Quantcast
Saving on Brokerage Fee Guide - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Saving on Brokerage Fee Guide

My Ride

Default Saving on Brokerage Fee Guide

Sharing my past experiences of buying things from the states:
    Of course avoiding UPS /Fedex ground is one way of avoiding crazy brokerage fees. However, sometimes the upgrade to USPS, Express etc. is too expensive. Here are some of the things I have learnt over the years.

a. Shipping to Montana and picking it up yourself:
    This method is well known in the Beyond community. The place that I usually use has now shut down but Montana Shipping Outlet has served me well so far.

Pros: Costs nothing if you have the time
    You can buy items that do not usually ship to Canada
    Cons: Very time consuming
    Gas money
    Boring drive
    Need an up to date Passport

Steps:
    1. Open an account with Montana Shipping outlet
    2. Order your items using either UPS or Fedex Ground
    3. Ship your items following the address and format shown on MSO’s website
    4. Drive down and clear your taxes yourself at the border
    5. Make sure you bring your passport and all invoices. They tend to doubt the legitimacy of your purchases sometimes.

b. Self-clearing using the LVS program (only applies for shipments under $1600)

Pros: Costs the least
    You don’t spend too much time
    Cons: Slightly time consuming
    CBSA has government business hours

Steps:
    1. Order your items using either UPS or Fedex Ground
    2. Wait for the item to reach Calgary and refuse the package when they try the first delivery attempt
    3. Call UPS/Fedex and ask for the documents to self-clear (mainly the commercial
    invoice). They will email this to you after some delay.
    4. Do not take BS that you have to be at the border with the package to clear it yourself.
    5. Take the documents to
    CBSA
    Unit 162, 175 Aero Way NE
    Calgary, Alberta T2E 6K2
    They will look at your invoices and let you pay the taxes you owe. They will then stamp some documents and a B15 for UPS/Fedex to see. Usually, you have to fax the stamped documents back to the UPS/Fedex before they release the package. I have gotten away by going directly to UPS/Fedex down the street and picking my packages up directly.
    6. Enjoy your purchase

c. Hiring a customs broker

Pros: Requires the least amount of time compared to the others
    Cons: Either $34.95 or $49.95 to do your paper work

Steps:
    2. Before the package hits the border, you can open an account with www.clearit.ca
    3. Fill out their documents and start your order by entering your tracking number
    4. UPS will call you and ask for permission to clear your packages. That’s when you tell them to pound sand and fax your commercial invoice to clearit (1.888.794.2775)
    5. I called UPS for a copy of the documents just in case since their call centre doesn’t speak English as their first language.
    6. Either have your credit card on file with clearit or pay when you see that your package has cleared.
    7. Wait for package to arrive at your front door.
    Last edited by Projek01; 10-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    15 4runner

Great info, thanks for posting this. I'm looking at ordering a 6 foot roof rack for my vehicle, item value $850 US. $350 for shipping. With the MSO method you have to have their shipping address on your credit card?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by 2chains
    With the MSO method you have to have their shipping address on your credit card?
    No, shipping address and billing address are typically separated when ordering anything online.

My Ride
    15 4runner

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.

Is this still the way to self clear your package from FedEx?
    Do I have to wait until item reaches Calgary? Can I get it going as soon as he ships it?

Steps:
    2. Wait for the item to reach Calgary and refuse the package when they try the first delivery attempt
    3. Call UPS/Fedex and ask for the documents to self-clear (mainly the commercial
    4. Do not take BS that you have to be at the border with the package to clear it yourself.
    5. Take the documents to
    CBSA
    Calgary, Alberta T2E 6K2
    They will look at your invoices and let you pay the taxes you owe. They will then stamp some documents and a B15 for UPS/Fedex to see. Usually, you have to fax the stamped documents back to the UPS/Fedex before they release the package. I have gotten away by going directly to UPS/Fedex down the street and picking my packages up directly.
    6. Enjoy your purchase

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this still the way to self clear your package from FedEx?
    Do I have to wait until item reaches Calgary? Can I get it going as soon as he ships it?

Steps:
    5. Take the documents to
    CBSA
    Calgary, Alberta T2E 6K2
    6. Enjoy your purchase

Had to do this last week. Bought a projector screen on sale (from some US online place), then I got a call from a freight place "on behalf of UPS" (per sa) called Canada Cartage super nice supervisor that dealt with my package even encouraged me to clear my own instead of hiring any clearing companies.

It was so time consuming, going to CBSA customs (I miss the 32 Ave NE old location, that's pretty much the last time I cleared my own package when I was young-er trying to save $)... anyway, CBSA chick officer was cute I'd say late 20's... used my PAL as ID, she asked me what kinda I had, showed her pics, etc... Got stamped, paid cashier.

Now the annoying part was, my parcel isn't with "UPS" or FedEx at airport. Canada Cartage deep south, like literally Okotoks South, ok not that far, like perfect for those South Hospital deep South people type of South.

Took me a span of 2 different days to do all this cause after CBSA at airport, I was too tired and getting old, so I did something else in the North end after CBSA step. Then the following day, made it as a deep South hang out day picking up the actual package.

Now I gotta find a property that can handle a 150" projector.

Great! Thanks for the update.

My Ride
    4Runner

Sorry to bump an old thread up, but how about if you bought rims from a private seller to be shipped to the sweet grass location. What kind of documentation do you need to show at the border, im guessing messages from the seller, SHipment reciept? Looking to order some rims from the US and some other car parts and take advantage of the free shipping they have over there