Quantcast
Atco Gas(Fuck heads) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Atco Gas(Fuck heads)

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Default Atco Gas

So i purchased an older home, that has the gas meter in the basement.

I got a call from a fellow at atco requesting to relocate it, so i set up and appointmet. He phones me back to move it because it doesn't work so i say ya ok whatever anyday is fine as im only 10 min from home at work.

Fast forward to tuesday, i forget about the appointment and have to leave town that evening anyway for work.

Well i get back last night 12:30 from 3 shitty long days working to no heat or hot water, i say fuck it jump in bed and leave for work in the morning cause i have ton to of shit to do. I honestly thought i just needed to relight the appliances because of them doing something..

My dad goes over to check it out as we are doing a ton of other reno's to the house, and they had fucking disconnected my home entirely from the gas line and capped it outside.

How in the fuck is that ok? They didn't call to remind me about the appointment or even fucking call to tell me they were there. Ya i'm an idiot for forgetting about it, but how is that ok? Seems a bit fucking ridiculous to just cut someones home off entirely from utility that they pay for?

Am i wrong for being absolutely pissed off about this? I know some of you will play the devils advocate and tell me it's my fault for forgetting, but they guy had my number, he couldn't even give me a courtesy call? He was obviously there for a while doing work since he put a support bracket and valve and cap on?

Seems like a pretty fucking ridiculous move to make on their part no?

/vent
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 09-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

So you're mad because they showed up on the date they scheduled for you and had the nerve to start the work without calling?

They could have very well knocked on the door... you werent around so they started anyways. I dont think you have much reason to be mad....

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I think he's pissed for them not letting him know he would be without gas for more than a couple of hours.

And rightfully so. If it's going to be overnight, the owner has a right to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    SpecB

JC, Sucks.. but I think if this was in the winter it'd be a much bigger deal. (pipes freezing, insurance, that kind of stuff). Ridiculous, yes. But I think you dodged a bullet.

When did you get gas back up and running? (i.e. have you yet?)

If this is the worst that happens to you during your reno you're doing OK (For a quick comparison - and I've barely started myself on renos, Enmax came and relocated an old power pole on me and now the tension line on it blocks my rear gate ..so my beater pickup-truck and a rented refuse bin are currently trapped in my backyard until I remove a tree and a fence to make a new entry)
    -GP
    Signatures are dumb..

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

So if I understand it correctly, they needed access to your home to remove the old gas meter in your basement, but since you weren't hope they just started on the outside in hopes you would show up later to let them in. Seems fucked that that they would even start on it and leave your place disconnected. Perhaps they tried to call but couldn't get through wherever you were out of town?

Whatever the case, I doubt they did this on purpose, probably were in a bind themselves, but they should have let you know somehow, even a note on the door or something.

My Ride
    AECO

IMO you have no right to complain here - especially since you forgot the appointment AND didn't call them either. They probably needed to do pressure testing on the new line and/or your property was holding up the construction schedule or something along those lines. Would you have rather received the bill for holding up the schedule, ie pay for them to move the equipment back into your lane? I would suggest that your title is also a bit extreme.

My Ride

I would have rather received a call and i would have told them the fucking code to my house and they coulda went right in and got the work done. there was no equipment in the lane, they literally welded a coupling with a nipple on to the old line and screwed a valve on that was plugged.

I didn't realize i had forgetten about the appointment until late that evening when i was packing up to head to a facility for work or else i would have gotten my ass over there or called.

The guy who ended up coming on the weekend was great, he couldn't get it done saturday because he didn't have the correct tools. He tried calling around to find someone to do it and couldn't find anyone. so he returned first thing sunday morning and got it done. Was really a good guy and just wanted to solve the problem for me, so i really appreciated that. He made all the difference in this situation honestly.

But otherwise no matter what they shouldn't have capped the line and left. That's just ridiculous. No argument can deny that. Yes i had forgotten about the apointment, but we do not live in the stone age, my phone number is directly accessible to anyone at that company connected to the account. This appointment wasn't to benefit me, it was to make reading the meter more accessible for them.

Either way, you guys can spout all the shit you want about me missing the appointment, it doesn;t change the fact i had no heat and hot water tues-sunday morning. You would be pissed too, even if you wouldn't admit it. At this point, i'm pissed it happened, but was really happy with the guy working the weekend. He actually seemed to care.

My Ride
    CBR 929

I dont think they are allowed to work in someones home with nobody there... too many theft risks/accusations.

[url]

My Ride

I honestly would have dropped work and went straight there had i remembered or got a call. even buddy on saturday said he would drive over to get the tools and come back and do it, but it would have put his day off so i told him no, and to just do it when he had time. I'm not one to try and put people out like that.

The title might be a bit harsh, but it's annoying coming home from the field to no hot water.. Like i said, if this was you in the situation you would be pretty pissed too.

Either way, props to the weekend guy. Hard working fella. Going to call and let them know that he did his part and made them look better.

Be thankful that they don't charge for missed appointments like dentists! They probably have a busy schedule, not their job to babysit people.

My Ride
    NC1

first world problem for sure.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AECO

http://twentytwowords.com/a-flowchar...al-discussion/

http://www.atcogas.com/Services/Serv...nd_Replacement

First, moving the gas meter outside does benefit the homeowner, because they will then have more space in the basement, less potential for gas leaks in the house, a new updated meter which is ostensibly more accurate, and the homeowner will not need to be bothered with it again reading/maintenance. See how inconvenient it was having the meter inside?

ATCO Sent a construction crew to the address on the workorder (I say address, because that's all they are, another address) to relocate the meter at the agreed upon time. By what was described*, the meter move was not concurrent with another upgrade project in the area. ATCO generally rolls 2+ crew trucks and 2-4+ guys to the address on the workorder (do the math) with the mini excavator that they need for meter moves. Was there any excavation in this case? Many times they need to excavate to reroute the buried gas line from the old interior meter location when the new exterior meter location does not line up. The customer was not home, so they did as much as they could do without any access to the premises. The construction crew may or may not have had the customer phone number on the workorder, but according to the above link, they don't need permission anyways. And keep in mind these are construction guys, not the customer service guys. I can's say exactly what the scenario for the ATCO guys is, but if it were a decision between not making 8 hours for the day because somebody is not home or cutting off your gas, guess which one would probably win.

If a customer is upset with they service they receive from ATCO gas, they can always take a crescent wrench and shut off the valve at the gas meter. Problem solved.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

^ I don't think you understand. It's ATCO's job to chase their customers all over the place to make sure they are home at the appointment time. If a customer is not there, the dirty tradesman should be waiting for the homeowner to show up and be glad they even have a job at all. Expecting people to keep track of their own appointments is nonsense.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

tbh the entire thing could have been solved easily. DING DONG.. no answer... ok np, call customer cellphone "Hello? I'm outside your house." Now the customer could say "oh shit I forgot". or "wait 5 minutes, i'll be right there.". Then ATCO could chose to wait or leave and charge $50 for their time wasted etc, but at least you know... COMMUNICATION. It's the OPs fault yes, but what's the issue with just communicating? In this day and age no excuse to not call up a cell. Takes 10 seconds and the whole thing could have been avoided

Originally posted by BigMass
    In this day and age no excuse to not call up a cell. Takes 10 seconds and the whole thing could have been avoided
    Also would have taken 10 seconds to add the appointment to the cellphone calendar so it reminds you. All hindsight at the moment, where the only issue was a little inconvenience on both sides.

My Ride
    AECO

Originally posted by FraserB
    ^ I don't think you understand. It's ATCO's job to chase their customers all over the place to make sure they are home at the appointment time. If a customer is not there, the dirty tradesman should be waiting for the homeowner to show up and be glad they even have a job at all. Expecting people to keep track of their own appointments is nonsense.
    Believe me, I understand. It's just we have differing opinions.

The ATCO crew that went to OP's house interpreted not being home at appointment time as non cooperation, so they exercised their power as the utility owner per the legislation to complete the meter move since that was what was scheduled and their probably would have been significant cost to deviate from the plan for that day. If they accommodated every person that didn't take their appointment seriously, would you be prepared to pay a higher gas bill?

OP even stated that he just said ya, ya, anyday is fine, type of thing, and sometimes these things happen when you have that kind of attitude. The ATCO tradesman probably even thought it would be funny. I agree a phone call could have solved everything, but would it have been as good of a lesson not to fuck with the gas company? What if they phoned OP and he said I'm not around and please don't work in my yard without me present, and had to go home early? I mean what are you really going to do? See how many people are going to disconnect from a complaint on an internet forum?

Having been in a similar line of work, we do not enjoy people who don't take their appointments seriously. I've personally lost $1000's of gas/time/admin work/lost revenue and then there are the statistics that incomplete jobs affect which can literally make or break companies.

Hope all you on beyond can see the other side of the coin.

My Ride

Originally posted by stillworking

Believe me, I understand. It's just we have differing opinions.

The ATCO crew that went to OP's house interpreted not being home at appointment time as non cooperation, so they exercised their power as the utility owner per the legislation to complete the meter move since that was what was scheduled and their probably would have been significant cost to deviate from the plan for that day. If they accommodated every person that didn't take their appointment seriously, would you be prepared to pay a higher gas bill?

OP even stated that he just said ya, ya, anyday is fine, type of thing, and sometimes these things happen when you have that kind of attitude. The ATCO tradesman probably even thought it would be funny. I agree a phone call could have solved everything, but would it have been as good of a lesson not to fuck with the gas company? What if they phoned OP and he said I'm not around and please don't work in my yard without me present, and had to go home early? I mean what are you really going to do? See how many people are going to disconnect from a complaint on an internet forum?

Having been in a similar line of work, we do not enjoy people who don't take their appointments seriously. I've personally lost $1000's of gas/time/admin work/lost revenue and then there are the statistics that incomplete jobs affect which can literally make or break companies.

Hope all you on beyond can see the other side of the coin.
    he was being sarcastic an insinuating that i have no respect for trades workers or something for some reason?

Look, when it comes down to it, ya my rant was maybe a bit heated, but anyone would have been angry in my position.

Yes it was a bad move on my part to forget about the meter move, i'll never deny it. trust me, i am the last person who wants to put anyone out or screw them over for work.

But to entirely cap me off from gas, with no call or notification? come on. level with me here, thats pretty drastic. And then i call, and they tell me to just re light my appliances? No one has a clue whats even happening until i tell them? did they just plan on leaving it forever? lol

Look, i'm not crazy for having been mad about this. at all. Arguing about it on here is ridiculous because half of the dick bags on here will just play devils advocate to get a kick out of reading there own replies.

Anyone in my situation would have been mad. In this day and age it is not hard to get a hold of your client when you are performing work for them, is it?

at this point it is what it is. like i said, the weekend guy was great and got me a meter in as soon as he could. He was a really nice guy and just wanted to make things right. Kudos to him.