Quantcast
Car Trailers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Car Trailers?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Car Trailers?

Hoping to pick up a GMT800 1500HD over winter spring this year to tow a car trailer. I would ideally like to tow two cars on one trailer. Total length of both cars is just under 25 feet, and total weight is just over 4000lbs. Max tow capacity of the trucks I am looking at is 10300lbs. What do you guys thing the average weight of a 25-30 foot flat deck trailer is? Do I have a chance of finding a tow bar style trailer or will I be confined to a gooseneck?

Thanks

Goosenecks are going to be more popular in the 24'+ car haulers. 30' flat will probably be around 4300lbs. Are they track cars or something? 4000lbs for 2 cars is light.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Goosenecks are going to be more popular in the 24'+ car haulers. 30' flat will probably be around 4300lbs. Are they track cars or something? 4000lbs for 2 cars is light.
    Track/street cars, getting kind of tired of driving mine to events and know someone else that feels the same way, as well as looking at some events much further away next year (for me at least)

I think most will agree to gooseneck it if you can. 1 car is fine with bumper pull, 2 cars - gooseneck.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

That's going to be a long trailer, especially when considering the tongue/neck. I did find some pretty good deals on 30 foot bumper pull enclosed trailers when I was looking. I don't think bumper pull flat decks over 20 feet are very common...at least not that I found. The enclosed 30 footers were $10-16k and big flat decks were $6-10k...as far as I can remember.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Ahem...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/...sell/592694005

I am looking to sell my enclosed car hauler that I no longer use. It is a Freightliner that was used by a race team to haul 7 cars at a time(Miata's). The truck houls 3 cars and the the trailer houls 4 cars. Both the truck and trailer have hydraulic lifts in them. It has a 60 series detroit diesel with 10 speed trans. The cab has a single sleeper and is in good shape. The truck has new batteries and starts and runs very good. The front tires are about 80% and that rears are all different. It is air ride and air brakes. The track and trailer were both safetied in 2012 and it has not been used since, so it should not take much to safety. If you are interested in this truck please e-mail me or phone me ......Thanks for looking. TRADES on interesting stuff. 18000 OBO

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by never
    That's going to be a long trailer, especially when considering the tongue/neck. I did find some pretty good deals on 30 foot bumper pull enclosed trailers when I was looking. I don't think bumper pull flat decks over 20 feet are very common...at least not that I found. The enclosed 30 footers were $10-16k and big flat decks were $6-10k...as far as I can remember.
    Greater than 20' bumper pulls are readily available everywhere... except here, because #berta

You are WAY underestimating car weights IMO, plus you also aren't factoring in parts/human bodies (which directly take away from towing capacity).

Lets say on average, even if "just a race car", you are looking at 2500lbs each. So 5k lbs for just cars.

If you are hauling two cars, you probably have two humans in the truck, plus their shit. 500lbs.

A 18' bumper pull trailer, 4" c channel (which is SUPER light duty) weighs AT MINIMUM 2000lbs. And that is THE lightest steel trailer you can buy. In Alberta, because #bertaoilpatch, you won't find a 18' trailer weighing less than 2600lbs. A trailer long enough to carry 2 cars is going to weigh a MINIMUM of 4000lbs, more like 4500.

And I just blew up your tow rating with 0 extra capacity.

In short, if you are serious about your plan, get a used diesel. You'll appreciate the mpg while towing (15usmpg I would bet on the highway versus 10usmpg you'd get with a gas truck and that sort of load) and you'll be able to comfortably tow more weight. Putting aside anything else, a diesel will tow better and give you a larger capacity. Buying used gets rid of depreciation hits, and the diesel will have a better resale even if it has tons of mileage, whereas the gassers resale will tank after 250,000kms.

Older cummins are dirt cheap (96+). They will easily do what you need them to, especially once you throw a tune at it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Greater than 20' bumper pulls are readily available everywhere... except here, because #berta

You are WAY underestimating car weights IMO, plus you also aren't factoring in parts/human bodies (which directly take away from towing capacity).

Lets say on average, even if "just a race car", you are looking at 2500lbs each. So 5k lbs for just cars.

If you are hauling two cars, you probably have two humans in the truck, plus their shit. 500lbs.

A 18' bumper pull trailer, 4" c channel (which is SUPER light duty) weighs AT MINIMUM 2000lbs. And that is THE lightest steel trailer you can buy. In Alberta, because #bertaoilpatch, you won't find a 18' trailer weighing less than 2600lbs. A trailer long enough to carry 2 cars is going to weigh a MINIMUM of 4000lbs, more like 4500.

And I just blew up your tow rating with 0 extra capacity.

In short, if you are serious about your plan, get a used diesel. You'll appreciate the mpg while towing (15usmpg I would bet on the highway versus 10usmpg you'd get with a gas truck and that sort of load) and you'll be able to comfortably tow more weight. Putting aside anything else, a diesel will tow better and give you a larger capacity. Buying used gets rid of depreciation hits, and the diesel will have a better resale even if it has tons of mileage, whereas the gassers resale will tank after 250,000kms.

Older cummins are dirt cheap (96+). They will easily do what you need them to, especially once you throw a tune at it.
    Thanks but I am not underestimated the car weights, I know exactly what they are. I also found a 26 foot deck aluminum trailer that will hold two cars and weighs under 3000lbs apparently.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Nevermind I just bought another Subaru so I wont be buying a truck and trailer next year after all...

My Ride
    G37X

^Holy wheeler-dealer batman!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    ^Holy wheeler-dealer batman!
    I have a serious problem, you have no idea...

My Ride
    G37X

^No I have a pretty good idea lol..I cant believe your selling the BRZ already!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    ^No I have a pretty good idea lol..I cant believe your selling the BRZ already!
    No no that's not actually for sale. I also have the Laggin Wagon right now and I sold my Miata last week. Picking up another Subaru tomorrow...

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Sentry
    Ahem...

this is worth getting a class 1 for :P

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I bought a half-finished racecar today. If I had a wife I'd expect to be wearing cement shoes at the bottom of a lake, but I don't so, weeeeeeee.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I bought a half-finished racecar today. If I had a wife I'd expect to be wearing cement shoes at the bottom of a lake, but I don't so, weeeeeeee.
    My girlfriend (pretty much a Subaru hater) just tells me I'm terrible and goes out and buys shoes and clothes.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I also found a 26 foot deck aluminum trailer that will hold two cars and weighs under 3000lbs apparently.
    What do you guys thing the average weight of a 25-30 foot flat deck trailer is?
    I told you the average weight of a 25-30 foot flat deck trailer. Nowhere did you mention aluminum

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Ahem...

Holy, that's a deal! Especially if one needed to buy a truck anyway!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I told you the average weight of a 25-30 foot flat deck trailer. Nowhere did you mention aluminum
    I didn't even know you could get aluminum ones that big...

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

They even make them 50 ft long in aluminum......and pulled by those things they call a "semi"

Aluminum trailers are nice but usually expensive.