Quantcast
CNBC: Apple using "13 year old" Windows XP/2000 type OS to test Apple iPhone 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CNBC: Apple using "13 year old" Windows XP/2000 type OS to test Apple iPhone 6

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default CNBC: Apple using "13 year old" Windows XP/2000 type OS to test Apple iPhone 6

http://betanews.com/2014/09/26/apple...ng-windows-xp/

Can business machines and test equipment not run an Apple OS? I do know know that old Apple computers can speak your name if you type it in to it, that's just about it

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Why is this even news? Apple didn't build the stress testing machines themselves, they would've ordered/bought them from a third party and used the supplied software which, as with most industrial applications, runs on windows.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Thanks for the... Uh... "News?"

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

interesting. .

My Ride
    Bicycle

Remember Toma asking for motherboard with ISA slots with run his dyno? Businesses don't spend $ unless they have to. There are many perfectly find business systems running Windows XP. As long as it's not connected to a network and support department has sufficient parts and know how to keep it running, it's fine.

The only problem sticking with old tech is that it will eventually cost more to keep it around than replacing it.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Remember Toma asking for motherboard with ISA slots with run his dyno? Businesses don't spend $ unless they have to. There are many perfectly find business systems running Windows XP. As long as it's not connected to a network and support department has sufficient parts and know how to keep it running, it's fine.

The only problem sticking with old tech is that it will eventually cost more to keep it around than replacing it.
    thats what i was thinking was the ISA . i just find it odd you spend 3000 on a powerpc and have limited use

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by thetransporter

thats what i was thinking was the ISA . i just find it odd you spend 3000 on a powerpc and have limited use
    You don't developer applications for OSX you develop for the mainstream business OS.. Windows.

Consumers want the latest and greatest. Companies will squeeze every penny from an old price of tech. Hell, my company uses a DOS system for base client info, and Lotus notes for an email client. Have you ever tried Lotus? It's just plain awful, but they won't change until the developer stops supporting it due to the cost of changing it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    Consumers want the latest and greatest. Companies will squeeze every penny from an old price of tech. Hell, my company uses a DOS system for base client info, and Lotus notes for an email client. Have you ever tried Lotus? It's just plain awful, but they won't change until the developer stops supporting it due to the cost of changing it.
    We just migrated to Outlook. It is glorious (Still not as awesome as my last employer using gmail though but so much better than Lotus)