Quantcast
What do you miss from 10-12 years ago and what do you not? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you miss from 10-12 years ago and what do you not?

My Ride
    K20A2

what i miss is home cooked meals at home and not having to go to work to pay bills
    Built with Chopsticks

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:42 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by killramos

Also getting in a good old fashioned argument with friends without someone fact checking on google. Best part of camping in the US.
    I'm kind of hit or miss on this. My girlfriend always gets upset with me when we have an argument that involves information and I do this.

We have an amazing resource at our finger tips; just because you feel like you should be right when I can prove you wrong doesn't mean you can be upset with me

I find that I don't remember stuff like I used to (and I'm only 26). I don't feel the need for rote memorization as that info is readily available. When I was a kid, I could tell you anything about any 1955-1974 vehicle EVER. Going to swap meets and car shows, and this 12 year old kid is having conversations with the adults and knows more.

Nowadays, it doesn't really matter as that shit is readily available.

Another thing that I don't necessarily miss, but is interesting, is how HARD IT IS to stand out nowadays. "Normal" is the new different. Especially noticeable when I hear people bitch about mon-fri 9-5 jobs and I'm all "people have dreamed about those sorts of jobs for the past 6 decades".

So I dunno. As a white male in 'berta country, the world is my oyster. I literally have no fears about not being able to live an awesome life, so things aren't so bad. I just need to get out to an acreage, because f*&k people.

Oh, one more thing: prevalence of drugs in society.

Yes, drugs have always been a thing (in fact, most drug use and alcohol abuse are going down) but I get SICK of it being shoved in my face. I don't do drugs, I never have, and I don't agree with using them. But it pisses me off when every other song on the radio (my girlfriend was driving for once so she had it on country) mentions gettin' high and shitfaced.

At least classic rock was a little more subtle about it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I miss when everybody universally used MSN to keep in touch, when Blackberries were the bomb and a source of Canadian pride instead of a joke, also Napster.

I also miss when social media wasn't as big and every little thing wasn't recorded on a cell phone camera to be used as evidence or a source of humiliation later on; Facebook/Google+ suck, too many chat apps out there now to keep track and everybody uses something different.

What I don't miss;

my Nokia cell phone, haha

Early 2000 CGI

Coaxial networks
    BB FTW

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm kind of hit or miss on this. My girlfriend always gets upset with me when we have an argument that involves information and I do this.

We have an amazing resource at our finger tips; just because you feel like you should be right when I can prove you wrong doesn't mean you can be upset with me

I don't care about being right but enjoyed discussing something rather than : wikipedia says your wrong, end of convo. Once upon a time there was value to knowing things, not so much any more. Which is why people are so stupid these days. They don't have any interest in learning things right up until the minute they need the information.

Think about how many people cant change a tire when they are out in the bush and dont have youtube to help them...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Some impressive positivity shown here. lol.

Ah yes 10-12 years ago. Had no job... in Gr. 9. Riding dirtbikes all weekend and weeknight. Sledding in the winter... it was a simpler time.

On another note... funny thing about vehicle prices. Some older folk have told me that the cost of buying a new vehicle has come down since then... but it seems like vehicles are more expensive than ever on the lot.
    NEW vehicle prices are fairly constant, however, USED prices are insane, as are Kijiji prices for used.

I remember back in the day, a vehicle with over 200k on it basically was a hard sell and you practically had to give it away. Now, there is a member on here trying to sell a SUV with 240k on it for 3500... I know some vehicles are meant to last longer, but still, I have that 200k number stuck in my mind.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't care about being right but enjoyed discussing something rather than : wikipedia says your wrong, end of convo. Once upon a time there was value to knowing things, not so much any more. Which is why people are so stupid these days. They don't have any interest in learning things right up until the minute they need the information.

Think about how many people cant change a tire when they are out in the bush and dont have youtube to help them...
    I agree with this, however, I take offense when the other side is not willing to participate in the discussion and learn from the knowledge you (the other party in the discussion) may have.

I feel like that is something that has been lost; the art of conversation. I love a good ol' discussion with opposing views, but the moment someone basically goes "statement" and then "don't bother saying what you have to say as I am not interested" makes me want to punch babies.

As for the learning part; everyone has to start somewhere when learning something. If a person has never changed a tire in their life (or maybe just recently started driving) how do they learn to change a tire? Either the school of hard knocks (do it yourself, hope you don't screw it up) or read up on it (youtube). Both are valid ways of learning. I never agree with working hard when you can work smart. Working hard SOMETIMES teaches you the value in working smart however.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by spikerS

NEW vehicle prices are fairly constant,
    Yes and no. New prices seem about the same, BUT you get WAYYYY more bells and whistles for the same price.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

As for the learning part; everyone has to start somewhere when learning something. If a person has never changed a tire in their life (or maybe just recently started driving) how do they learn to change a tire? Either the school of hard knocks (do it yourself, hope you don't screw it up) or read up on it (youtube). Both are valid ways of learning. I never agree with working hard when you can work smart. Working hard SOMETIMES teaches you the value in working smart however.
    The problem is youtube etc on your cell phone. I think the early days of the internet for information where you sat down on a computer to look things up was a nice balance and good useof the internet.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well, I also find that people whose sole source of information is from old media and immediate social circle has a very limited knowledge too. And that affect their analyrical abilities.

I think knowledge is still valued. Just everyone is more of a critic now as they can call your BS on the spot.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

i miss cheap home prices. should have bought a few more or 10 more lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    [/B]
    was it possible to split a coax cable as many times as you need as long as there was a termination card?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Xtrema

And that affect their analyrical abilities.
    Like the ability to sing a very complicated song about physics?

My Ride
    G37X

Most "men" nowadays (late teens to twenties) seem to be more concerned about their hair-do and instagram account than how to change the oil in their car. Or anything hands on/mechanical. It's like talking to a wall lol.

I love starting conversations in the elevator with people who have their cell phone glued to them all awkward trying to avoid talking to anyone. It's kind of a hobby at my condo building.
    That, and shoulder checking texters at chinook haha.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

That, and shoulder checking texters at chinook haha.
    I shoulder check anyone that gets too close and isn't paying attention to where they are going. Baygirl laughs. The few times anyone has called me out on it, I just respond with "gee, i guess neither of us were paying attention huh?"
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by spikerS

I shoulder check anyone that gets too close and isn't paying attention to where they are going. Baygirl laughs. The few times anyone has called me out on it, I just respond with "gee, i guess neither of us were paying attention huh?"
    You like picking arguments you prick!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

what are shoulder checking texters

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Like the ability to sing a very complicated song about physics?

Originally posted by thetransporter
    what are shoulder checking texters

I imagine this is spikerS over someone's shoulder.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-14-2014 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

^ does it mean to snoop at someones phone to see what they are typing??

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by thetransporter
    ^ does it mean to snoop at someones phone to see what they are typing??
    It means to be a dick and slightly run into someone if you see them looking down at their phone while walking even though you could avoid them.

AKA a good way to get punched in the back of the head.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast