Quantcast
Cutting cable. What do I need? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting cable. What do I need?

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Default Cutting cable. What do I need?

So, I assume, in cutting cable, I can get the local channels in HD. Is there a way to DVR those channels on OTA broadcasts? As for other options on what to watch, Netflix and Unblock-us should cover it. Are there any other options here? I'm a hockey fan, so GameCenterLive would be a reasonable purchase, what's the catch with that setup, do I only get certain games, or can I choose what to watch. NFL, what do I do for that?

I think that's all my questions, any advice would be appreciated.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Hulu and Amazon Prime may be worth considering as well.

My Ride
    Ford

Default Re: Cutting cable. What do I need?

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    So, I assume, in cutting cable, I can get the local channels in HD. Is there a way to DVR those channels on OTA broadcasts? As for other options on what to watch, Netflix and Unblock-us should cover it. Are there any other options here? I'm a hockey fan, so GameCenterLive would be a reasonable purchase, what's the catch with that setup, do I only get certain games, or can I choose what to watch. NFL, what do I do for that?

I think that's all my questions, any advice would be appreciated.
    nhl game center is black out games in your area unless you use unblockus or vpn or something similar.

last year i bought game center using the unblock us and it was $99 instead of $150 as it showed i was in america not canada. reading redflagdeals yesterday turns out if you put unblock us to think your in Russia then game center is only $75 there.
    Last edited by blairtruck; 09-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride

Thanks guys. I'll look into those. What about antennas, and DVR's? Anyone have any leads on those things?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

we cut it about 6 months ago, no problem surviving on netflix, unblock-us, torrents, and the showbox (basically an easy to use interface for xbmc) app for android

also if you use unblock, you can open up a bunch of the US broadcasters (like cbs) streaming services on their site
    Last edited by Thaco; 09-29-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

XBMC
    +
    http://www.tvaddons.ag

You really don't need anything else. There are ways of DVR with Xbmc if you use a htpc or PC but with all the addons you can get for Xbmc, there really is no need to.

You can add your favorite TV shows to your Xbmc library and it automatically finds a stream and plays it. This is done with the Genisis add-on.

Sports are covered by free sports streaming addons or game center addons.

Looking for local coverage? There is a Canada on demand app which covers networks like CTV,Global,TSN etc..

There are even live TV channel addons in case you want to just put it on a channel and let it play.

I am using an Amazon firetv to run Xbmc lately and its pretty solid. It also let's me use android apps(flames mobile app has been handy for pre season streams) on my tv. $99 if you can get one out of the US.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I've been without cable for 4? maybe 5 years now? Never looked back.

My current set up is:
    1) Netflix for ~60%of content and finding new shows to watch the first few seasons
    2) Newsgroups/Sickbeard to download anything I want that isn't on Netflix
    3) Plex media server to host the content and chromecasts to play it on the TV. With Plex I can also access all my media remotely, so when I'm stuck in a hotel room I can keep watching shows wherever I left off, as well as I can sync shows onto my tablet if I won't have internet or am flying.
    4) unblock us for US Netflix and NHL (99$)

My current setup is quite nice. My tablet is set up to sync to the server and maintain the next 5 unwatched episodes in a few series stored on it. If I watch any on the tablet or even the TV, it automatically updates and pushes another episode onto my tablet. At anytime I can just grab it and hop on a plane and pick up all my current series wherever I left off. Even if I paused mid-show.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

I think NFL Sunday ticket or whatever is only available through cable companies. So your stuck watching the few on local channels through HD antenna or else rely on XBMC which isn't the best quality for live streams but it works. NFL is working on having a similar NHL game center program but it won't be ready until at the earliest next year.
    Last edited by HuMz; 09-29-2014 at 09:10 PM.

I've been Cableless in Calgary (CIC) for a month now. Four HD channels, like 1977. Had the good fortune to find out my sister has a Bell dish, so I can watch all her channels (in HD?) on my iPhone (getting a 6 Plus) and iPad, but not on the computer as Bell blocks it. I'll have to look into getting the NHL package through the US for 75 bucks, looks like a decent deal.

On CIC TV I get two HD (clearer than on Telus) NFL games on Sunday, one at 11 and another at 2 or something.

My Ride

This is great info. I can really see this happening. My daughter likes "Mythbusters", and that's on NetflixUS. She could get her cartoons there as well, and her other shows work off that too, that I've seen. I'll keep looking for her, but there's a few that I like, too. SpikeTV has the PowerBlock, that I like, watching and helping me on car projects that I have. I'll look into Hulu for that. I'm not a download type guy, I don't know, something seems dishonest about it to me. But, I may look into it, if I have to.

DVR's. I still would like to be able to record what's OTA, to watch later, as I'm on disability, and don't have much to do, bum knee and all. Is XBMC my only option, and do I need to build a HTPC for that? Remember, disability means I don't get paid as much, so cheaper options are better. I've seen this option on digitalhome.ca, and people seem to use it well, and say it's a great option. NHL Gamecenter would come through the XBOne. And the upcoming media player update might help me out, especially if I go the download route.

Any insights on those things? As well, which antenna is a good one, Monoprice ones, or I can order one from thesource.ca?

My Ride
    BMW Z4 Coupe, XFR

I setup this for Netflix US, HULU and Amazon Instant video. It was easy to setup.

https://www2.unotelly.com/home

For TV shows I installed a Hauppauge 2250. You get 5 channels locally in HD that look great. It has 2 tuners. Set it up to record what I want. Use Xbox360 to stream to the television. $130 and gets most of what I watch.

My Ride

Originally posted by Nate
    I setup this for Netflix US, HULU and Amazon Instant video. It was easy to setup.

https://www2.unotelly.com/home

For TV shows I installed a Hauppauge 2250. You get 5 channels locally in HD that look great. It has 2 tuners. Set it up to record what I want. Use Xbox360 to stream to the television. $130 and gets most of what I watch.
    UnoTelly looks awesome! Setup should be easy with my router too. I don't have a desktop, just two laptops, so the Hauppauge 2250 won't work for me. I need something a little easier to work with. That ChannelMaster box might do it, but I'm hesitant to drop $400 on it.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that in order to "cut the cable" you have to don a parrot and start saying "Arrrr Matey"..

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by codetrap
    I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that in order to "cut the cable" you have to don a parrot and start saying "Arrrr Matey"..
    It's downright pathetic.

The fact that there are currently very few legal mechanisms to watch these shows outside of cable shows just how out of touch content distributors are with the audience they supposedly serve.

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap

Originally posted by A790

It's downright pathetic.

The fact that there are currently very few legal mechanisms to watch these shows outside of cable shows just how out of touch content distributors are with the audience they supposedly serve.
    That's what I'm figuring out. I'm sick of paying $90/mo. for broadcast channels that I currently watch. Most, if not all of what I watch, is available OTA, with my daughter watching the extra channels. That's why unotelly, or some other streaming setup would work well for me. I can handle $23/mo. way easier. That's Netflix, UnoTelly and UnblockUS.

My only other issue, is I feed cable to my Mother-in-Law on the other side of the duplex, and she has an old tube TV, so I would have to find her a box that converts digital OTA TV to her old NTSC TV. But Amazon has a few choices there. Get a signal booster, and boom, no problems there.

But I'm stuck on the DVR. The Channel Master DVR+ looks like a great option, and I can still feed the signal through my receiver, so I can get the better sound. Just can't wrap my head around $400 for the DVR. But I paid $400 for the Shaw DVR I have now, so maybe it's not that difficult.

My Ride

Okay, so I just spent $160 on an antenna, booster, and a box for my M-I-L, so she can get digital OTA signals. I ordered from Amazon, so returning is easy, if I so choose. I'll keep my cable connected for a few weeks, just in case, because I'm on a grandfathered plan, and it's $25 more now, for the channels that I do get. Once the antenna and such get here, I'll hook it all up, give it a couple days, and see if I can go with just OTA signal, or if I have to keep cable, and simply cut down on the channel package that I have. We'll see.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by HuMz
    I think NFL Sunday ticket or whatever is only available through cable companies. So your stuck watching the few on local channels through HD antenna or else rely on XBMC which isn't the best quality for live streams but it works. NFL is working on having a similar NHL game center program but it won't be ready until at the earliest next year.
    https://gamepass.nfl.com

I use this to watch on my computer, phone and tablet. I can watch live games as well as replay any 2014 game.

I run OTA channels and then XMBC which is changing names. tvaddons.org.

I watch OTA regularly for local news then usually big bang theory while I eat dinner.
    If I do use the xbmc, it's easy to use.

ZMan: run a splitter off the HD OTA antenna and take a feed into your place too if it's easy to do so.
    The MIL will need a digital converter box, I hope you got that. Your flat screen won't for the OTA stuff.

I'm wondering how NHL games will go this season with Rogers all over it?
    Going out on a limb and saying that Rogers will go bust in 10 yrs from this NHL license unless they're able to sell off games to other providers.

Just out of curiosity what do you currently have with Shaw?

My Ride

Originally posted by gpomp
    https://gamepass.nfl.com

I use this to watch on my computer, phone and tablet. I can watch live games as well as replay any 2014 game.
    SWEET!! I'll look into it.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    I run OTA channels and then XMBC which is changing names. tvaddons.org.

I watch OTA regularly for local news then usually big bang theory while I eat dinner.
    If I do use the xbmc, it's easy to use.

ZMan: run a splitter off the HD OTA antenna and take a feed into your place too if it's easy to do so.
    The MIL will need a digital converter box, I hope you got that. Your flat screen won't for the OTA stuff.

I'm wondering how NHL games will go this season with Rogers all over it?
    Going out on a limb and saying that Rogers will go bust in 10 yrs from this NHL license unless they're able to sell off games to other providers.
    Yup. Got a converter box for the MIL, have a two-way booster, one going to my TV, one going to hers', that's the only TV's we have. What devices can I use to run XBMC or whatever it's called now?

Originally posted by EK69
    Just out of curiosity what do you currently have with Shaw?
    I have the old Premier TV package, where you get all the basics, plus 9 add-on packs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast