Quantcast
Need some advice on electric shavers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on electric shavers?

Question Need some advice on electric shavers?

Hi guy's

Looking into getting a new electric shaver. What is out there that is good? I have no idea how good they are compared to razor blades?

When i was young, i tried one of my dad's philips electric shaver, it pulled my hair so bad i got turned off by them. I been using a Razor blade for 25 years now.

I am looking into getting one for my father for christmas and i think my wife is looking for one to buy me.

No budget really. What should i look for when buying one. I have a sensitive skin, my dad does not. I am worried about rashes with it. Do they still pull your facial hair?

Any info would be great on what kind you guy's use and how you like them.

thanks,

cheers,

Personally I hate electric razors, a blade is much faster and does a much better job.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Pinner
    Personally I hate electric razors, a blade is much faster and does a much better job.
    +1

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

It's been about 10 years since I've used one, so perhaps the technology has drastically changed since then......but the ones I have used (Phillips, Norelco, Remmington) all caused my face to burn/itch for hours after a shave. I do have a fairly thick, coarse beard, so that could be a contributing factor.

I started shaving with a DE safety razor and will never, ever use an electric razor again.

I agree with all of the above.

My Ride
    V8s

I have a Braun Series 7 and I'm actually able to get a closer shave with this than a traditional razor. I have pretty sensitive skin, and the first couple times it was rashy, but your skin gets used to it. It's expensive in comparison, but I don't mind it. The time it takes to shave (if you shave every day or two) is roughly the same as a traditional razor. The series 7 also cleans itself and has a charging base.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

The thing I find with electric shavers is that you have to go over the same spot 1000000 times to get all the hairs, and even then the damn thing doesn't get everything.
    I can't stand electric razors.

My Ride
    Honda Accord

I have a phillips electric that now collects dust. Much faster / cleaner to use a safety razor.
    Go Flames!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Many people seem to think the newer Braun 7 series performs very well.

I just cant see myself spending 300$ on a device as opposed to a 12$, 4-bladed Shick razor (my favourite).

Thank's guys,

I think i will tell my wife to hold off on buying me one. I think i will stick with my Gillette Razors.

My old man still uses the electric shavers though. Is Braun Better than Philips or they are both the same quality?

Thanks,

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by revelations

I just cant see myself spending 300$ on a device as opposed to a 12$, 4-bladed Shick razor (my favourite).
    For $12, I can get 120 DE razor blades that last a week each.

My skin is the opposite of most guys' -- if I were to use a regular (safety) razor every day, I'd probably bleed to death.

I've been using a 5 year old Braun 3 series and I notice that it performs much better if I make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use, and replace the cutter and foil every 6 to 12 months.

When I shave with a Gilette and foam, I do get a slightly closer shave, and the stubble doesn't reappear as quickly as with the electric.

The electric is more convenient in that I can walk around in the morning and shave, and even take it with me in the car (but not while driving) if necessary -- that's not possible with a safety razor and foam.

I experience tugging and pulling with the electric if the stubble is too long. I can't have more than 1 or 2 days' growth if I want to use the electric. If it's longer than that, I pull out the safety and foam.

Last note: for me, the electric works best when my beard is dry and before I have my shower. This is in contrast to the safety and foam, which works better after my shower has softened my skin and beard.

Oh, and I'm definitely an older member of the board, and even after 30 years of shaving, my shaving experiences are the same now as when I started in puberty LOL

LOL @ the DE safety razor crowd that has trolled this thread.

Remington foil shavers are by far the best.

I have one and it shaves CLOSE. I got it for around $120 5-6 years ago and it is still going strong.

I personally don't mind the odd wet shave (like a woman enjoying a manicure/pedicure), but I prefer the convenience of electric especially when the shave is close enough that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I recently cashed in my Petro Points for a Phillips Nivea For Men. It dispenses shaving cream whilst using, if you want. I have sensitive skin, so I thought his will be a good idea. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

Last edited by freshprince1; 12-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

I've tried all brands/styles of electric razors and they do an abysmal job. They also irritate the hell out of my face.

A long time ago I switched to razors and I'll never go back. A Costco pack of Gillette Mach 3 disposable razors last me well over a year and it's like $20 or something. They take forever to get dull enough that it bothers me.

I can easily shave in 2 minutes with a razor and get a way better shave than an electric razor could ever give in 20 min.

For some people though electrics work OK, but after using a razor I can't imagine why someone would want to shave for longer for a shave that isn't as close.

I've been using the Braun 5-series razor for a year now, and before that had a Remington Titanium (3 foils) for a number of years. The Braun is much nicer than the Remington, and it works extremely well. As others have stated, it doesn't get nearly as close a shave as a regular razor, but it's really close. I find that using a razor and foam/creme irritates my skin, whereas electric doesn't.

For those of you who find an electric razor irritates, did you make your decision about them after only one use? Your skin will take about 1-2 weeks (as a number of sources say) to get comfortable with an electric razor. If you want to know for sure how you like them, you have to use one consistently for a few weeks.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Bumping this up as my Panasonic finally died after cant even remember 10-13 years of use.

Looking into the Arc 3 and Arc 5. Anyone got these? How are the Braun these days
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How are the Braun these days
    I like my Braun 7. Have alternated from Philips to Braun twice in my shaving life. Braun is my current fave.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    I like my Braun 7. Have alternated from Philips to Braun twice in my shaving life. Braun is my current fave.
    Grabbed one today at Costco but really leaning towards the Panasonic cuz its JDM
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Currently using a brain series 9 as my daily. Does a good job, personally the brauns suck unless you buy in and get the clean and renew base use the fluid packs.

Performance drops off a cliff when you don’t use it
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast