Quantcast
Damsel in distress! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Damsel in distress!

My Ride
    nothing

Talking Damsel in distress!

Hi Girls (and guys)

I got your attention didn't I guys lol.

I recently bought a 87 CRX Si for really cheap and in excellent condition from a kid who couldn't afford and didn't want to fix the thing. The timing belt broke and really screwed up the head and other engine components. It's not worth fixing!

I found a heck of a lot of threads for the 88's but not that many for the 87's. Are they that different? (remember, I'm a VW girl) But I guess that the same engines can go into both cars. I'm not sure, that's why I'm here

I would really like to know the diffeneces between all of the B series motors B16A,B; B17A; B18A,B,C; B20B. I have found a ton of websites with complete specs on each of those engines so I don't need the HP and Torque etc... I would like in anyones opinion which is the better way to go.

I was also wondering if any of those B series motors bolt on to the tranny that's already in the car. If not, I found a guy here in town that has a B16 VTECH DOHC motor/tranny with intake/exhaust manifolds, and ECU for $2300. Is that a good price? Also, if it doesn't bolt on, what axles/hubs do I need?

Also, I found the Hasport website to be very useful in findind the mounts and ECU conversions I need but they are little expenxive. If anyone knows of any other companies that are just as good but a little cheaper that would be great!

Any input is VERY APPRECIATED

Thanks in advance!

racer chick

My Ride
    240sx, 300c, turbo TE72, FG1 Civic, Pilot

easiest swap=d16a1 from the first generation integra. it has 20 more hp than the motor in your car now. it is a straight bolt in, and since your car is already fuel injected, wiring isn't too difficult. you will need the tranny also. there are no swaps available without getting the tranny also, and the b-series motors are a tough and tight fit into the crx's. the 87- and 88+ are completely different, from the engine to suspension, nothing interchanges. the engine mounts are different, especially on the drivers side, where the 88+ mount inside the timing belt, whereas the older models mount on the front corner of the motor. if place racing does not make mounts and you find hasport too expensive, you are left to either make them yourself, or to scrap the swap idea.

a good resource is redpepperracing.com?

good luck!

ph: 403.248.1566
    email: [email protected]

Supertech, Link ECU, ViPec, Nistune, Competition Clutch, Nardi, Personal, Worksbell, Seibon, VIS, Shine Auto Project, Agency Power, Status, Full-Race, Stillen, Mazworx,
    Megan Racing, Zedd Performance, Varrstoen

Try ebay for mounts too. The D16a1 is the easiest route/

My Ride
    nothing

Originally posted by brbHPR
    easiest swap=d16a1 from the first generation integra. it has 20 more hp than the motor in your car now. it is a straight bolt in, and since your car is already fuel injected, wiring isn't too difficult. you will need the tranny also. there are no swaps available without getting the tranny also, and the b-series motors are a tough and tight fit into the crx's. the 87- and 88+ are completely different, from the engine to suspension, nothing interchanges. the engine mounts are different, especially on the drivers side, where the 88+ mount inside the timing belt, whereas the older models mount on the front corner of the motor. if place racing does not make mounts and you find hasport too expensive, you are left to either make them yourself, or to scrap the swap idea.

a good resource is redpepperracing.com?

good luck!
    Thanks alot for your prompt response! I do have a few more questions if that's alright?

First, what tranny should I be looking to get that would fit the D16A1?

Second, what make/model/year of car does that type of motor come out of?

Thanks again for all of your help! I appreciate lots!

it comes out of first generation integras (pop up headlight integras)

you COULD swap a b series engine in, but you have to swap the subframe and steering rack and all sorts of crap.

My Ride
    nothing

I was just on ebay and I found a D16a head from a 86-89 teg. It looks like its a DOHC, Is that right?

thats the one

My Ride
    nothing

Thanks a whole bunch to everybody that helped me! brbHPR,PsI and method

There is a ZC head here in edmonton at the PYP. I could take it off for a small price

My Ride
    nothing

what price are you thinking?

My Ride
    Civic . . .

Default Re: Damsel in distress!

Originally posted by racer_____chick
    Hi Girls (and guys)

I found a heck of a lot of threads for the 88's but not that many for the 87's. Are they that different? (remember, I'm a VW girl) But I guess that the same engines can go into both cars. I'm not sure, that's why I'm here

racer chick
    The difference is 87 is 1st gen crx, which were more box looking then 2nd gen, and 88 is 2nd gen.
    never argue with idiots, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!