Quantcast
Fall Hike - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fall Hike

My Ride
    06 F-150

I'll just be quiet about that detail haha. Any recommendations for a somewhat cheap hiking boot?

My Ride
    Wristshots

From the sounds of it, Ha Ling or the Tea House at Louise might work well for you guys this time. In any case, have fun, let us know how it goes and share some pictures if you have any.

Boot choice is considerably subjective, since it's mostly about fit and comfort. For example, I need some solid support at the ankles, whereas a friend of mine almost always prefers shoes as he prefers having the mobility. Get out and try some on, see what feels right to you.
    Last edited by statick; 09-26-2014 at 08:53 PM.

If you want an easy hike with an amazing view, the Kananaskis fire lookout is nice.

Originally posted by statick
    From the sounds of it, Ha Ling or the Tea House at Louise might work well for you guys this time. In any case, have fun, let us know how it goes and share some pictures if you have any.

Boot choice is considerably subjective, since it's mostly about fit and comfort. For example, I need some solid support at the ankles, whereas a friend of mine almost always prefers shoes as he prefers having the mobility. Get out and try some on, see what feels right to you.
    My husband is an avid hiker. Ha Ling offers great views. He is hiking to to the Tea House and then continuing on further today.

For half day hikes he has usually gone to Prairie Mountain, Moose Mountain, WindTower/Door Jam.

I wish I could enjoy hiking as much as he does, but I don't!

My Ride
    Wristshots

Originally posted by bleu

My husband is an avid hiker. Ha Ling offers great views. He is hiking to to the Tea House and then continuing on further today.

For half day hikes he has usually gone to Prairie Mountain, Moose Mountain, WindTower/Door Jam.

I wish I could enjoy hiking as much as he does, but I don't!
    Spot on, Moose Mountain as well!

I've not been to Prairie Mountain or Wind Tower, I'll have to head over some time.

My Ride
    Fire Truck

. double post
    Last edited by SIC1; 09-27-2014 at 05:46 PM.

My Ride
    Fire Truck

Originally posted by msommers

I'm not sure which one you honestly did. It makes me think it might have been Ha Ling. Because EEOR is not that quick and Mt. Rundle itself is a fucking slog!

Actually maybe it was EEOR since you said you didn't summit. You must motor something fast if it was though!

Originally posted by chathamf

Can you find a link to this one?
    http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-EEOR-...anmore-AB-4020

This is definitely EEOR aka East End of Rundle/South Summit. It's 4 hours Round-trip Car summit car. 3 hours to the bench/col where most the local chicks go to get a good tan.

this is a quick jaunt that I do back to back with ha Ling.

True summit of Rundle from the West/banff is 7-10 hours for the average hiker and is a boring walk thru trees then 1 hour of slogging.

Since you are coming from Calgary

I would suggest K-Country/Canmore

-Mt Baldy
    -Heart Mountain include the Twin Towers
    -Yamnuska
    -Doorjam/Loder
    -Lady MacDonald

If you want to venture farther and plan to make a overnight then Lake Louise/moraine lake area is the place to go. Larch Valley/Sentinel Pass and getting more advance,

-Eiffel Peak. - break off the larch valley/Sentinel pass ford the stream and slog lookers left. It's one mountain left of Pinnacle Mountain - Sentinel Pass - Temple will be to it's right.

If you have the time and the patience:
    Temple it is only long if you aren't in shape or do not have route finding skills.

You can also try Fairview mountain.

The trail runs left of Lake Louise parking lot

If you are to see the Larches and larch madness This is prime time
    check the following link for more details.

http://therealbanff.com/fallfest201

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Interesting about Temple. I've always been under the impression it was a difficult hike, even for experienced hikers. I did Cascade summit a couple months ago and I was plenty sore but not dying by the end. Have you done Cascade to compare?
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:15 AM.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will end up checking out something around Canmore - likeley Ha Ling. Didn't end up going today as planned, but will pick up some gear this week and try to go next weekend. Will take some pics. Really looking forward to it.

My Ride
    Fire Truck

Originally posted by msommers
    Interesting about Temple. I've always been under the impression it was a difficult hike, even for experienced hikers. I did Cascade summit a couple months ago and I was plenty sore but not dying by the end. Have you done Cascade to compare?

Yes, Ive done both every year since I moved to Banff in 08 except Cascade in 2012 due to the birth of my daughter.

Cascade
    http://instagram.com/p/sIR9_YmrcR/
    http://instagram.com/p/rrqXU5mrTL/
    Cascade is a grind and mindfuck (especially the beginning/end hike because of the ascent out from the trail from Mystic chair to the Norquay parking lot.

Temple
    http://instagram.com/p/sQ8hdomrYh/
    http://instagram.com/p/sPoRSGmrSR/
    Temple is a route finding, long day, It involves awesome scenery both ways.
    Temple has a straight forward longer approach, espcially the drive since it's another 15 from Lake Louise hamlet by Trans-Canada Hwy.

if anyone is keen you can also download the PDF from the Park Canada website for Cascade, Temple and Rundle

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...brochures.aspx

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by kaput
    I did Sentinel Pass today. I found it easier and way more worthwhile than Ha Ling. Larches are pretty much done though, last week would have been ideal.
    Thanks for that tip. Went to Sentinel Pass yesterday and agree that it's easier than Ha Ling. It's not as long and the rocky bits aren't all that loose and quite walkable. That parking lot fills up FAST.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    STi

I just did the Ptarmigan Cirque Interpretive Trail yesterday. Pretty nice and relaxing hike. 4.5km round trip but you can hike up abit more near the top of the circle. Pretty beautiful hike, and you get to see those yellow Larch's that Larch valley has. NOTE: I did see a grizzly bear on the side of the road on the drive back. It surprises me how stupid people can get. I saw a couple park and get out of the car to try to get a close photo of the grizzly. This is why people get mauled

You can see the trail near the middle of the first picture. This is just past the main circle and you can hike up to just past that ridge.

image upload free

image hosting over 2mb

Originally posted by statick

I prefer the boots as well simply because of the ankle support. It's nice to have just incase you're walking on uneven terrain. If it's a simple/easy hike and you don't need the boots, you can always just wear runners. MEC has a great selection of boots and a wide range of prices.
    Last edited by jsn; 09-29-2014 at 10:53 AM.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by chathamf

Just read up on Rundle. Looks like a nice hike. Says about 8 hours though? Little longer than I'm hoping for this weekend, but definitely looks like something I'd like to check out.
    There is 2 summits for Mt Rundle. True summit from banff which is quite the trek. And the south summit from canmore. It's maybe 3 or 4 hours max. I have seen teenagers training out of the nordic centre do it in just over an hour and a half i think.

From whitemans gap, ha ling on the left and rundle south summit on the right.

Originally posted by jsn
    I just did the Ptarmigan Cirque Interpretive Trail yesterday. Pretty nice and relaxing hike. 4.5km round trip but you can hike up abit more near the top of the circle. Pretty beautiful hike, and you get to see those yellow Larch's that Larch valley has. NOTE: I did see a grizzly bear on the side of the road on the drive back. It surprises me how stupid people can get. I saw a couple park and get out of the car to try to get a close photo of the grizzly. This is why people get mauled.
    I might just have to hike this next weekend. I prefer nice, easy hikes if I do go - no scrambling or fear of falling for me.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by bleu

I might just have to hike this next weekend. I prefer nice, easy hikes if I do go - no scrambling or fear of falling for me.
    How about bears?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Any recommendations for this weekend? (Feb 13)
    It's supposed to be +10C

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Still likely to be quite icy and lots of snow, and would recommend crampons.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Cant beat a quick romp up prairie. She'll be icy, but doable without the yak-trax

My Ride
    G37X

I imagine being one of the easier hikes it shouldn't be too bad, but anyone have experience with Johnston Canyon this time of year?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2