Quantcast
MBA for business graduates - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MBA for business graduates

My Ride
    your mom

Default MBA for business graduates

I know the MBA has been discussed on here numerous times, but I'm curious to see what those who have actually completed it have to say about it. I see that Queen's has a one-year, part-time accelerated MBA program for business graduates in Calgary. It's super expensive and I know that you might lose some of the experience by doing the program at a remote campus, but the school is obviously well reputed and I think the paper would speak for itself. This isn't University of Phoenix...

I'm a recently designated CA with a BComm (Haskayne) who's looking to go the management route. I've left the CA firm for a more management-centric role in O&G services and I think that it's the direction that I want my career to go. I still like the finance side of things, but I know for sure that controller-type roles are not at all what I want. I'm much more interested in the investment strategy side of management than accounting.

I didn't really give a shit about grades in my BComm and relied on connections to get an articling job. In retrospect though, I see that being lackluster in school cost me some great gigs out of the gate and may have set me back a bit. I do have a good network of professional friends and with my CA, I have a very good foundation, but I don't know if that's enough. I want to chase the top C-Suite. I think that the MBA would be a boost to get me to where I want to go. While the increased earning potential is certainly a draw (even with the huge upfront cost of $75-80k), I also want to have all the right qualifications to get myself to the strategic decision making role I want.

So for those of you who have actually completed your MBA, why did you take it in the first place? Did it do what you wanted it to do? And were the career and financial gains of the program worth it?

Also, for getting to the line of work I'm interested in, is there any other route that I should be thinking about?

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

How long have you been post-grad? Many MBA programs will value the work experience you have when selecting you for their programs. If you have elite grades (which you mentioned you don't) you can take the MBA right away but even then I think you would get more value after being in the workforce for 5-8 years.
    Another bonus of waiting is to find an employer who will help you through the MBA. They may pay all or a portion of the costs in return for staying with them after you graduate.

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Personally I think there would be too much redundancy in an MBA for a commerce grad, CA. I think MBA's are great for engineers (or other non-business disciplines), but you should have seen most of the material already.

However the University of Alberta offer's a Master's in Financial Management that is designed for designated accountants (or CFA's). It is delivered out of their downtown Calgary campus, every other Friday/Saturday for 14 months.

Check out their website, or pm me if you have more questions.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by 2000Accord
    Personally I think there would be too much redundancy in an MBA for a commerce grad, CA. I think MBA's are great for engineers (or other non-business disciplines), but you should have seen most of the material already.

However the University of Alberta offer's a Master's in Financial Management that is designed for designated accountants (or CFA's). It is delivered out of their downtown Calgary campus, every other Friday/Saturday for 14 months.

Check out their website, or pm me if you have more questions.

It's not nessecarily the knowledge you gain from an MBA but the fact that you had a previous career, were experienced, and decided to take it to the next level and become a more effective business manager.

From what I hear there is a ton of crossover between BBA and MBA mostly because they are not targeting the same people.

My Ride
    your mom

Thanks for the replies! I finished my BComm in April 2009. So we just passed the 5 year mark in the summer. So I'm kind of trying to build the best package possible. I feel confident that I can get a mid 700's GMAT score, and with some work experience and a well recognized designation, I think I can put together a very decent application for the school.

I did wonder about the redundancy between my bachelor degree and the MBA program, but from what I've been finding the accelerated programs allows you to jump into the later part of the program while skipping the earlier introductory level course work.

I just doing some homework to decide if the 12 month part-time, accelerated MBA program is worth the price tag for where I want to go. Have any of you guys done a part-time program? If so, how did you find the networking benefits? I'm not concerned about the work-load as my O&G analyst job isn't too time intensive, and I'm used grinding from CASB.

I did look at the Master of Finance/Financial Management at a couple schools, but I wonder if they would be almost pigeon holing me into straight finance roles given the program's focus? While I like finance and want to keep that badge, do you guys thing the MFM or MFA programs would be more of an asset than an MBA from a top Canadian school?

Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by busdepot
    Thanks for the replies! I finished my BComm in April 2009. So we just passed the 5 year mark in the summer. So I'm kind of trying to build the best package possible. I feel confident that I can get a mid 700's GMAT score, and with some work experience and a well recognized designation, I think I can put together a very decent application for the school.

I did wonder about the redundancy between my bachelor degree and the MBA program, but from what I've been finding the accelerated programs allows you to jump into the later part of the program while skipping the earlier introductory level course work.

I just doing some homework to decide if the 12 month part-time, accelerated MBA program is worth the price tag for where I want to go. Have any of you guys done a part-time program? If so, how did you find the networking benefits? I'm not concerned about the work-load as my O&G analyst job isn't too time intensive, and I'm used grinding from CASB.

I did look at the Master of Finance/Financial Management at a couple schools, but I wonder if they would be almost pigeon holing me into straight finance roles given the program's focus? While I like finance and want to keep that badge, do you guys thing the MFM or MFA programs would be more of an asset than an MBA from a top Canadian school?
    Sounds like you would make a good fit! I knew a bunch of guy in school who had it in their heads they were going to take an MBA right after their BBA and move straight into corporate management

I myself am planning on taking an MBA of some kind after receiving my designation (PEng). Planning on using it as a litmus test for upward mobility (willing to help support/subsidize an MBA => willing for move into management type role).

Bumpity bump. Anyone got a MBA from a pristigious American program? This appeals to be because of the earning potential and I'd also like to relocate to the US. Seems like the networking opportunities would be plentiful enough to secure a high paying job down there. Thoughts?

I think the most beneficial part of getting an MBA is the network you gain. Its one degree where I really believe "prestige" actually matters. Cornell has a joint program with Queens, maybe check that out.

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Bumpity bump. Anyone got a MBA from a pristigious American program? This appeals to be because of the earning potential and I'd also like to relocate to the US. Seems like the networking opportunities would be plentiful enough to secure a high paying job down there. Thoughts?
    I have a close connection with a Stanford grad. He's had trouble finding work as a Canadian. The networks aren't enough to overcome citizenship. He's not a weird guy or anything. I was at his wedding and he has an amazing network with contacts you see in the news and people who truly are the movers and shakers. It's not a golden ticket.

Keep in mind merit also has something to do with it. Just because you have a good network doesn't mean you'll be a made man. Also, look at the graduating salaries. They're not that high from Top 10/Ivy League. $150k/year salary after graduating from a top tier isn't a good reason to take the program. You can make that in Calgary without cost of tuition and two year opportunity cost (>$300K). If you want your MBA for solely increasing your salary, you might be disappointed.

The best way to relocate to the US would be to transfer with a company to the US and apply for a green cards once you're on your TN-1 for at least a few years. Houston is nice this time of year

Im not an idiot...