Quantcast
Stereo Question - it's a yes or no - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stereo Question - it's a yes or no

JJLuke Guest

Default Stereo Question - it's a yes or no

OK guys,

Setting up a JL 500/1 with 2 12w3 subs, 4 awg wiring into a 1990 Honda Accord EX-R (American EX) coupe which will be powered by either a Sony M series or Panasonic graphical deck...

Should I get a cap for it?

Let me know your thoughts!

My Ride
    2000 DC4

No you would not need one .
    JDM goodness + boost = 1 phat integra

www.abtegs.net

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

no

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

what does a cap do?? feroz keeps trying to sell me one saying i need one, but i don't even know what it does and if i really need it
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

You don't NEED it , but it will make your alternator last longer. I got a .5 ferad cap and I don't notice my headlights dimming when the bass hits now, so it seems a little nicer to the electrical system now.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by kevie88
    You don't NEED it , but it will make your alternator last longer. I got a .5 ferad cap and I don't notice my headlights dimming when the bass hits now, so it seems a little nicer to the electrical system now.
    Exactly, i Had one in My MR2,( 10' Pioneer IMPP sub, and Rockford 100.a2 amp) didnt really NEED it at all, but i had such bad luck with my Stereo draining my Electrical system in my Passat, that i just wanted to be safe.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    what does a cap do?? feroz keeps trying to sell me one saying i need one, but i don't even know what it does and if i really need it
    You're buying your stuff rom Feroz?? Does he call you "brother" a lot? Hahaha! I bought my deck from him and he gave me a very good deal. I dunno if I'd buy from him again though.

Anyways, to answer your question, a cap holds a small charge, so whenever your sub hits a low note, it quickly draws power from the cap, which then gets recharged for the next draw.
    Last edited by D'z Nutz; 09-26-2002 at 08:42 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by kevie88
    No, actually it doesn't make your alternator last longer. A cap is just a short term substitution for a long term problem. Adding a cap is just another load for your alternator to handle.

One solution might actually to get a larger gauge of wiring for your car (ie: power and ground from your alternator), although this can be very costly if you're getting someone else to do it since you basically have to rerun new wiring throughout parts of your car. Another solution is to get your alternator rebushed to handle more amps.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

You're buying your stuff rom Feroz?? Does he call you "brother" a lot? Hahaha! I bought my deck from him and he gave me a very good deal. I dunno if I'd buy from him again though.

Anyways, to answer your question, a cap holds a small charge, so whenever your sub hits a low note, it quickly draws power from the cap, which then gets recharged for the next draw.
    he does, but at the same time he still remembers my name. which is what's so great about the guy. he see like hundreds of guys looking for stereo shit every week, and he still manages to know everyone's name

where does this guy work?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

soundsaround macleod

My Ride
    2000 DC4

Yeah ,hes a cool guy ,But he gets me the greatest deal then every one else.
    JDM goodness + boost = 1 phat integra

www.abtegs.net

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Hey hey brother.. what u looking for today? how you doing brother? stupid drunk driver.. he almost wrote off his car drinking and driving.. sorry i will not deal with any person who is stupid to call me a brother cuas i am white (other than my sister)..and drives under the influence

ps ill sell you a 1.0 farad rockford cap for 100$ (includes new ground wire and wire from cap to amp)
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

and what are u basing this on?

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Caps are a very good idea, they don't really drain from your alternator because they are basically a batery with a 12 v current which keeps your amp happy. And with a JL 500/1 you will need a cap because the amp requires constant power which is why it it called constant power amplifier, go to soundsaround and get one of them to turn the board on with the 500/1 and it will shut down the board. I have a 500/1 and a w7 and a cap, which i need, and so will you

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

is this guy you guys talk about a bit of an older guy, maybe 5"9, 160lbs. dark hair with grey streaks?

He tried to sell me the store when I was in there friday...
    Travel

imo caps are pretty useless. if you are playing constant bass the cap drains out with a few seconds and puts more of a strain on your alternator because it needs power to charge up.

My Ride
    00 GSX-R 600

Originally posted by theken
    Caps are a very good idea, they don't really drain from your alternator because they are basically a batery with a 12 v current which keeps your amp happy. And with a JL 500/1 you will need a cap because the amp requires constant power which is why it it called constant power amplifier, go to soundsaround and get one of them to turn the board on with the 500/1 and it will shut down the board. I have a 500/1 and a w7 and a cap, which i need, and so will you

dude... it's a constant power amplifier because it is able to maintain 500 watts of continuous power output anywhere from a 4 to 1.5 ohm load

all a cap is is a small battery with a very very quick discharge rate. once it is drained it needs to be recharged just like a battery so it is just putting ANOTHER strain on your alternator

I will say this and stand by it for my life... if you have voltage issues, yes caps work. Are they a solution? NO!!! They are a band-aid to cover a bigger problem. If you have a voltage issue, you upgrade your wiring... ALL OF IT... from alt to battery, battery to ground, battery to amp, and amp to ground.
    Then, you upgrade your alternator and battery... most stock alts are only able to do maybe 60-100 amps. if you are running a system of large proportion, it just ain't enough.
    I had a 100 amp alt in my old car and a Zapco AG 350 on it and I had dimming problems, mind you I was running it bridged to two ohms so I had quite a bit of current draw.

Oh, and if Soundsaround's board shuts off when they turn on the 500/1, they too have some serious issues... not even the board at A&B sound here in S'toon does that!!!

and as Nitz once said... "Ranting makes me sleepy"
    00 GSX-R 600
    It ain't stock.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    I bought my Amp off him, gave me a Smokin deal!
    Travel

JJLuke Guest

At Soundsaround, you can get a killer deal IFF you know how to talk to them...

When I say killer I dont mean cost, but I mean ebay prices (but you get warranty)

before I got my setup used, talked a guy at the Sunridge location - made me a deal for jl 500/1, 2 10 w3v2's and a ported box for $1250... when I calculate everything if I got it from ebay, it would have saved me at most $100-150..

$350US amp shipped
    $250US subs shipped
    $100US box shipped
    $70-80CN GST
    $20-30CN duty
    = ~$1200 CDN landed

As far as the cap goes, I'd only be pulling the 60amps needed for the jl 500/1... wont spend my left nut on one, but I'm gonna get a 1/2 farad and do a personal test and post you guys on it

theken... props to you on your decision to get a w7... my friend had 2 10w3's in his car before he upgraded to a 10w7... the w3's would crap out and he replaced them like twice, he got a w7 and it literally sounds like he has 3 10's in there... dynamically, it did not hit harder, but cleaner and was comparable to 2 18w6's

-J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast