Quantcast
Homes by AVI - Upgrades - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Homes by AVI - Upgrades

Default Homes by AVI - Upgrades

hello everyone,

I am building a home with homes by AVI. i am planning on doing some upgrades on the appliances, as they include only basic ones from whirlpool.

Does anybody know, how homes by AVI does the selection centre charges? Do i have to pay upfront the money for the upgrades or i should pay the balance (not covered by mortgage) during the time of possession.

Also please let me know , is it good to add money for upgrades in to mortgage or should i pay them upfront.

Thanks for your help

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

The premium they were asking with my place wasn't remotely worth it. Much more advantageous to get the standard appliances, sell them, and then go buy whatever I want on my own when something's on sale. That said, I've kept the standard Whirlpool stuff, because even though it is really basic, it works reliably well.

Generally the only upgrades you should get from a builder are the things that are a real hassle to add/upgrade later on, like a BBQ gas line, electrical/lighting, ceiling heights/textures, windows, etc.

Why would you put the appliances into your mortgage??

U want to pay a shitload of interest over the next x years for your appliances?

My Ride
    FB6

Well if you're going from a freestanding range to a built in cooktop/oven then obviously you should do it with the builder. Same goes with the fridge, especially the size of the cutout.

If it adds to the look and feel of the house and potentially add some value, I would just add it to the mortgage.

IMO

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by EK69

You're assuming he has the cash laying around to pay for the upgrade.

If he does have the cash are the two cases below any different?

1) Paying $10k now upgrading his appliances but putting $10k less for to his downpayment.

2) Putting the $10k appliance upgrade on the mortgage but increase the down payment by $10k?

Originally posted by EK69

The same reason the other upgrades go into your mortgage.

Originally posted by roopi

The same reason the other upgrades go into your mortgage.

Or u could b baller and pay both upgrades with cash.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

They charge about the same as retail...completely ignoring the fact that they were going to have to buy a fridge/stove/whatever to go there in the first place.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

^Interesting. My experience is only with Sterling/Pacesetter who use Trail Appliances - but I have always received a credit for builder standard appliances. And I get builder pricing when I choose upgrades and I pay the difference. Seems pretty straight forward.

I can't imagine any big name builder not giving you appliances credit when you want to upgrade.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Avi gave me credit for appliances, and the cost they charged for my gas range was a bit cheaper than retail at Trail. They charged me $1330 while retail was in the 1800 range, home depot has my range for about 1700 right now.

Once you are done you have a choice to pay upfront for the upgrade or you have to put a deposit down with the remainder due when the deal closes. If you go into your Myavihome.com website and look under the documents link there is more info on what you have to pay at a min once you are done your selections. This is how i know they changed stuff as they added a bunch of new docs while my house was being built.

Also, if you have not done so already go down on a Saturday for the open house they give you a little card that gives you like $100 or 200 as a bonus for your upgrades. Not much but it could pay for something minor.

One upgrade I totally forgot about and kicking my own ass for was extending the ledger board so I could have a larger deck without it being as big of a PITA when I build it.
    Last edited by BigDL; 10-01-2014 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

If you also want to shop around in price you can give the selections center person you are working with when doing selections the model numbers of what you want to get and they will give you the price it would cost for you.

Homes by AVI told me that i have options to have upgrade windows on top of the stairs.

it is 455 each. is it worth to have stairwell windows ( side wall ) ?please advise thanks

Originally posted by BigDL
    Avi gave me credit for appliances, and the cost they charged for my gas range was a bit cheaper than retail at Trail. They charged me $1330 while retail was in the 1800 range, home depot has my range for about 1700 right now.

Once you are done you have a choice to pay upfront for the upgrade or you have to put a deposit down with the remainder due when the deal closes. If you go into your Myavihome.com website and look under the documents link there is more info on what you have to pay at a min once you are done your selections. This is how i know they changed stuff as they added a bunch of new docs while my house was being built.

Also, if you have not done so already go down on a Saturday for the open house they give you a little card that gives you like $100 or 200 as a bonus for your upgrades. Not much but it could pay for something minor.

One upgrade I totally forgot about and kicking my own ass for was extending the ledger board so I could have a larger deck without it being as big of a PITA when I build it.
    Homes by AVI told me that i have options to have upgrade windows on top of the stairs.

it is 455 each. is it worth to have stairwell windows ( side wall ) ?please advise thanks

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by vkesava1

Depends on the plans, I did it in my place because it can give the second floor more light. That and for 455 it is something I can never upgrade in the future without costing a lot of money. Which area and floor plan did you get?
    Last edited by BigDL; 10-01-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Originally posted by BigDL

Depends on the plans, I did it in my place because it can give the second floor more light. That and for 455 it is something I can never upgrade in the future without costing a lot of money. Which area and floor plan did you get?
    I am building in Nolan hill calgary. you are right it gives more light to the second fl. thank you. i ll do it

how about the paints on exterior , do they have a list to choose or some sample exterior .

The exterior color selections are done at the sales centre in the community, certainly if there are architectural controls in place your exterior choices have to be approved first.

Not sure if that's changed now, but that's how it was when I worked with Avi years ago.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Originally posted by vkesava1

I am building in Nolan hill calgary. you are right it gives more light to the second fl. thank you. i ll do it

how about the paints on exterior , do they have a list to choose or some sample exterior .
    Hah nice I built here too.

Exterior stuff is done with Corey or Chris. Borrow their color pallet for the siding, soffets, eaves, and paint. Also if you see another house you like they can pull up the color info.

For stone work, I suggest driving around and see what you like and asking Corey what it is as they can pull that info up from the architectural control stuff that others have submitted. The colors in the book were a lot lighter than what I expected, wish I went with a darker color.

I can't remember which way it is but either the house color can not be the same with your 2 neighbors or within 2 houses on each side. And then elevations can't match either, but the limitation will be which ever the house color limitation is not. (2 neighbors or within 2 houses on each side)

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

/\

I believe house color and elevation cannot match.

I am in Nolan Hill as well; we build with Morrison though. My neighbour built a brown house with the most basic elevation (Morrison as well). Therefore i had to choose any other colour than brown and i had to upgrade my elevation.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Yeah both must be different but the difference is one is limited to the houses right next to yours and the other just been different between 2 houses down on both sides. So if your house is in the middle it would be group of 3 or 5. I just don't remember which limitation went with house color and which one with elevation .