Quantcast
The downsides of being rich - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The downsides of being rich

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You don't judge a person by how much resource he/she has but how he/she does with it.

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Holy fuck, you dumb hypocrite. I hope to god you don't reproduce.
    +1

Hallowed_Point, you are pain and simple a hater who makes excuses as to why you arent very successful, rather you pretend to be happy in life when in reality you could be much happier. Its rather amusing seeing everyone pile on your ridiculous statements over and over in various threads... there is a trend here you need to look at.

I was raised by a single mom with 4 children, and now am very successful, I learned the value of money growing up and strived to be all I could be, and exceeded expectations. My Mother and Father gathered what money they could to pay for my post secondary education, and I was so grateful for that, i even paid them back in other ways years later once I had a stable career. So you need to GTFO with your "working class theory" its getting old.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agreed. Several of us who are currently "comfortable" did not come from a silver-spoon situation.

Back in university, I often had to choose between buying a burger for lunch, or a pitcher of beer. I rarely had enough money for both. I did learn that the yakisoba place would give out a small containter of plain steamed rice for around two bucks.

I like to think the choices I made back them made me the person I am today.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yup everything I have I had to work for. Have I had a few lucky breaks in life? Absolutely but to be honest if you are born in canada you should consider yourself in the top percentiles of luckiest people in the world to begin with.

You ask anyone of my friends and non of them would call me a spoiled brat. They would likely say that my defining characteristic is someone who works their ass off to reach their goals and get what they want.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    Yup everything I have I had to work for. Have I had a few lucky breaks in life? Absolutely but to be honest if you are born in canada you should consider yourself in the top percentiles of luckiest people in the world to begin with.

You ask anyone of my friends and non of them would call me a spoiled brat. They would likely say that my defining characteristic is someone who works their ass off to reach their goals and get what they want.
    Didn't your parents pay for your school. You have no respect for yourself!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by icky2unk

Not an ounce!

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by ercchry

its funny, cause you think i was fed with any sort of spoon growing up... some of use are actually just successful people due to hard and SMART work.

barely scraping by at 30 isnt the fault of your up bringing... thats all on you. use whatever excuses you need to justify it but just know that guy with everything you wish you had probably earned it.
    I didn't actually call you out specifically. Unless anything I said does apply to your situation. I've just noticed how people leave out a lot of key details such as: mom and dad helping out with a first mortgage, buying your first car and so forth. I'm not bitter at all. I'm reasonably successful for my lifestyle. I no longer live outside my means (no credit cards.) I just laugh at people who get their back up over getting a leg up in life that's all! I've seem first hand countless daddies boys who are major depressed coke heads in and out of therapy and mom and dads well into their late twenties. It's no life for me..money really isn't the be all and end all. Once someone in your family gets cancer for example, it changes everything you thought you knew and valued.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by icky2unk
    you're kind of taking what I said out of context..is it abnormal to be proud of accomplishing things 100% from your efforts only? I find it much more satisfying.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by max_boost

Wait, what are we talking about again?
    hey max_boost, did you ever find out if Arriva had a car wash or not?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Mo money, mo problems.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ I thought we were talking about the downsides of being rich, lol

Right, downsides of being rich... not that I'd have any idea first hand, but I'd expect:
    - Being surrounded by the less rich i.e., poor.
    - Not having enough digits to show balance, bank overflow.
    - Not having enough things to spend on.
    - There isn't a body of water big enough for yacht.
    - All the good land is already taken/claimed by some country to build monument to commemorate self.
    - Merchants are unlikely to accept gold bullion even though it's legal tender and it's far more space efficient to carry a gold coin than its paper equivalent when compared to melt value.
    - Face value of gold bullion doesn't match melt value.
    - Everyone thinks you're crazy if you tried to dress according to your station in life to distinguish yourself from commoners. Thus, you end up looking like the poor and might be mistaken for being so.
    - It becomes impractical to count all your money, so it's not possible to have personal assurance that every cent is accounted for and not missing.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You forgot, high possibility of drowning in your pool filled with gold/money/jewels.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    you're kind of taking what I said out of context..is it abnormal to be proud of accomplishing things 100% from your efforts only? I find it much more satisfying.
    It is all relative, if you were kicked out at 15 and homeless with no clothing, then yeah that's very self started. Otherwise, YOU did have help.

I find that the people who usually get so worked up about this really did have tons of help, they just don't think of it that way or realize their hypocrisy.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You forgot, high possibility of drowning in your pool filled with gold/money/jewels.
    Or injury. Sucks getting doubloons in your eye.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It sucks going onto beyond and having the members criticize you for having no self respect

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

Money helps to buy security, comfort and stability... But it is not a guarantee of happiness. Eventually life experience forces you to learn this one way or the other.

I know people who are extremely wealthy, yet some of them are:
    -stressed (a lot of pressure comes with maintaining a high standard of living, especially if a spouse or children are involved)
    -plagued with psychological issues (ie: depression, addiction, bipolar, dissociative disorders, paranoia, inferiority/superiority complexes, etc),
    -living in fear on a constant basis (especially if their entire fortunes are totally dependant on another party and they possess no attributable skills or have no work experience)
    -lack a certain level of focus or discipline
    -feeling of a lack of control in their lives (especially if said fortune comes with strings attached)

This is not to say that every wealthy person has such issues. Some that I personally know are also happy, focused and well adjusted members of society. Most of them get such feelings from areas in their life that don't revolve around money. Control over one's life, time, destiny, employment, level of independence, skills, education and relationships is of paramount importance.

I have lived on both ends of the spectrum, and money (or lack of it) has had nothing to do with my personal happiness. There were moments in my life when I lived in and experienced true poverty when I was truly happy (granted those moments were few and far between). By this I do not mean minimum wage/welfare level poverty.... I mean true 3rd world poverty in the fundamental sense. I also saw - on an endless number of occasions - the many strings attached and the hoops some people have to jump through in order to maintain a certain standard of wealth.

I know people who are surrounded by all the possible trappings of wealth and luxury that money can buy who cry themselves to sleep every night, and I also know people who have nothing but the shirt on their back who are genuinely happy and comfortable with their situation and their lot in life.

There are some things in life that no amount of money can buy.

I think one downside would be, lacking/losing touch with personal discipline, ie letting yourself go and becoming a fat fuck lol if you have no self respect/discipline to begin with, wealth is much more likely to amplify that. What good is a Ferrari if you can't fit inside it, right?

My Ride
    Model S

One of the most annoying things has to be people who don't shut up about how they came from broke parents with 5 jobs, having nothing given to them, and "worked hard" for what they had.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I will let a great prophet sing his wisdom,

This was during the time where CAD sucks balls so even though they were rocking it up in Ontario, they used USD LOL.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast