Quantcast
Canmore - sights, roads, eats? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canmore - sights, roads, eats?

Default Canmore - sights, roads, eats?

As a tourist destination theres obviously lots to see and do, anyone have any suggestions? Looking for some good eats and maybe a nice road with a view or two?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Concerning eats, i have to recommend Crazyweed. If i am ever in the area, i always try to ensure that is the place i sit down to fill up.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Concerning eats, i have to recommend Crazyweed. If i am ever in the area, i always try to ensure that is the place i sit down to fill up.
    I dunno man, last time I had crazy weed I wound up eating $10 worth of nickel candy.

My Ride
    Lariat

rocky mountian flatbread company does some great pizzas, lots of other great places to eat.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Don't eat at the edit: grizzly paw pub. Food is mediocre at best, beer and food are way too pricey for what it is. Frick, I'm trying to remember the name of this two level cafe me and the gf went to years ago, damn it was good. All I remember is it had a lime green banner right off the main drag. I've heard crazy weed is damn good but have yet to try it
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 10-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

edit: haha ^ different experiences

My favorite place is The Grizzly Paw.

http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/

They have their own beer and sodas. Real cream soda or cherry cola is freaking awesome. I always have them over the beer haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Go to The Summit for breakfast, hike EEOR, Ha Ling, Lady McDonald or just cruise through Cougar Creek, and hit up Grizzly Paw's elk burger for supper with raspberry ale (or the grapefruit soda, it's incredibly refreshing).

Perfection!
    Ultracrepidarian

Iron Goat >>> Grizzley Paw

Way better restraunt IMO.

My Ride
    GSR

Don't go to Crazyweed on a Tuesday, booked online reservations there for my GF and I's anniversary. We get there and it was closed

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Iron goat is much better than Grizzly Paw if you are looking for "good" pub food.

I've always been treated great at crazyweed.

Rocky Mountain Flatbread is great, bring your kids, it's very popular with families. The flip side of this is that you should go later if you want a more adult experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Grassi Lakes for an easy hike. Bike The Legacy Trail to Banff starting from the McDonalds.

I've been to La Belle Patate, Crazy Weed and Grizzly Paw and agree that you really can't go terribly wrong with these. I'll have to try Iron Goat next time.

My Ride

As far as things to do, lots of great hiking and cycling to do around the spray lakes area. Take the road up to the Canmore Nordic center and keep going, it'll eventually plunk you onto highway 40. From there while on highway 40, hang a left (north) and it'll put you back on highway 1 after you pass the Delta lodge in kananaskis. Leave Canmore with a full tank of gas though, it's a windy gravel road until you get to highway 40, with little or no cell phone service, and it's quite rough until you get to spray lakes.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

As far as things to do, lots of great hiking and cycling to do around the spray lakes area. Take the road up to the Canmore Nordic center and keep going, it'll eventually plunk you onto highway 40. From there when at the t intersection for highway 40, hang a left (north) and it'll put you back on highway 1 after you pass the Delta lodge in kananaskis. Leave Canmore with a full tank of gas though, it's a windy gravel road until you get to highway 40, with little or no cell phone service, and it's quite rough until you get to spray lakes. When you get up there though, it's quite beautiful.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

As for eats...crazyweed, iron goat, Sage Bistro and for a really good breakfast...French Quarter Café (creole eggs benny) For a good cheap greasy breakfast Craig's and ask for the locals special.. 2 eggs, lots of bacon, hash browns, toast and lots of coffee!!!

As for sightseeing. Hike the grassy lakes, take the hard trail up so you walk right by the waterfall. Beautiful lakes at the top. Drive the spray lakes road and go visit and have lunch at Mt. Engadine Lodge, about half way to Kananaskis. Great wildlife on this gravel road, moose are common around the lodge. As mentioned earlier have a full tank of gas though.
    Another nice area is cougar creek. Hike up the creek and see all the work they have done since the flood and check out some rock climbers. Really pretty hike.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

^ French Quarter Cafe and Craigs Way Station are great, inexpensive, greasy treats. Love those spots. Summit Cafe has great breakfasts too but it gets busy, so go early.

Iron Goat and Stoney's Pub at Silvertip have wicked patios, Silvertip is still my fav. The patio overlooks the 18th hole which also looks up on to Lady Mac. http://www.silvertipresort.com/dinin...-and-grill.php

If you're looking for higher-end dining, the Trough downtown is wicked, but make reservations. I've been to the Grizzly Paw a couple times and was never impressed
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Never disappointed with Crazyweed. Go there at least twice a year.

Tried this place after everyone hyped it up and tbh it was just ok. I'm the type of guy that prefers poutine as a small side though, to eat poutine as an entire meal is a bit much for me(yes i know im a pussy)

My Ride
    Wristshots

No mention of Beamers or Rocky Mountain Bagel yet? Either are great for breakfast. Iron Goat and Grizzly Paw are both solid, though the latter is getting rather slammed these days.

There are tons of great hikes off Spray Lakes Road, tons elsewhere as well.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

We tried the French Quarter Cafe not too long ago. Shrimp bisque and seafood salad , the chef knows how to cook seafood.
    I don't know if there is another New Orleans place in the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast