Quantcast
Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Roads are really bad i heard, friend didnt have fun driving to sunshine.

My Ride
    EG6

A friend bailed of tomorrow s powder day. I have one corporate pass if anyone wants to join. You will have to ride with me due to the pass but if you can run close to terminal velocity than you are welcome to join. (Prefer someone around my age 30)
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I won't be leaving till 6 so I won't have much info guys lol.

My Ride
    EG6

I should mention this is a FREE day pass I'm offering.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Cold as hell here in Revy. Roads out weren't bad, 5 hours 15 minutes drive for me.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Cold as hell here in Revy. Roads out weren't bad, 5 hours 15 minutes drive for me.
    5;15 isn't bad at all.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    EG6

What causes the snow to grip soo much in the cold? I waxed last night with -20 and colder wax but at the hill everyone was having a hard time moving down. Once the sun came out it was back to mach 1 speeds in the powder. Either way is is sick out here at Sunshine.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
    What causes the snow to grip soo much in the cold? I waxed last night with -20 and colder wax but at the hill everyone was having a hard time moving down. Once the sun came out it was back to mach 1 speeds in the powder. Either way is is sick out here at Sunshine.
    Skis don't work that much differently from skates in terms of what makes them fast: compress the snow, make a thin layer of water and make sure the surface tension of the water stays broken. The correct wax (for snow temperature, NOT air temperature) helps but it is very important to also have a good base structure for the snow temperature and age and type. The pattern itself isn't so much important for recreational skiers but having a visible pattern is important. Same reason why you should brush your skis after waxing, make sure that structure is doing its job.

My Ride
    impreza

If anyone missed out on cheap Nakiska passes, they are doing $10 lift tickets for National Ski Day, this Sat Dec 6th.

Here is the voucher: http://www.alpinecanada.org/sites/de...oucher_eng.pdf

My Ride
    rally pig

went to nakiska yesterday, i forgot how much i hate their courses, 2-3 flat spots, but also forgot how much fun the glades can be

had very early breakfast and very low energy by noon, almost passed while going through the glades, the moment I saw the upper lodge, i immediately ran and ordered some food

a little chilly in the morning but by noon weather was perfect

Any input on skis? Going back after 15 years boarding. Bought boots and rented for 7 days last year, loved it so I'm getting skis this year.

Look at all mountain, fairly aggressive setup. The shop here recommended Nordica Steadfasts, with bindings for $749. Sound reasonable?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Had a roof rack failure on the highway home yesterday, almost lost four people's worth of gear and a $1000 roof box

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    Any input on skis? Going back after 15 years boarding. Bought boots and rented for 7 days last year, loved it so I'm getting skis this year.

Look at all mountain, fairly aggressive setup. The shop here recommended Nordica Steadfasts, with bindings for $749. Sound reasonable?
    I own the hell and back, i really like it. If its a 1 ski quiver i would honestly move to a 98mm-100mm; so dont look at the steadfast look at the hell and back. That wider profile will allow you to float better in the powderr without sacrificing on the groomers.

I really like the volkl bridge, it does everything nicely. I would call it a one ski quiver; however its a full rockered ski and some people dont like the feel of that.. A couple skis with some camber and ski similar to the bridge are the Nordica Soul Rider or the Blizzard Peace maker.

My Ride
    EG6

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Had a roof rack failure on the highway home yesterday, almost lost four people's worth of gear and a $1000 roof box
    We had a car in front of us blow the front on a double clamp style roof rack and spat 8 skis across the highway. Craziest shit I have ever had to deal with on a ski day.

Originally posted by CivicTunr

I own the hell and back, i really like it. If its a 1 ski quiver i would honestly move to a 98mm-100mm; so dont look at the steadfast look at the hell and back. That wider profile will allow you to float better in the powderr without sacrificing on the groomers.

I really like the volkl bridge, it does everything nicely. I would call it a one ski quiver; however its a full rockered ski and some people dont like the feel of that.. A couple skis with some camber and ski similar to the bridge are the Nordica Soul Rider or the Blizzard Peace maker.
    Appreciate it!

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by taemo
    went to nakiska yesterday, i forgot how much i hate their courses, 2-3 flat spots, but also forgot how much fun the glades can be

had very early breakfast and very low energy by noon, almost passed while going through the glades, the moment I saw the upper lodge, i immediately ran and ordered some food

a little chilly in the morning but by noon weather was perfect
    Exactly my experience on Sunday. Day one on el cheapo season pass. Wish my legs were in better shape, would have spent all day in the Glades.

Getting down to the bottom there was almost too much snow for how not steep it is in there. Could barely keep moving in all the pow!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'

We had a car in front of us blow the front on a double clamp style roof rack and spat 8 skis across the highway. Craziest shit I have ever had to deal with on a ski day.
    Yeah I love running around on the highway trying to pick up pieces.

I have a nice dent in the roof of my car now too.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Any suggestions on good roof racks? I want one for the Fiesta. Kinda cramped with a snowboard in if I try to go with other peoples

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Any suggestions on good roof racks? I want one for the Fiesta. Kinda cramped with a snowboard in if I try to go with other peoples
    I have Whispbars on mine. Barely affects your MPG and doesn't whistle on the highway.

It's the Thule box that kills it.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I snagged a Thule Aeroblade Edge kit for my wagon off Kijiji for $100. Keep your eyes on there - deals can be had. These babies are $500 new!

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast