Quantcast
Fall Hike - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fall Hike

My Ride
    06 F-150

Default Fall Hike

Anywhere within an hours drive that you guys would recommend for a hike this weekend? Not looking for anything crazy intense, but nothing super beginner either. Intermediate I guess. Would like something with a nice view at the top.

What do you guys recommend?

Rundle Mountain would probably be super nice this time of year, access just behind Canmore, enough foot traffic to be safe & hopefully Bear free haha. There is a nice little clearing near the top perfect for a picnic or taking in the view. Reasonably easy hike.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Rundle Mountain would probably be super nice this time of year, access just behind Canmore, enough foot traffic to be safe & hopefully Bear free haha. There is a nice little clearing near the top perfect for a picnic or taking in the view. Reasonably easy hike.
    Just read up on Rundle. Looks like a nice hike. Says about 8 hours though? Little longer than I'm hoping for this weekend, but definitely looks like something I'd like to check out.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Go to Larch Valley by Lake Louise now. It's honestly world renowned to see the valley this time of year.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Miss Daisy

Fullerton Loop near Bragg Creek (across from Allen Bill Pond) is a great hike that seems to fit the criteria you're looking for and is only about 30 minutes out of the city.

If you haven't been to Elbow Falls since the floods, you can stop by on your way out to see how much it's changed.

Larch Valley may be a little further than he's looking for if he's looking for something within an hour's drive.

www.industrialelements.ca

=====> Facebook - Like our page for promos, inventory, and shipment updates

=====> Instagram

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Bragg creep area is really nice and theres a few really nice hikes of varying length there

My Ride
    06 F-150

Yea the Larch Valley hike does look awesome, and I'm considering sucking it up and doing the drive. But more likely to grab something a little closer to town. Will read up on some hikes near Bragg Creek.

Thinking maybe the Larch Valley hike would be best with renting a room for the night in Banff.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I just climbed Mt st. piran last weekend, its amazing. Lake Louise looks 10x better from the top.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

What about the Sulphur Mountain hike? Well beaten trail all the way to the top. Quite a nice view from up there.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by chathamf
    Yea the Larch Valley hike does look awesome, and I'm considering sucking it up and doing the drive. But more likely to grab something a little closer to town. Will read up on some hikes near Bragg Creek.

Thinking maybe the Larch Valley hike would be best with renting a room for the night in Banff.
    Just know that in the Lake Louise area, many hikes have a 4 or more persons requirement because of bears. It's the dumbest fucking rule and I'm absolutely hate it. I honestly don't know how hard they enforce it but they advertise the fine is $4,000.

I'm heading out there Monday if we can get 4 people. Or maybe just pick up some randoms at the trail head, we've done this before.

If you're not wanting to drive that far, Ha Ling by Canmore is very popular and has a nice view. Or on the other side of the valley for a more challenging hike, you could do Lady McDonald. Heart Mountain is another popular one in the area. I'd recommend Cascade Mountain because the view is absolutely stunning, but it is a long hard day and definitely not beginner - intermediate type difficulty. I'd put it on the list for later on once you've hiked more, it's awesome!

You can also search hikes on Trailpeak - I find it super useful.
    Last edited by msommers; 09-26-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by chathamf

Just read up on Rundle. Looks like a nice hike. Says about 8 hours though? Little longer than I'm hoping for this weekend, but definitely looks like something I'd like to check out.
    I'm not sure we were looking at the same hike, I think this one is West rundle, or something like that.

My GF and I hike pretty fast but it took us 3 hours tops round trip with a stop for lunch near the top. We also didn't go 100% to the summit since it was a shale scramble, but we went most of the way.

The Tea House hikes around Lake Louse would be good choices as well.

$4000 fine for the bear areas Had no idea it was that high. Then again I am terrified of bears and have no problem with it

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by msommers

Just know that in the Lake Louise area, many hikes have a 4 or more persons requirement because of bears. It's the dumbest fucking rule and I'm absolutely hate it. I honestly don't know how hard they enforce it but they advertise the fine is $4,000.

I'm heading out there Monday if we can get 4 people. Or maybe just pick up some randoms at the trail head, we've done this before.
    Yea that's pretty ridiculous. I haven't really done much hiking. Do you guys take any precautions as far as bears and whatnot go? Is bringing bear mace worthwhile?

My Ride
    06 F-150

I'm not sure we were looking at the same hike, I think this one is West rundle, or something like that.

My GF and I hike pretty fast but it took us 3 hours tops round trip with a stop for lunch near the top. We also didn't go 100% to the summit since it was a shale scramble, but we went most of the way.

The Tea House hikes around Lake Louse would be good choices as well.
    Can you find a link to this one?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yes I would strongly encourage you to have bear spray. It honestly should be in all hikers' kits. This time of the year they're mostly concerned about stuffing their faces as much as possible but there's always an off-chance someone hasn't been able to eat as much as they were hoping for. It's the scrawny bears you really have to weary of, and mom/cubs of course.

Mt Baldy, Indefatiguable, Ribbon Falls (potentially closed still), Chester Lake (easy and beautiful) are good ones too. Here's more with conditions and info:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/peter-lou...es/trails.aspx
    Last edited by msommers; 09-26-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm not sure which one you honestly did. It makes me think it might have been Ha Ling. Because EEOR is not that quick and Mt. Rundle itself is a fucking slog!

Actually maybe it was EEOR since you said you didn't summit. You must motor something fast if it was though!
    Last edited by msommers; 09-26-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Ditto on bear spray, get some and bring it. Was out at Peyto Lake last weekend and came across a f@#$ing grizzly. Someone else up there wandering a bit warned us and we packed up to go and I grabbed the spray in hand just in case. There were 5 of us plus infant, we started making loud noises and start descending the way we came single file. This mother f@#$er is kind of half galloping sideways just poking its head up over the ridge facing us and disappears back down the ridge away from sight again. These big guys moved FAST. Luckily, it didn't follow us any further.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride

Here's a link to Parks Canada about bear sightings for the past week.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/ou...pdate-byk.aspx

The week before, there were sightings at Banff Springs Golf Course, and Johnston Canyon. These guys can be anywhere right now.

I enjoyed Grassi Lakes in Canmore a few weeks ago.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Haha I'm sure once I tell my old lady about the bears I'll be left without a hiking partner anyhow. We packed up the car for camping few months ago and headed to Kananaskis. Spotted a bear as we pulled into the campground and she made me drive right home haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well there goes that idea hahaha
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast