Quantcast
Hot tub shopping.. sort of like car shopping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot tub shopping.. sort of like car shopping

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Hot tub shopping.. sort of like car shopping

Looking to buy a hot tub, some stores are better than others. I'm a little foggy on which brands are the ones to go with. I'm also looking for a good deal like most of us.

My price range is the 8 - 10K range but if I can get a 10K tub for 6 grand I won't shy away from that. Looking for a 7x7 with a lounger.

thanks guys

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

We are currently rebuilding Jacuzzi Calgary's website and they seem to have good tubs

My Ride
    '18 Murano

We're on our second Arctic Spa from Paradise Bay. We're happy with it. the first one developed blisters in the shell after a few years, and was replaced ( the entire tub) under warranty.
    It took a while to get it done, at times Paradise Bay seemed to be stalling, but a call directly to Arctic seemed to remedy that. Other than that, it's been great, and I can't really say anything bad about Paradise Bay, other than the delays in the replacement.

I'd recommend Arctic or Jacuzzi. I've been buying my supplies from Jacuzzi lately, and the staff these seem friendly and knowledgeable,

If you have the option, make sure you get a premium cover that has the styrofoam sealed in a poly bag. Over time the stock covers absorb water and get much heavier, and have less R value.

Ours got so heavy, that wrestling with it pulled the lifter screws out of the side of the tub.
    We replaced it, with one from Hottubcoverscanada.ca, and I gave the old one away on Freecycle, assuming someone could take out the styrofoam and dry it. It was all 2 of us could do to schlep it out to his van. Really friggin heavy.

The new one seems light as a feather.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Arctic @ Paradise are open cases so you can get at everything. Most of the others are foam injected. You don't want to be digging that shit out looking for a leak. They will say the foam holds the pipes better - bullshit, you just don't want to see how gross that rats nest looks after 5 years.

I bought an 8x8 Arctic at our old house 10+ years ago, and when we moved to the new place I checked out the range again. Ended up with another Arctic (same model) but diff color/case/motor. Only repair was a mainboard after 5+ years for a few hundred.

And if you don't get stupid with options you can get a dual motor, light lid/lifter for under 7K.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

I have a Jacuzzi. Other good brand is Beachcomber. They sell them at Costco now. There's also Maax from rnrhottubs.com

My Ride
    2014 GLK350, 2013 GL550, 07 SL65AMG, 2013 f-150

I have a Beachcomber at home and have had zero problems. Use it 3-4 times a week. We kept this hot tub very simple because we have sound, tv and lighting on our patio. It has required no repairs or parts.

My cabin has a Jacuzzi and I am replacing broken buttons and pillows all the time. We have guests who are careless when we are entertaining and parts will break off.

The parts that break from day to day use for me are always the little luxury pieces - pillows, waterfall that pops out, turn knobs, tv.

My advice is keep it simple. The more options you add the more chance of things breaking. If you have sound and mood lighting on your patio already why add it. The Beachcomber we choose is very simple but super solid. It's just a nice shell (with lounger) and more than enough jets. I'm really happy with it.

Also keep in mind it does require regular maintenance. If you get lazy your water will quickly start to turn. If you travel/busy you may want to source a hot tub/pool guy. Our hot tub maintenance guy we use does our pool and hot tub every week for $375. Trevi pools is who we hired.

Broken buttons? My Jacuzzi has membranes and switches. No buttons.

Hot tub stores are like shady used car dealerships lol. Everything is on sale or blowout 100% of time, and they switch locations all the time.

We shopped around for months and bought an Artesian spa almost 10 years ago. Still works perfectly except for some cushions that need replacing due to the chlorine finally getting to them. It's foam filled, but everything is completely accessible still. Also the pumps are all switchless so there are are fewer things to break - not sure if that's a big deal anymore.

One thing I can tell you for sure, is that hot tubs are not worth anywhere near what you pay for them haha.

Again, not sure if it's still this way, but what turned us off Beachcomber other than seating plans was them storing the pumps and everything under the stairs rather than in the tub.

Our decision was mostly based on build quality, warranty, and size/seating plan. Hot Spring was going to be our second choice. We didn't want a tub which wasted an entire side on a lounger chair, and at the time that was very hard to find.

Since no tub is that good, if I did it again I'd probably just buy one for $5 or 6K at Costco instead of $10+.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-08-2014 at 09:32 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    they switch locations all the time.
    Ehhh, not really. I live by the "the hot tub district" (Center St. SE, just off Glenmore)

World of Spas changes it's name every few years, but it's the same owner (and I couldn't get the slime off me quick enough after talking to him). Jacuzzi has been there for over a decade, Paradise Bay was there that long as well, and only moved recently. SML (beachcomber tubs), has been in the general area for a long time as well.

You are right though, 99% of them are as greasy as a used car dealership. They even do the "Ohhh, I'll have to talk to my boss about THAT price" type stuff and disappear for 15 minutes. They're all super overpriced as well.

From my experiences:

-World of Spas - SCUMMY. BEWARE. DANGER. Easily the sleaziest place I went to. The owner promised to rig a contest for me if I bought a hot tub right then, that day

-Jacuzzi - the hot tubs are wicked nice (the JLX is probably the nicest looking tub out there IMO), but you aren't going to get much for $10g, they are higher end.

- SML - Beachcomber tubs are good, personally I like the under step design, my father in law used to sell them (like 20+ years ago though), the Manager was his partner, and definitely on the shady side (only from what my F.I.L has told me), but the products are good. Unfortunately they are also priced high.

- Paradise Bay - The least sleazy feeling. Sells both Artic Spa and Clearwater. Artic Spa seems mid-range quality, and priced similarily. Clearwater is more lower-mid range, but lots of bells and whistles for the same price as a Arctic Spa.

There were various other places I went, but nothing blew my mind or seemed notable about any of them.

I personally bought a Clearwater from Paradise Bay, it's been pretty good to us in 2 years of ownership. I liked the bells and whistles, lol. 7.5' x 7.5' tub, LED package, waterfall, stereo, and salt-water system for $12g (oh and my favorite feature, a removable table in the middle, which was the selling point for me, very useful)

We had a heater crap out the first winter, but they were really quick to get out and replace it (like next day, before the water temp even dropped 10*F), and it turned out the factory installed heater was the wrong one for the tub (3500 watts VS 5500 watts it should have been), so it was just being overloaded for such a big tub. Haven't had any problems since then.

Things to keep in mind while looking:

A) Salt water system. MUCH more stable than chlorine, uses way less chemicals, and you don't stink like a swimming pool. Sometimes we'll go weeks without even looking at it, and the water quality is exactly as the last time we got out.

B) Stereo system, extremely overpriced for what they are. If you're planning on putting it in an enclosure of any kind, don't even bother, build your own system into the enclosure. With my built in stereo, there were two pop-up speakers in the corners, with the music playing, anyone in those seats couldn't hear anyone else over the sound.

When I built a pergola around it, I disabled those speakers, and installed 4 new ones hidden in the pergola, so the sound comes down, and doesn't blast anyone's ear. The sub-woofer is still in the hot tub though.

C) Foam filled VS Open inulation. I like the open air, you can access everything if you need to (which I did while modifying the stereo system). You'll use more energy to keep the tub hot, but I'd rather have it that way, then to have to dig through foam if something happens. Now that I'm approaching off-warranty status, I'll be able to fix anything myself, easily.

D) Side-top surface area. This one you might not think of when buying a tub, but it was a big one with me, after experiencing friends hot tubs. A lot of people (girls) get too hot in the tub, but don't want to get out, and typically there's only one "cooling seat" (sits higher than the rest). If you buy a tub with the sides being flat, people can sit up there, with just their feet dangling in. Jacuzzi is terrible for making their sides pointed, so you CAN'T sit up there, and most of them are even slanted, which still makes it uncomfortable for more than a couple of minutes.

E) SIT IN THE TUB BEFORE YOU BUY. I was set on a certain model, as it looked great on paper, but as soon as I sat in it I realized it wasn't for me, 1/2 the seats weren't comfortable, and the water level only went half way up my torso. The one I ended up buying is nice and deep, and the water goes up to my neck in the lowest seat.

F) You aren't going to find anything you like for less than $12g. At least that was my experience, even the one I bought was priced at $14.5k (shows you how much you can haggle down). Your best hope for your price range will be from Costco. I've heard decent things about them, however you can't look at it and sit in it in person first, which sucks, because that's something you really need to do first.

Edit: I forgot about

G) Lounger. while it's obviously personal preference, every lounger I tried, all it does it lift you up when the jets are on, and you have to keep yourself in position with force, or else you just float. I don't like them myself.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-08-2014 at 10:24 AM.

A) Salt water system.
    Psst... "Salt" is chlorine...

The bare minimum you need to do for maintenance is keep pH adjusted (very easy to do), put in chlorine every week, and change out water every few months.

My Ride

Originally posted by suntan
    Psst... "Salt" is chlorine...
    I know what it is, but they advertise the Bromine systems (non-chlorine) as "salt water system". You also don't have to change the water that often using bromine. I went over a year last time, and the water was still great until a shitload of beer got spilled in it .
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-08-2014 at 10:22 AM.

I have an arctic spas tub running year round and it gives me very few issues.
    I also put in a Ionizer that virtually eliminates the need for any chemicals. http://www.almostheaven.net/aho/ionizers.htm

Found while shopping Arctic seemed to be the best made and was one of the only ones that wouldn't void the tub warranty with the addition of the ionizer, the arctic spas tech even installed it for me.

Bromine is overrated. You need to use more bromine than chlorine, and you smell like bromine instead of chlorine when you come out. It's not like it's scentless.

We used an Enzyme system. Still use chlorine, but like 3 tiny spoon fulls every now and then. Very low maintenance, but I'm sure salt water is better. The only salt systems available when we bought were for pools - I imagine it's come a long way.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

F) You aren't going to find anything you like for less than $12g. At least that was my experience, even the one I bought was priced at $14.5k (shows you how much you can haggle down). Your best hope for your price range will be from Costco. I've heard decent things about them, however you can't look at it and sit in it in person first, which sucks, because that's something you really need to do first.

Edit: I forgot about

G) Lounger. while it's obviously personal preference, every lounger I tried, all it does it lift you up when the jets are on, and you have to keep yourself in position with force, or else you just float. I don't like them myself.
    I got my 8 x 8, 2 pump Arctic with base, lid, lifter, stairs for 9K (just looked at the quote).

Agree with the lounger - looks nice on paper, but don't like them. Model we got was the Alaskan which is just 8 seats, flat edges too.

Also forgot - you'll need an electrician to wire it, and you might as well do it right with the legal permit and outdoor GFCI breaker. Permit is important for when you sell the house or if there's an insurance issue.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride

Originally posted by suntan
    Bromine is overrated. You need to use more bromine than chlorine, and you smell like bromine instead of chlorine when you come out. It's not like it's scentless.
    I wouldn't call it over-rated. Over priced, probably. It's not scentless, but it's less offensive IMO. I typically get out of the tub and go straight to bed, no need for a post tub shower. Next day, no scent at all. Can't say the same for any chlorine tub I've been in.

You're just nose blind

outdoor GFCI breaker
    The GFCI goes inside now.

with the issues I've seen with my neighbor's swimspa... I'm tempted with just going for a Softub...

My parents had one and we had no issues... and I belive service and parts are fairly simple... then again its very simple.

Not sure if the 110v can get the water as hot as quickly as a 220 spa would

My Ride

The problem is a lot of 110v systems cant run the heater and jets at the same time. Make sure you check on that before you purchas
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Anyone looked into the Costco tubs?

Seems like great prices, but are they made on the cheap to reach low price points?

Or is it just Costco buying power able to lower prices by their volume of sales?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast