Quantcast
Brake Job, did I get hosed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake Job, did I get hosed?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Default Brake Job, did I get hosed?

I recently took my car in for regular maintenance and a brake service and fluid replacement.

I was called by the service advisor and he said my front brake pads needed to be changed. I told him go ahead and now looking at my invoice, I am seeing the following.

Brake Service + fluid replacement- $199
    service all physical brake components including brake rotors, calipers and pads. Remove all rust and brake dust build up and lubricate applicable shim kits and sliders. Also perform any adjustments if needed
    purge all brake fluid from systems, clean brake fluid reservior and refill system. please bleed out any and all air from system and road test.

Replace front brake pads + machine rotors - $278 labour
    Replace front braike pads and machine rotors. Perform full brake service on the front brakes only. clean and lubricate all physical brake parts pertaining to front pads replacement.
    Brake Pad set - $124.61
    Shim Kit - 52.00

total: 454.61 for bake changing + 199 for the service and fluid replacement

seemed like i got hosed, perhaps someone in the industry can chime in?
    Last edited by Asian_defender; 09-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.

looks pretty standard at the stealerships.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

looks like you are getting charged twice for the "brake service" labour.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

looks fine to me

I don't think you got hosed.... sounds like you took it to a Lexus Dealer? (assuming its the car in your profile - 2011 IS250)

$450 seems a tad high for front brake pads replacement and machining rotors.. but for a dealership it is about right. Brake fluid flush alone is usually about $120 at most dealerships. On top of that, changing pads and machining rotors on front only would be about $400 at most dealerships.

What seems wrong to me is that they charged you for servicing the front brakes and on top of that changing out your front pads .... usually when you change the pads and machine rotors, you would clean all brake dust etc anyway - they should've only charged you for brake service on the rear brakes.... which should not be more than about $100...

I'm assuming you paid only $199 for the brake service + fluid replacement? not $199 + $199 in labour like the first part of your post implies.

Mind you when I say 'most dealerships', I'm considering 'luxury brands' Infiniti, Lexus, Acura etc., not Nissan, Honda etc.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    looks like you are getting charged twice for the "brake service" labour.
    This.

T&T Honda quoted front brake service for Civic, pad replacement to be just over $450 all in.

That said, I think standard rate for any shop is now $135/hr? Even at crappy tire.

My Ride
    Silverado

you got hosed for sure. so much overlap between those two services. the tech is laughing his way to the bank. Probably got paid 4 hours for something that took 1.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

would it still be 2 hours in labour even though they were already doing brake work? I would think this is maybe 15 mins as they were already bleeding brakes and 'servicing' the pads, rotors.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Asian_defender
    would it still be 2 hours in labour even though they were already doing brake work? I would think this is maybe 15 mins as they were already bleeding brakes and 'servicing' the pads, rotors.
    Yes, they charge you whatever their book tells them is the standard hours.

If the book says 1 hour, and the guy is experienced and gets it done in 20 min., you still get charged 1 hour.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

People always say Lexus is cheaper to maintain than BWM. I had my rear pads, rotors (new not machined) and sensors replaced at Calgary BMW for $480. This was least year on a car in the same class.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ How well do you think a Lexus compared to a similar model/level Beemer would do over a 5 year period?

The parts might be expensive for both, but BMW probably requires you to replace/inspect 2x as much.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Nissan quoted me $800 for new front pads and rotors on my old truck. It could have been a lot worse lol.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    NC1

Just had my brakes done, new rotors, pads etc. on the Tribeca and it was $850. Any sort of mechanical work is $$$
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

There must be a beyond that wants to do brake jobs in his garage for some extra money haha.

If your that beyonder, drop me a PM!

^ I will do it for ya but no warranty on work and it will probably take me a whole day haha

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Asian_defender
    There must be a beyond that wants to do brake jobs in his garage for some extra money haha.

If your that beyonder, drop me a PM!
    For next time?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Yeah, pretty standard.

Try getting a truck serviced in Fort Mac lol, until I came up here I had NEVER heard of "mud time" as a charge. Your same service, plus an oil change and tire rotation would run about $1200 for a half ton truck. And they didn't even wash it for me.

Exact reason I do all my own maintenance. Takes a tiny bit longer, but you can usually get better parts and you build up a tool collection as you go.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

As much as I love working on vehicles, brakes are the one thing that can very easily be messed up.

Years ago I had CT work on the brakes of my old Mazda B2200 - long story short - I ended up replacing the entire front braking system 3 months later myself at U wrench. The brakes were leaking at the calipers (both sides) and the discs (CT machined) were out so bad you could see it on a stand.

Even my Civic, the axial runout for a new disc is supposed to be 0.005". The hubs had a fair bit of material deposited on them and I had to mark and sand off the high parts before new discs - otherwise the pedal could vibrate at speed pretty good.

I doubt that most home mechanics would bother to measure this. I have a dial indicator around from my days of wrenching jet engines at Air Canada.
    Last edited by revelations; 09-16-2014 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by revelations
    As much as I love working on vehicles, brakes are the one thing that can very easily be messed up.

Years ago I had CT work on the brakes of my old Mazda B2200 - long story short - I ended up replacing the entire front braking system 3 months later myself at U wrench. The brakes were leaking at the calipers (both sides) and the discs (CT machined) were out so bad you could see it on a stand.

Even my Civic, the axial runout for a new disc is supposed to be 0.005". The hubs had a fair bit of material deposited on them and I had to mark and sand off the high parts before new discs - otherwise the pedal could vibrate at speed pretty good.

I doubt that most home mechanics would bother to measure this. I have a dial indicator around from my days of wrenching jet engines at Air Canada.
    I think if the average DIY'er was blind, missing both arms, and was 4 years old they would still be 10 times more qualified than the best CT tech in the entire country.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Originally posted by G-ZUS

For next time?
    Well my rotors will probably have to be done soon as it was just pads.
    Have to think about my rear brakes too. At this rate it going to be another 1000 to get those done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast