Quantcast
Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by heavyfuel

Doesn't matter what the base is made of when you hit a rock hard enough
    well, dont hit rocks!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yes and no, the board definitely can make a difference. I've had a few cheaper/low end boards and last year at Marmot K2 was having a demo day. Give them license/board and they'll let you take a brand new board out for a few runs.

It was night and day difference for some boards. The first I tried just didn't feel right to me, didn't enjoy it and kind of didn't get it. But then the second board I got was so much more playful and enjoyable to ride. It took almost no energy to bomb around and was so much more enjoyable. Third board was middle of the pack, better than mine, but worse than the second, still lots of fun.

Originally posted by ercchry

well, dont hit rocks!
    Always the plan once coverage is decent and the rock gear put away. But often easier said than done when you're givin' er.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Always the plan once coverage is decent and the rock gear put away. But often easier said than done when you're givin' er.
    yeah i went through a few decks really quickly when i kept having just the worst luck with dropping onto rocks off little drops, cracked sidewall every time

i find if i keep my trips to louise to a minimum my boards stay fresh a lot longer, dunno what it is about that place but i cant leave there without hitting something

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Yes and no, the board definitely can make a difference. I've had a few cheaper/low end boards and last year at Marmot K2 was having a demo day. Give them license/board and they'll let you take a brand new board out for a few runs.

It was night and day difference for some boards. The first I tried just didn't feel right to me, didn't enjoy it and kind of didn't get it. But then the second board I got was so much more playful and enjoyable to ride. It took almost no energy to bomb around and was so much more enjoyable. Third board was middle of the pack, better than mine, but worse than the second, still lots of fun.
    The differences are minor at best and usually tied to the intended purpose of the boards. Park decks especially for jibbing will feel squirely at speed and vice versa all mountain decks will feel stiff as a board and useless on jibs. Doesn't mean you still can't make it work though. You can jib with just about any board and you can ride all mountain with a park board all day long.

Too many people get all hung on on having the perfect board for activity X and don't seem to get it's mostly rider skill. People just have to ride more and stop getting hung on on board choices.

Heres a guy killing it in the park with a massive powder deck:
    http://vimeo.com/92295301

My Ride
    2010 S4

As someone who's worked in a shop and had the chance to ride a ton of boards at shop only demo days I can assure you not all boards are created equal. Yes you can ride any board anywhere and a good board isn't magically going to make you a better rider but so a boards do things better than then others. For example my 159 pipe board is an unforgiving bitch on rails, that doesn't mean I can't ride rails on it's just waaaaay more fun on my softer park board.

Another thing are you guys crazy? How on earth are bindings any wear near the top of the list they all share the same basic design and for the most part you could throw any brands binders on and really notice no difference. Personally bindings would be the last thing on my list of things to worry about after everything else.

I gotta disagree too. If you're new to the sport then the board def doesn't matter and even a sport mart special will outlast you but once you get good you'll be able to tell the differences between a mediocre deck and a good deck. The bases will also make a huge difference in whether or not you're hiking the flats spots or cruising though
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Well ski hill updates.

Louise has a flat down dancefloor, a tower tube, and a narrow box. And then 3 runs open, wixwaxy, bald eagle, and easy street.

While sunshine is only opening strawberry. they haven't said what features will be in the park, but they have a big tower tube too being set up

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    Well ski hill updates.

Louise has a flat down dancefloor, a tower tube, and a narrow box. And then 3 runs open, wixwaxy, bald eagle, and easy street.

While sunshine is only opening strawberry. they haven't said what features will be in the park, but they have a big tower tube too being set up

Nakiska is opening also, up and down lift on olympic with riding off gold chair. Doesn't say how much terrain just that it will be high intermediate to advanced with no beginner terrain

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by dubhead

Nakiska is opening also, up and down lift on olympic with riding off gold chair. Doesn't say how much terrain just that it will be high intermediate to advanced with no beginner terrain
    & a 38cm base. Don't think thats enough for advanced terrain. Also it may say advanced only, but beginners usually show up.

Originally posted by CivicTunr

& a 38cm base. Don't think thats enough for advanced terrain. Also it may say advanced only, but beginners usually show up.
    They should almost have a rule where they revoke your ticket(but give you a pass for another time)if they find out you're a beginner on the first weeks of opening day. You put yourself and others at a huge risk because theres just not enough space on 1 run to learn

My Ride
    TDI

Advanced because you gotta be able to dodge the rough patches/rocks. :P

My Ride
    2010 S4

Quick glance at who makes your favourite brand and up until a couple years ago Capita MFG was Élan snowboard manufactures but they declared bankruptcy and were bought by Capita

Originally posted by dubhead
    As someone who's worked in a shop and had the chance to ride a ton of boards at shop only demo days I can assure you not all boards are created equal. Yes you can ride any board anywhere and a good board isn't magically going to make you a better rider but so a boards do things better than then others. For example my 159 pipe board is an unforgiving bitch on rails, that doesn't mean I can't ride rails on it's just waaaaay more fun on my softer park board.

Another thing are you guys crazy? How on earth are bindings any wear near the top of the list they all share the same basic design and for the most part you could throw any brands binders on and really notice no difference. Personally bindings would be the last thing on my list of things to worry about after everything else.
    This. Board before bindings.

Boards didn't really matter 15 years ago when the only real difference was twin tip vs directional and flex. You had to learn on whatever you had and you made it work. Boards these days are noticeably different with the huge range of combinations of flex, camber, width, sidecut profile, etc etc. While I agree that you'll make whatever you're riding work, a different board can make your day a lot more enjoyable, especially if you're learning.

For example my wife has improved by leaps and bounds since switching her to a slightly rockered board because it's given her the confidence that she's not going to catch an edge when carving at speed. Meanwhile my latest is a softer, hybrid rocker that's awesome for jibs and butters. It still doesn't feel as solid as my traditional camber, stiffer all mountain board when bombing down the mountain trying to dodge the moving pylons but it's a good compromise compared to an all out park board.

If you don't think the board makes a difference, check out a demo day and ride a few back to back. The biggest problem now is there's so many options. Trying to find a board that feels like it has everything you like takes forever (and switching between park/mountain boards throughout the day isn't something I consider reasonable anymore).

Of course the rider makes the biggest difference, but after that:

1. Boots
    2. Board
    3. Bindings

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

This. Board before bindings.

Boards didn't really matter 15 years ago when the only real difference was twin tip vs directional and flex. You had to learn on whatever you had and you made it work. Boards these days are noticeably different with the huge range of combinations of flex, camber, width, sidecut profile, etc etc. While I agree that you'll make whatever you're riding work, a different board can make your day a lot more enjoyable, especially if you're learning.

For example my wife has improved by leaps and bounds since switching her to a slightly rockered board because it's given her the confidence that she's not going to catch an edge when carving at speed. Meanwhile my latest is a softer, hybrid rocker that's awesome for jibs and butters. It still doesn't feel as solid as my traditional camber, stiffer all mountain board when bombing down the mountain trying to dodge the moving pylons but it's a good compromise compared to an all out park board.

If you don't think the board makes a difference, check out a demo day and ride a few back to back. The biggest problem now is there's so many options. Trying to find a board that feels like it has everything you like takes forever (and switching between park/mountain boards throughout the day isn't something I consider reasonable anymore).

Of course the rider makes the biggest difference, but after that:

1. Boots
    2. Board
    3. Bindings
    Yeah my sister ride one of my hold boards for awhile which fine for her, then this year got a women's specific board and had a way better time on it even though she stuck with the old name bindings on it.

And like you said a beginner is going to have way better time on something forgiving then some old stiff as hell freeride handmedown.

My Ride
    impreza

Canadian Paralympian and X-gamer Josh Dueck retired today. First person to do a back flip in a sit-ski.

Back flip at 0:40sec mark.

Fuck yesssssss just got back from my 6 month follow up with the surgeon in Banff. He said my strength and mobility at 6 months is almost unheard of. Tibia 100% healed, ACL rock solid. SO, cleared immediately for running, and rollerblading, (taking it easy at first of course) and cleared for skiing and boarding without a brace, in March! Just in time for the pow!

My Ride
    996TT

Anybody hit up the wiwaxi 500 today?

My Ride
    Lariat

Fuck yesssssss just got back from my 6 month follow up with the surgeon in Banff. He said my strength and mobility at 6 months is almost unheard of. Tibia 100% healed, ACL rock solid. SO, cleared immediately for running, and rollerblading, (taking it easy at first of course) and cleared for skiing and boarding without a brace, in March! Just in time for the pow!
    nice! always feels good to get the thumbs up after surgery!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by Ek9Max
    Anybody hit up the wiwaxi 500 today?
    Going tomorrow, was at sunshine today. Pretty good, fresh lines, cliff drops, and some park. Only downside was the really long strawberry chairlift line, and the really short runs.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast