Quantcast
The downsides of being rich - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The downsides of being rich

Default The downsides of being rich

What do the beyond ballers think...

Unless you were born rich, at some point in your life you’ve probably dreamed about becoming wealthy.

You know, ridiculous wealth, winning-the-lottery kind of money, with visions of lifestyles of the rich and famous, mansions with manicured lawns and massive swimming pools, personal islands, expensive sports cars, private jets and, well, loads of extra money just to do whatever you’d like whenever you’d like to.

What happens to those lucky few people for whom dream becomes a reality? We turned to question-and-answer-site Quora for some advice on whether getting rich is worth it.

True colours

New money brings change — sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Carol Philo watched her poverty-stricken parents become millionaires when a printing company they owned and ran out of the family’s spare bedroom took off. With the profit, came an obsession for more and more.

“My mom became addicted to the money….Nothing was ever enough,” Philo said, and over the years, family relations eventually dissolved. “Having seen the entire gauntlet, I would say that getting comfortable is worth it. Getting rich is not.”

Murat Morrison couldn’t agree more. He made a mint when he sold his trucking company in the late 1990s. One thing he learned will stay with him forever, he said. “Money buys comfort,” Morrison said. “Comfort is not happiness or satisfaction. I felt as empty as a drum for the next few years. While it is good to be comfortable it is more satisfying to be happy.”

Wealth also tends to bring out people’s true colours, added Paul Buchheit. “In general, it makes people more of whatever they already were,” he said. “If you're an a------, getting more money will probably make you more of an a------. However, if you have purpose and meaning in your life that goes beyond chasing the golden carrot, money can give you the freedom to focus on the things that truly matter to you.”

For Stu Sjouwerman, that purpose was continuing to work. “I worked hard for 15 years and sold my software company. Walked out with an eight-figure number, and was retired for a… whopping five days. You need to have a GAME TO PLAY,” he wrote. “I started my new company immediately and felt a whole lot happier.”

Living with the downsides

The downsides of being rich can outweigh the benefits. “The first thing you are thinking reading that, is, ‘cry me a river.’ You are not allowed to complain about anything, ever,” when you’re wealthy, wrote one anonymous respondent. “Since most people imagine being rich as nirvana, you are no longer allowed to have any human needs or frustrations in the public eye. Yet, you are still a human being, but most people don't treat you like one.”

Other downsides stretch to new parameters with friends and family. “Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money,” the anonymous respondent continued. “If you aren't married yet, good luck trying to figure out (and/or always having self-doubt) about whether a partner is into you or your money.”

Still, money brings perks

Despite the downsides, there are benefits to having more money, most respondents said.

“Being rich is better than not being rich, but it's not nearly as good as you imagine it is,” said the anonymous respondent, who reported having $15m after selling a tech start up. “First, one of the only real things being rich gives you is that you don't have to worry about money as much anymore. There will still be some expenses that you cannot afford (and you will wish you could), but most expenses can be made without thinking about what it costs. This is definitely better, without a doubt.”

And Christopher Angus, who said he made his money on the sale of four small start-ups, said “I’d rather have money than not, as the last seven years as someone with money have allowed me freedoms and experiences that many people won't see and do in their lifetimes. For example, one year I took 25 vacations and at other times I’d spend $20,000 on a Saturday night out.”

Higher expectations

With the added wealth also comes reset expectations. “Everything is relative…The first month you drive the Audi, or eat in a fancy restaurant, you really enjoy it,” the anonymous respondent also wrote. “But then you sort of get used to it. And then you are looking towards the next thing, the next level up. And the problem is that you have reset your expectations, and everything below that level doesn't get you quite as excited anymore.”

Angus, who said he has had more money than he’s known what to do with since his mid-20s, said boredom quickly ensued. “I found that having enough money [where] nearly any material object or status symbol is attainable has removed the excitement and desire for things I always wanted but couldn't afford before I became successful. One Porsche and everything else wasn't nearly enough and over the next three years I bought another five Porsches as well as other Supercars,” Angus said. “I became addicted to buying these symbols to attract attention and get people to want to spend time with me because of what I had and what I could give them.”

A sense of isolation

Another self-made individual, worth more than $20m, said wealth has been a real burden. “I made it big in my mid-30s,” the anonymous tech entrepreneur wrote. “I wanted to get rich and I did it. But I actually feel maybe it's not worth it. A slower path to wealth might be a lot healthier to my career and to my life in general.”

The catch? “It's impossible to give up the money,” the tech entrepreneur wrote. “Being wealthy is probably not worth it. But once you get there, you want to stay there forever.”

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...-rich-worth-it

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

What's the upsides of being poor?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Seems to be just a bunch of common sense stuff. There is always another level to achieve, there is no real finish line. Being happy & content is not dependent on being wealthy.

I have a theory that pretty much everyone in Western society has the same amount of stress in their lives. While the wealthy business man doesn't worry about whether or not he can make his next mortgage payments, he worries about how the board meeting is going to go and whether or not his trophy wife is screwing the neighbour. Is his kid at private school hooked on coke? On the other hand, they guy working entry level construction stresses that making rent this month will be tight and his kid has to wear second hand clothes, but come 5:00 PM on Friday, he sits down with his family & neighbours for a beer & BBQ in the back yard and he is King until Monday morning. Happy or not is a possibility for each of them.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Originally posted by lilmira
    Feels that much better if you become rich

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The saying "ignorance is bliss" can have a lot of truth to it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I love when I read articles like this because it clearly demonstrates how disillusioned some people can be.

My Ride
    G37X

Feeling sorry for rich people especially those born into wealth? Nope. Get over yourselves.

Awww daddy only gave you a down payment for a 300 K condo? And only a base model 3 series? Tough life.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 09-16-2014 at 08:53 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Seems to be just a bunch of common sense stuff. There is always another level to achieve, there is no real finish line. Being happy & content is not dependent on being wealthy.

I have a theory that pretty much everyone in Western society has the same amount of stress in their lives. While the wealthy business man doesn't worry about whether or not he can make his next mortgage payments, he worries about how the board meeting is going to go and whether or not his trophy wife is screwing the neighbour. Is his kid at private school hooked on coke? On the other hand, they guy working entry level construction stresses that making rent this month will be tight and his kid has to wear second hand clothes, but come 5:00 PM on Friday, he sits down with his family & neighbours for a beer & BBQ in the back yard and he is King until Monday morning. Happy or not is a possibility for each of them.
    Success (and therefore happiness IMO) is not necessarily tied to money.

Having enough money to not worry about basic needs is a good start however.

a lot of those problems are problems of poor people as well. The difference is poor people don't have that safety net. When they're depressed they cant stay at home or spend $200 on a shrink. When they have health problems they cant afford the best doctor. When their kid has a disability they can't afford a nanny or that special care that makes life a little easier to bare. Poor people can feel empty as well. Just having "activities" and having to struggle every day to get by earning minimum wage does not automatically give someone an existential "meaning" in their lives. Sure, rich people can get used for their money and people act nice to them just because of their wealth. Poor people can be abused and used as slaves by corporations that would toss them in a dumpster the second their salary doesn't make sense anymore on their balance sheet. So while the rich person might get "used", poor people get "used" all the time. The entire article is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read that could have just been summed up as "humans have problems regardless of their economic status". Poor people still have it worse, end of story.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Feeling sorry for rich people especially those born into wealth? Nope. Get over yourselves.

Awww daddy only gave you a down payment for a 300 K condo? And only a base model 3 series? Tough life.
    Not in that sense... but like they have no ability to fend for themselves and make their own money. When they run out of the inheritance, it's only downhill from there. i.e. you think a rich kid knows how to fend for himself if someone beats him up? The only thing he's got is that paid bodyguard and that ain't gonna last a lifetime if he doesn't know how to make money.

Rich kids also don't understand consequences. Biggest example: Bieber. He may not have been born wealthy but he really didn't earn all that money he has.

Eating out at any place used to be a treat and I'd be looking forward to it all day. Now there are times when I'm eating out for weeks at a time and food all tastes the same. I'm not excited and it all just tastes the same.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Was thinking about this yesterday after reading about the newlywed couple in Ontario that won the 50 million (ages 32 and 30)...

I can't even comprehend that much money suddenly in my hands, let alone at such a young age. It's not like you can just "retire", as the one guy said, "You need to have a GAME TO PLAY".

I don't have too many close friends, and it isn't like I would start paying them to be my entourage, so they'd all still be working a normal work week grind. While my wife was out shopping for ridiculously expensive purses or whatever, I could see myself still sitting around posting on Beyond (albeit probably from a beach front house)

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Eating out at any place used to be a treat and I'd be looking forward to it all day. Now there are times when I'm eating out for weeks at a time and food all tastes the same. I'm not excited and it all just tastes the same.
    Hahah, I'm not even close to being rich (or even "well off"), but every time I sit down at a non-ethnic restaurant, half the menu is stuff my wife makes at home, and probably better, so I can't be bothered to order it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by jwslam
    Not in that sense... but like they have no ability to fend for themselves and make their own money. When they run out of the inheritance, it's only downhill from there. i.e. you think a rich kid knows how to fend for himself if someone beats him up? The only thing he's got is that paid bodyguard and that ain't gonna last a lifetime if he doesn't know how to make money.

Rich kids also don't understand consequences. Biggest example: Bieber. He may not have been born wealthy but he really didn't earn all that money he has.
    That's true. I deal with them everyday at work lol. It's hilarious the small bubble most of them live in. Zero problem solving or social skills beyond flaunting wealth. I blame the parents for not forcing their kids to save for their own down payment, car, schooling etc. Coddling = a little fuck up like Bieber.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by BigMass
    a lot of those problems are problems of poor people as well. The difference is poor people don't have that safety net. When they're depressed they cant stay at home or spend $200 on a shrink. When they have health problems they cant afford the best doctor. When their kid has a disability they can't afford a nanny or that special care that makes life a little easier to bare. Poor people can feel empty as well. Just having "activities" and having to struggle every day to get by earning minimum wage does not automatically give someone an existential "meaning" in their lives. Sure, rich people can get used for their money and people act nice to them just because of their wealth. Poor people can be abused and used as slaves by corporations that would toss them in a dumpster the second their salary doesn't make sense anymore on their balance sheet. So while the rich person might get "used", poor people get "used" all the time. The entire article is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read that could have just been summed up as "humans have problems regardless of their economic status". Poor people still have it worse, end of story.
    THIS x10.. I grew up with working class parents and I wouldn't have had it any other way. No hand outs.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

You know, I think there are a lot of upsides to it.

I went to the Philippines, and I saw a lot of what we would consider poverty there. People living in little shantys, dirty clothing, all that. You could tell, they didn't have much of anything, but I can't recall one of them that didn't have a smile on their face, a joke to tell, and would give you the shirt off their backs.

I left the beaten tourist path when I was there. I met some pretty rough people too, but on the whole, when I met anyone, my money wasn't good there, and I was welcomed with open arms, cold beer (or Emperador, a locally made brandy) and amazing food. (I always left a few thousand pesos behind secretly though as thanks.

Being poor also brings a lot less stress, and that can be worth millions.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

That's true. I deal with them everyday at work lol. It's hilarious the small bubble most of them live in. Zero problem solving or social skills beyond flaunting wealth. I blame the parents for not forcing their kids to save for their own down payment, car, schooling etc. Coddling = a little fuck up like Bieber.
    I don't understand it when parents save up to pay for their children's tuition at an expensive out of town university especially if they're average to below average students majoring in something completely useless. Especially in the US where tuition at a private university can be upwards of $30K/year. Like it really matters where your spoiled kids go for their communications degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Manhattan
    I don't understand it when parents save up to pay for their children's tuition at an expensive out of town university especially if they're average to below average students majoring in something completely useless. Especially in the US where tuition at a private university can be upwards of $30K/year. Like it really matters where your spoiled kids go for their communications degree.
    After 18 years, I'd pay to get the kids out of the house too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

In the end, life is what you make it to be, rich or poor. Money gives you opportunities. It's not the end all be all.

Dave Chappelle on Letterman and they talk about how he walked away from 50 mill. It starts at 9:25. I found this interview quite interesting:

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

The only downside of being rich is not being richer, lol.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Being rich has the option of being poor, that's a scientific fact.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast