Quantcast
Best d.d. Under 20k Japanese - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best d.d. Under 20k Japanese

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I am a big fan of the Fit, and my DD was one for about 3 years... love the car, but never again as a DD.

It is too light in the winter (even with snow tires) and not enough ground clearance.

A solid DD for Calgary needs to be heavier and preferably AWD
    Yea it's true but it's good for 95%+ of the days we have.

Now if the the 4wd jdm version drivetrain was here it would solve both the weight and Awd problem.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

+1 for s15 lol.

or, if you want something a little different, go for a stagea. If you get the type 2 they can come with the rb25det neo engine, they're wagons so they're super practical and most of them are AWD, great for winters lol.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

TL AWD-SH would be my vote but I'm biased lol.

Super hard to do but if you can land a 2010 6sp its a rad car.

305hp and manual Honda goodness. If you're interested let me know. It won't be for 20 though
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2005 S50

Like the 2 s15 ideas.
    Don't think Honda fit is as fun to drive, as other options.
    Like the stagea and wrx ideas too.
    Can anyone weight in on wrx vs. Sti reliability?

Alot of frs love out but I always see so many for sale soon after purchase. Why? Educate me please.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Mike09
    Like the 2 s15 ideas.
    Don't think Honda fit is as fun to drive, as other options.
    Like the stagea and wrx ideas too.
    Can anyone weight in on wrx vs. Sti reliability?

Alot of frs love out but I always see so many for sale soon after purchase. Why? Educate me please.
    I can weigh in on this a little. I currently own a 2014 BRZ and a 2002 WRX sedan. The BRZ has a stock powed train and a ton of suspension, wheel and tire and brake mods. The WRX is stage 2 (cat less up and down pipes, Cobb 94 tune), coilovers, minor brake upgrades, minor transmission upgrades, welded rear diff and LSD up front.

Between them, the WRX kills the BRZ in a straight line and on the street. The BRZ actually rides better, and is put together much better as expected. The WRX is noisier and creaky and a bit more challenging to drive around town but the boost just makes it so much fun. Going ten tenths both cars are great fun, which one is faster around a track or auto x, is anyone's guess. My biggest concern with my BRZ is the lack of torque and power especially around town. You really have to be going flat out to enjoy the car. Its ok on the highway though. The WRX is mostly fun anywhere. I have no idea what I am doing with either car currently, both have their ups and downs.

I'm still happy with my STi, which I feel is the ultimate year-round Calgary DD under 30k. Yes there have been engine issues in certain years like anything else, the good news is they're pretty easy to take care of. If you can find one that's spent most of its life with a good tune, you're golden. The factory tune caused a lot of issues on the 08+ models but even an OTS Cobb tune would alleviate that.

Plus, 300hp, AWD and the ability to control the AWD like no other is priceless to me.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    I'm still happy with my STi, which I feel is the ultimate year-round Calgary DD under 30k. Yes there have been engine issues in certain years like anything else, the good news is they're pretty easy to take care of. If you can find one that's spent most of its life with a good tune, you're golden. The factory tune caused a lot of issues on the 08+ models but even an OTS Cobb tune would alleviate that.

Plus, 300hp, AWD and the ability to control the AWD like no other is priceless to me.
    Honestly I regret not buying a STi when I had the chance a few years ago, I feel like I would still have it and be enjoying it now rather than cycling through lots of other cars.

what about a Mazda 3? or somethign from Hyundai?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by killramos

Damn good car! And you can get a new one loaded for 20...
    Closer to 25K before discounts OTR for a loaded 2015.

My Ride
    G37X

G35 for sure..doesn't the frs/brz still have a joke of an aftermarket? I've heard those cars are very unresponsive to bolt ons. brz is a nice looking car though for that market.

Or perhaps a Sentra/Altima SE-R. I've always thought those would be a fun DD.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 10-12-2014 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    G35 for sure..doesn't the frs/brz still have a joke of an aftermarket? I've heard those cars are very unresponsive to bolt ons. brz is a nice looking car though for that market.

Or perhaps a Sentra/Altima SE-R. I've always thought those would be a fun DD.
    It's just as good as any other NA car. You can gain probably 15% hp with just bolt ons and a tune.

Can't touch turbo'd cars where just a tune gives you gobs of free power though.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by pheoxs

It's just as good as any other NA car. You can gain probably 15% hp with just bolt ons and a tune.

Can't touch turbo'd cars where just a tune gives you gobs of free power though.
    Almost true. The only other NA car in its class RAPES it for bolt on power. Guess which?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    EG6

Our 98 legacy is still like ass with only minor work being done over the years. Have you looked at any Tommy K. Forrester or Imprezas? A coworker down at distinctive collection had a bat shit crazy Tommy Impreza and it tooled a bunch of the older 911s and M3s.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:35 PM.

a newer tsx would be nice.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Originally posted by Darkane

Almost true. The only other NA car in its class RAPES it for bolt on power. Guess which?
    06-11 Civic Si. I'm strongly considering one.

Because K series. Solid cars. Not the best handling but pretty damn good for no DWB's (Macs up front/torsion bar rear ... damn you Honda) but one hell of a motor with endless aftermarket support that even Ariel Atom uses it. Interior is pretty nice, too. Manual gearbox as usual for a Honda, has bolt action sniper rifle precision feel to it. I/E/H/KPro 220whp and its giving all the 250-350hp turbo cars a run for their money.

I keep seeing G35...ugh, what's the big deal other than aesthetics? Pig on gas, heavy, slow, stock brakes suck unless it has the Brembo package. Interior is "meh". Sounds pretty mean I guess. Rev-Up engine problematic/excessive oil consumption.
    Last edited by tehwegz; 10-22-2014 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    2005 S50

I see why people like the G35. Although just sold my 2005G35 last year so likely would not buy another.
    The G35 is a great daily driver if you get a good condition one. Good aftermarket (same as Z), awesome drivability and reliable.
    I think the FRS/BRZ, S15 spec r or STI 08+ are still my best options and the ones I like the most.
    Appreciate all of the input given. thank you.

Originally posted by tehwegz

06-11 Civic Si. I'm strongly considering one.

Because K series. Solid cars. Not the best handling but pretty damn good for no DWB's (Macs up front/torsion bar rear ... damn you Honda) but one hell of a motor with endless aftermarket support that even Ariel Atom uses it. Interior is pretty nice, too. Manual gearbox as usual for a Honda, has bolt action sniper rifle precision feel to it. I/E/H/KPro 220whp and its giving all the 250-350hp turbo cars a run for their money.

I keep seeing G35...ugh, what's the big deal other than aesthetics? Pig on gas, heavy, slow, stock brakes suck unless it has the Brembo package. Interior is "meh". Sounds pretty mean I guess. Rev-Up engine problematic/excessive oil consumption.
    The problem with NA cars like the Si is the ~20% HP reduction at our altitude. The turbo cars with less HP would probably destroy it, and are way cheaper to tune ($500 flash). Great little car, it's just so slow! When I drove it back to back with a regular civic, I found the regular civic felt faster during normal driving since the power peaks are a little lower. Handling, shiftier, & everything else was fantastic in the Si - I just didn't like how that motor delivered power.

My Ride
    V8s

What about a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T? A buddy of mine has one, upgraded Intercooler, intake, exhaust, flash, and it puts down some great reliable power. And it was less than 20k, incl two sets of wheels/tires.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The problem with NA cars like the Si is the ~20% HP reduction at our altitude. The turbo cars with less HP would probably destroy it, and are way cheaper to tune ($500 flash). Great little car, it's just so slow! When I drove it back to back with a regular civic, I found the regular civic felt faster during normal driving since the power peaks are a little lower. Handling, shiftier, & everything else was fantastic in the Si - I just didn't like how that motor delivered power.

To each their own.

I find my civic has just enough mid-range to make it a very livable and fun daily driver. And I love to make it scream to 8500rpm. They are great little cars for sure.

Agreed about the altitude losses. To bad. But end of the day, its not always about the power that makes a car fun. It is the experience of driving and revving it out and that sorta stuff. For me anyway. But then again power is still irreplaceable which is why I have the c63 lol.
    Last edited by Redlined_8000; 10-22-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast