came upon accidents in places I have never seen accidents before including the one pictured in that news article - all I can figutre is people just have their heads up their butts.
    yesterday I saw jackass after jackass tailgate 2 city plows side by side clearing beddington trail near hidden valley and idiots behind them tailgate each other and change lanes back and forth to get 1 car ahead. It was ok to pass after the lane opened up after the petro can.This was 8 am on sat morning. Seriously, stupid fucking people like these that can't wait a few minutes more caused most of the 650+ accidents in the city yesterday and they absolutely deserve it.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by revelations
    When the road is glare ice, even studded tires have their limits. Wife has them on her vehicle and it was scketchy for her as well.

I would almost use chains in these conditions
    I agree, I have winters on the car and even with them, the icy patches were extremely slippery and even the slightest throttle set the traction control off.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Originally posted by revelations
    Its appalling that the provinces have not mandated winter driving exams like they have done in the rest of the developed world that shares the same northern latitudes (Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc.). And simply mandating winter tires (Quebec) does not make one think like a winter driver.

In Alberta, driving exams are cancelled because of winter weather.

In Nordic countries, winter road tests are not conducted WITHOUT harsh winter driving conditions.
    I live in one (Sweden) and did all my training and testing here. You are incorrect; the road test can be taken any time of the year. However, it is mandatory to do one day of slippery conditions / skid training or whatever to call it. During it, one gets instructed some theory, instructions on how to approach and respond to stuff happening, and get to try braking, cornering, and 'elk avoidance' test at a few different traction levels. The most slippery being about similar to icy roads with really good studded winter tires (all over the place when doing the elk test - no one in my group could avoid colliding with the 'elks' even at the slowest speed we had to try it at. Except super me!)

EDIT: Winter tires are required by law here, and so are summer tires. No-season tires are not permitted during any time of the year.

Oh and hi all - I have the 2013 edition of that massive winter tire comparison test that I first posted back in 2003 - 11 years ago. I'm checking for what interest there is in getting the data translated and to you guys. See http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3
    Last edited by Mikko; 12-06-2014 at 01:00 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

The province really needs to create the driver's licence amnesty program. People can come in and surrender their driver's licences for bus passes.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I agree, I have winters on the car and even with them, the icy patches were extremely slippery and even the slightest throttle set the traction control off.
    yup.

I got studded winters on my truck with 4x4 on, and my traction control is constantly going on. I am having to turn it off at times because it is fighting against me sometimes.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikerS

yup.

I got studded winters on my truck with 4x4 on, and my traction control is constantly going on. I am having to turn it off at times because it is fighting against me sometimes.
    yah dude.. the T/C on the truck is far too invasive, yet if you turn it off, you still get a delayed t/c "wheel spin" control, giving more of an LSD type of traction aid.

I kinda wish traction control was inbetween, a bit more progressive.

My friend's truck with Goodyear Ultra Ice Grip studded is pretty solid compared to my duratracs, but these conditions are a bit hairy.

I run 32psi (@ 5c) and for me, adding about 250lbs over the rear axel in these conditions helps.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Deerfoot was quite fun this morning

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I thought deer foot wasn't that bad considering. I was doing 60km/hr as long as people don't hit the brakes it's all good. My ram 1500 is awsome in the snow with winter tires, my rs4 with winters is a handful.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I was hearing that we are supposed to get 15~20cm of snow by the afternoon

No doubt that the drive from DT is going to be a complete pain in the ass today
    Yup snowfall warning in effect for the next day or two.

Driving the work cars around are going to be SUPPPPPPER fun... crappy all seasons in a fwd..

good ol snow fall warning.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

People with all seasons should not be allowed to use the open secret shortcuts. Seriously, if you're going to cut through areas to save time, don't fucking drive 10 and create a 10 car train.

First time this year my commute broke the 30 minute barrier. Fuckers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2

First time this year.
    I see what you did there

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by spikerS

yup.

Accelerating or braking and turning? Must be all the torks. I still have stock "all terrain" tires on the Toyota and in 4wd it's fine but braking and turning I wish was better so I'm getting proper winters next fall.

The other thing I wished it had is the auto 4wd setting. If I have it in 4hi and forget to shut it off and go into a parkade or somewhere dry and try to turn it's no good
    Last edited by Aleks; 01-06-2015 at 09:11 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    I see what you did there
    Sorry didn't mean it that way. First time this winter haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Found the snow gave me more traction.
    Tonight will suck. Snow will be packed down.

FYI SpikerS, that's the second thing I do when I get my car started. Turn on heated steering wheel, turn off traction control.

If I'm tired, I'll leave it on but really I'd rather be the one controlling my car. With traction control, in deep snow, you can essentially come to a stop which is not what you want. You want to be right at the threshold of about to spin. Really deep snow, goal is to just keep all tires going forward. But most don't get this so traction control is on.
    Last edited by mr2mike; 01-06-2015 at 09:16 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by rage2
    People with all seasons should not be allowed to use the open secret shortcuts. Seriously, if you're going to cut through areas to save time, don't fucking drive 10 and create a 10 car train.

First time this year my commute broke the 30 minute barrier. Fuckers.
    Just buy like 10 car bras and nudge them off the road

I liked all the people with zero spatial awareness driving down the middle of every road.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I really don't know how people drive so shitty, specially when the snow flies. It's like people just go full retard.

I've got a Mitsubishi mirage rental piece of shit with 13" all seasons and I could still get around better than 85% of the people on the road this morning.

God damn S4 needs to get fixed asap!

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast