Quantcast
Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

Default Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

Well with the newly fallen snow I figured it may be time to get this thread going!!

I may actually go tour up Highwood pass after work today as long as the highways are not in too rough shape!

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm browsing around for cheap gear. Recommendations?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I haven't been out much in the last couple years, life and kiddies have gotten in the way. Need a new pair of pants. Thinking the MEC Trackback pants. Decent price-point, and MEG gear has done well for me in the past. Not liekly to find any deals on pants at thsi time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Empire has some season old stuff for good price, slim picking for sizes though.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

check levelninesports online, awesome prices and great shipping rates. Good deals on everything too.

Also debating getting a pass to either sunshine or louise. Louise is suppose to open 7 days earlier. Nov 7 vs Nov 14. So one will get the long weekend and one wont.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    check levelninesports online, awesome prices and great shipping rates. Good deals on everything too.

Also debating getting a pass to either sunshine or louise. Louise is suppose to open 7 days earlier. Nov 7 vs Nov 14. So one will get the long weekend and one wont.
    Both resorts are so much fun. I just find Louise to be further out so that could be your dealbreaker?

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by flipstah

Both resorts are so much fun. I just find Louise to be further out so that could be your dealbreaker?
    While sunshine's parking lot is closer, the actual time to skiing is very close. The gondola takes about 20 minutes, and the drive to louise is 25 extra.

As well i am focusing more on the BC mountains, as my goal is to ski all of them this year. So i will be making a trip to mount washington, whistler, silver star, apex, sun peaks, big white, white water, and red mountain this year. And with being in school, i dont know if i have time to ski louise/sunshine enough to make a pass worth while.

Also a pass doesn't pay for it's self until about 11 times at that mountain. So 2 louise cards, or 2 sunshine cards might be the better idea.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One Louise Card and One Sunshine card, get some epic variety going
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lariat

Getting a Louise pass again this year. I find most days at Shine end up being white out so the best places to ski are below tree line which pretty much takes lookout mountain (angel and divide chairs) out of the picture.

Also the drive time is the same, for shine you have a 5-10 minute drive up the road followed by a 20 minute gondola ride. I find I actually put skis to snow faster with Louise than I do shine.

Also the park is way better at Louise as well.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2010 S4

While sunshine's parking lot is closer, the actual time to skiing is very close. The gondola takes about 20 minutes, and the drive to louise is 25 extra.

This... Plus I've always found Louise to be the better Mountain. It seems like everyone who says Sunshine is better justs ends up sitting in trappers when they take me out.

As for Season going for an RCR superpass this year.

If I were to get a pass I would get Sunshine for Deleriuum and Wild West.

But I'd rather ski a variety of mountains and go touring a lot. So no pass this year!

My Ride
    TDI

As well i am focusing more on the BC mountains, as my goal is to ski all of them this year. So i will be making a trip to mount washington, whistler, silver star, apex, sun peaks, big white, white water, and red mountain this year.
    I did a tour of Fernie, Red Mountain, Apex, Big White, and Revy last year. It was awesome - except Fernie - hadn't snowed in 2 weeks.

Also, if you're on the island, check if Mt. Cain has snow. The time I went was the best day I've ever had. But I read they didn't get much snow last year. It's a tiny little hill on the north part of the island with 2 T-bars but it's only open on the weekend so the snow from the week piles up. I think we were skiing a metre of pow and it snowed 45cm during the day when we were there.
    Last edited by megavolt; 09-11-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Sitting this one out until Spring, if the surgeon gives me the go ahead. Finally got my ACL fixed in May along with a high-tibial-osteonomy, so with this new hardware in my leg I can't give 'er right away. Recovery/training's going great tho and focused on dropping down to 220 so I'm pretty confident I can get 10-20 days in by Spring. Doc said no running till November but I did a few laps at Talisman the other day and it didn't feel bad at all. I'm way ahead of the game as far as recovery is concerned. It'll be worth every second of this wait once I can burn it down without the knee brace!

The first 7 days they are open is the wiwaxy 500. You might as well just go to COP at that rate. At least when sunshine opens it's not just the one run with fake snow.

No pass for me this year other than COP because no one else has a pipe. Otherwise the plan is to chase the powder. Default goto mountain is sunshine though because it has consistently good snow no matter what. I find louise is too dicey when it comes to snowpack it's either good or it feels like COP.

Park wise I still think COP does a better job than most mountains.

Not my photo, from my friend the day before, but up at highwod pass! Early season!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Sitting this one out until Spring, if the surgeon gives me the go ahead. Finally got my ACL fixed in May along with a high-tibial-osteonomy, so with this new hardware in my leg I can't give 'er right away. Recovery/training's going great tho and focused on dropping down to 220 so I'm pretty confident I can get 10-20 days in by Spring. Doc said no running till November but I did a few laps at Talisman the other day and it didn't feel bad at all. I'm way ahead of the game as far as recovery is concerned. It'll be worth every second of this wait once I can burn it down without the knee brace!
    I'm about 4 years post ACL reconstructio nand my knee feels great. It'll be sore for a while but it does get better.

Originally posted by dubhead

I'm about 4 years post ACL reconstructio nand my knee feels great. It'll be sore for a while but it does get better.
    Good to hear. How long until you rode again? And what % u figure you were at when you did?

My Ride
    2010 S4

Good to hear. How long until you rode again? And what % u figure you were at when you did?
    I had my surgery in June rode my first day that Dcember with a brace, Only had the brace for a month. Really for the first year back on snow just cruised around mostly and worked on switch riding(pretty much ambidextrous now as a result). but was doing some small jumps and screwing around a little more by that spring.

The following winter it was still off a bit but pretty much rode most anything I did before, exept big jumps but that's more personal choice over injury holding me back. I would say the 3rd season back was when it was really back and not even really a thought in my mind. Now it's more common for the other knee to be sore after a day of riding.

Personally I found my actual knee came back alot quicker than my hamstring they harvested the tendon from to make my new ACL. It took a long time to get full flexiblity back in and the weirdest tweaks would be very uncomfotable for awhile.

Originally posted by dubhead

I had my surgery in June rode my first day that Dcember with a brace, Only had the brace for a month. Really for the first year back on snow just cruised around mostly and worked on switch riding(pretty much ambidextrous now as a result). but was doing some small jumps and screwing around a little more by that spring.

The following winter it was still off a bit but pretty much rode most anything I did before, exept big jumps but that's more personal choice over injury holding me back. I would say the 3rd season back was when it was really back and not even really a thought in my mind. Now it's more common for the other knee to be sore after a day of riding.

Personally I found my actual knee came back alot quicker than my hamstring they harvested the tendon from to make my new ACL. It took a long time to get full flexiblity back in and the weirdest tweaks would be very uncomfotable for awhile.
    I was also told I could ride this season with a brace but I'd rather not. I hear ya on the hamstring and flexibility tho I'm working on that one daily. I don't really do much air but once recovered and down to 220 that will change lol thx for the info, really encouraging!

My Ride
    2010 S4

I was also told I could ride this season with a brace but I'd rather not. I hear ya on the hamstring and flexibility tho I'm working on that one daily. I don't really do much air but once recovered and down to 220 that will change lol thx for the info, really encouraging!

Losing weight will help too I was definitely on the bigger side when I hurt it and ended up gaing a fair amount of weight after it first happend from sitting around for a month or so waiting to find out exactly what happend to it.

When you do get back on the snow I found it helped a lot to focus on keeping my knees bent in a aggressive riding postion all the time. It really helps keep the knee from trying to pull one way or another and will keep your knee from tiring out so early.

I'm always looking to fill a seat or two in the winter we'll have to head out one day.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast