Quantcast
Microsoft buys Minecraft $2.5 Billion. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Microsoft buys Minecraft $2.5 Billion.

Watched some loser kid at a wedding I was at playing this game on his laptop in the corner. The game is terrible.

I had the same loyalty to BBM once. Went back to blackberry because everyone else had BBM and couldn't be bothered to text. This soon faded as blackberry's overall systems lagged.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    Time to buy the kid a cell phone. Kid wants the Minecraft cell phone. End of story.

I don't think the point is to hook the twenty-somethings who fight over Android vs iOS. It's to get the HOJILLIONS of children that play Minecraft to now buy other products because Minecraft is attached to them.

How many of us resist changing things because there's no obvious reason to switch? Pretty much everybody. Get them on Windows Phone early and they'll be inclined to stay with it.

And that's on top of the fact that Minecraft is still ridiculously profitable.
    That's going to be tough. Apple has them beat in that area, and even with a Minecraft themed device, it'll be a tough segment to crack.

The iPod is genius for kids, and I'm not sure if Apple even realizes it. No cell phone functionality so no data plan and parents don't feel like they're buying kids a phone so early on, ability to iMessage with kids and adults which is identical to SMS without allowing SMS to other platforms, Facetime for audio calls or video chatting with friends. When they're old enough for a phone, they have to get an iOS product to continue to talk to friends that haven't moved from an iPod yet.

If you look at all those funny parents and kids chat that pops up on facebook, you'll notice that all the kids are on iOS, while parents are 50/50 on iOS based on green vs blue text.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Time to buy the kid a cell phone. Kid wants the Minecraft cell phone. End of story.

I don't think the point is to hook the twenty-somethings who fight over Android vs iOS. It's to get the HOJILLIONS of children that play Minecraft to now buy other products because Minecraft is attached to them.

How many of us resist changing things because there's no obvious reason to switch? Pretty much everybody. Get them on Windows Phone early and they'll be inclined to stay with it.

And that's on top of the fact that Minecraft is still ridiculously profitable.
    The catch is that MS phone may not survice 10+ years while the Minecraft generation grows up

Originally posted by rage2

That's going to be tough. Apple has them beat in that area, and even with a Minecraft themed device, it'll be a tough segment to crack.

The iPod is genius for kids, and I'm not sure if Apple even realizes it. No cell phone functionality so no data plan and parents don't feel like they're buying kids a phone so early on, ability to iMessage with kids and adults which is identical to SMS without allowing SMS to other platforms, Facetime for audio calls or video chatting with friends. When they're old enough for a phone, they have to get an iOS product to continue to talk to friends that haven't moved from an iPod yet.

If you look at all those funny parents and kids chat that pops up on facebook, you'll notice that all the kids are on iOS, while parents are 50/50 on iOS based on green vs blue text.
    You're still looking at it as an adult. Kids don't give a shit about feature lists or data plans or any of that. They want the Minecraft phone. It will be on their Christmas list. Of course there are parents that will buy what makes sense, but I think the vast majority will buy what their kid wants, especially if the price is right.

Originally posted by revelations
    The catch is that MS phone may not survice 10+ years while the Minecraft generation grows up
    If they didn't think their phone could survive then they wouldn't be investing in it.

This is all, of course, based on the assumption that this is their master plan for the brand. We have no idea what their reasoning was.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You're still looking at it as an adult. Kids don't give a shit about feature lists or data plans or any of that. They want the Minecraft phone. It will be on their Christmas list. Of course there are parents that will buy what makes sense, but I think the vast majority will buy what their kid wants, especially if the price is right.
    That's the thing, even in our household, the defacto gadget is the iPod because of everything I've mentioned. Sure Christmas lists had all sorts of other electronics, but they're sitting in a closet somewhere and the kids go back to the iPod.

The iPod is the first piece of electronics I bought for the kid, and it's the only one that's stood the test of time. So yes, kids do care about feature lists, just not specs.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The iPod is the first piece of electronics I bought for the kid, and it's the only one that's stood the test of time. So yes, kids do care about feature lists, just not specs.
    Could it be possibly linked to the fact that the iPod is linked to an itunes account with unlimited $?
    ---

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

8-bit graphics.
    You can download some extremely high quality graphic packs for the game and it looks entirely different.

With that said... the developer must be loving this.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

itunes account linked directly to centurion card.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

even in our household
    What the fuck does "even in our household" mean? You think that your house is LESS likely to have Apple devices in them? You are an Apple fanboy. The household with infinite money and almost as many iDevices is as close to the ideal exception as possible.

Stop pretending you're normal.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Canmorite
    $2.5B for what looks like an outdated 8-bit game. Wonder how they figured out those valuations
    Originally posted by killramos

Probably makes more money than their entire gaming division
    Mojang made $816M in profit in 2013 and they claim to have $1.5B worth of asset.

Base on those numbers, $2.5B is a steal.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by firebane

With that said... the developer must be loving this.
    https://twitter.com/notch/status/478766808841732096

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kenny
    Could it be possibly linked to the fact that the iPod is linked to an itunes account with unlimited $?
    He has his own iTunes account and pays for his own stuff from CNY money. Definately not unlimited.

What the fuck does "even in our household" mean? You think that your house is LESS likely to have Apple devices in them? You are an Apple fanboy. The household with infinite money and almost as many iDevices is as close to the ideal exception as possible.

Stop pretending you're normal.
    Ok, all his cousins have iPods (one teenager with iPhone) and he messages and facetime with them. This is why he sticks with it. Before we allowed messaging and FaceTime he still chose the iPod as his defacto device. He has a barely used DS, a completely unused Android tablet, an unused Blackberry, the list goes on. Just because I use a lot of Apple devices, I do not force that on him whatsoever.

I could choose to now allow Apple devices, but that would just alienate him from his cousins that don't live in Calgary. I have zero influence on what his cousins use.

My Ride
    A3

Originally posted by Canmorite
    $2.5B for what looks like an outdated 8-bit game. Wonder how they figured out those valuations
    Yea because the fact that its 8-bit means its worthless. If anything the valuation is low and should of been way more.

My Ride
    W204

Ok, all his cousins have iPods (one teenager with iPhone) and he messages and facetime with them. This is why he sticks with it. Before we allowed messaging and FaceTime he still chose the iPod as his defacto device. He has a barely used DS, a completely unused Android tablet, an unused Blackberry, the list goes on. Just because I use a lot of Apple devices, I do not force that on him whatsoever.
    Haha you realize that YOU are his idol, whether you think it or not. Kids will follow in your footsteps even if you don't realize it, because when it comes down to it, kids are basically too stupid to make their own decisions. If you had a Windows Phone, that's probably what he'd be using.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by clem24
    Haha you realize that YOU are his idol, whether you think it or not. Kids will follow in your footsteps even if you don't realize it, because when it comes down to it, kids are basically too stupid to make their own decisions. If you had a Windows Phone, that's probably what he'd be using.
    I'm his step dad. His dad is his idol. There's no competition. I don't even argue when he says Bing is better, and Blackberry is better because that's what his dad says. I just try to encourage him to try everything and make those decisions on his own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2