Quantcast
Question on wheel spacers & vibration - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question on wheel spacers & vibration

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bump. Just wanted to share my current situation as well.

I bought some Rohana rims that don't clear the G37 Akebonos up front. Took them to Wheel Pros and they recommended 15mm spacers all around.

They didn't have any one-piece hubcentric spacers in stock so they had to sell separate wheel adapters and then a set of hubcenter rings much like the Ichiba photo that DeleriousZ posted, and then some hubrings to bring it from OEM 66.1 to 73.1 bore.

The only thing that I should have considered is getting a pair of H&R or Ichibas because they source their spacers from their Direct Auto Imports warehouse which look like universal products.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping that the 15mm spacers don't turn my G37 into a monster truck that looks like ass.
    Wheels pro tried to sell me rings to reduce my center bore of the my rims that were a bit too small and then said it should be fine....i wouldn't go there.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either. I tried called Urban X several times and it always just kept ringing. I didn't leave a message but maybe I should have. I just figured they couldn't have been so busy during COVID-19 that they don't answer the phones.

In any case, it's too late now because the parts were special order and I needed to pay up front.

Is there a size of spacer that some would consider too much? For instance, i see some OEM wheels are quite sunken and a 30mm or so spacer would be required to make the wheels flush. Is a size that large not recommended?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'm no pro but I think it depends on the type of vehicle. Trucks are always running massive spacers 1.5" and up.

For sports coupes, if you're running more than a 25mm spacer you've probably bought the wrong wheels or the wrong offset haha.

Typically flush fitment on OEM wheels are achieved with 15mm to 25mm spacers.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Is there a size of spacer that some would consider too much? For instance, i see some OEM wheels are quite sunken and a 30mm or so spacer would be required to make the wheels flush. Is a size that large not recommended?
    They’re never recommended... and when you get to the larger sizes the cost starts to creep towards such a large percentage of just buying better fitting wheels!

My Ride
    Exploded.

10mm spacers are nothing. As long as you have extended lugs, you shouldn't get vibration if the centerbore is tight.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

This is why I like the stock look of Audi and BMW. Close to flush OEM fitment and no huge wheel gaps.

On SUV's they tend to need a bit more, this is a 25mm spacer on an X5 sport with the wider rear arches.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Went to university with a guy who had a 1970's civic with insane poke. That guy was cool, that car was cool, so therefore, the poke must be cool. Spacerz r kuull.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either. I tried called Urban X several times and it always just kept ringing. I didn't leave a message but maybe I should have. I just figured they couldn't have been so busy during COVID-19 that they don't answer the phones.

In any case, it's too late now because the parts were special order and I needed to pay up front.
    Which Urban X were you calling? I always have good luck getting in touch with Bob in the North. Sometimes takes a try or two to get through, but I don't recall not being able to get through, period. If it doesn't work, I just call back in 20 min.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    They’re never recommended... and when you get to the larger sizes the cost starts to creep towards such a large percentage of just buying better fitting wheels!
    Why not though? It's the same as having lower offset wheels as far as the hub/bearings/etc is concerned. Is it just because it's one extra piece sandwiched in between?

I mean I always just buy wheels that have the correct fitment, just playing devils advocate here.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Which Urban X were you calling? I always have good luck getting in touch with Bob in the North. Sometimes takes a try or two to get through, but I don't recall not being able to get through, period. If it doesn't work, I just call back in 20 min.
    Honestly, I tried calling Bob's store like 3 times at different times of day on separate days. Not trying to sound salty, just to be clear. I could have left a message and chose not to.

Bob's done great work for me in the past so naturally he was my first choice but after the 3rd no pickup, I couldn't be bothered to try again.

I agree with getting the right wheels the first time around. I really had my eyes set on specific wheels so I was determined to get them haha.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 05-06-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2